Recommended Training Books

Ez4

Recommended Training Books

Post by Ez4 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Currently I have Water Dog, 10 Minute Retriever, and The Working Retriever. 10 Minute Retriever seems good so far, Water Dog seems old, haven't yet gotten into the third. Are there any other books folks would recommend for training both an upland and waterfowl retriever?

EvanG

Re: Recommended Training Books

Post by EvanG » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Ez4 wrote:Currently I have Water Dog, 10 Minute Retriever, and The Working Retriever. 10 Minute Retriever seems good so far, Water Dog seems old, haven't yet gotten into the third. Are there any other books folks would recommend for training both an upland and waterfowl retriever?

The Smartwork system is a complete program that can be custom tailored to your goals. 3 detailed easy to follow books, plus 14 companion DVD's that cover all retriever fieldwork. Choose the videos that match the type of training you're interested in. There is no more modern, up to date, or complete retriever training program. Let me know if I can be of help. http://www.evan-graham.net

Evang
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:37 pm

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 pm

That is a lot of dollars worth of books on that page. Should he read them all?

I have read through about 10 of those texts, applying some or all of them to various dogs. The most practical and useful of them is the aforementioned Smart Series.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:52 pm

While not one of the big ones, one book i read years ago sticks in my mind. One particular chapter specifically titled "sins of the voice".

The book is Robert Milner's Back to Basics approach. And while he may of made some enemies in the retriever world with some comments in it, its still
a good easy read, with some good points in it, not least of which is the above mentioned chapter.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:53 am

"Hunt 'Em Up" by Joe Arnett and George Hickox was a decent book on retrievers. Mike Gould wrote a book I read many years ago that had stuck with me.

But these days I'd look for something Mike Lardy wrote.

LeonStagg

Post by LeonStagg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 pm

I really like "Tritronics Retriever Training"......always followed Dobbs' methods pretty closely.

I also use Evan Graham's SmartFetch DVDs.