Persistence Pays Off!

k31shooter

Persistence Pays Off!

Post by k31shooter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 am

Well, I had been on the forum a few times, asking questions and troubleshooting my pup. Persistence pays off! She just turned 2 and things seem to have started to click! This past hunting season she wasn’t holding point, was flash pointing and crashing and chasing. I didn’t shoot a single bird over her this past season. Just walked with her and let her "hunt". I continued to use these contacts as learning experiences and trained through the winter and the snow.

I had her on birds both Sunday and last night and had positive results. My crashing and chasing pup started pointing and is holding steady through flush and shot (with a bit of style I might add, though I might be a bit partial), and retrieving to hand(she still tries to eat the occasional bird). She was even successful on her first STF drill. I had to share with bird dog people who care about bird dogs.

I was PROUD! It is a great feeling seeing her click and all of the money for birds and time training paying off. Here is a snapshot(taken by my training mentor) from the session last night, the result of many hours of training and working dogs with good people. Not sure where I would be without my mentor and good dog people willing to share information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Persistence Pays Off!

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Good looking dog. You should be proud.

( One big mistake folks make is expecting too much too soon.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

k31shooter

Post by k31shooter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 am

I was definatly guilty of that, Maggie is my first bird dog and made some mistakes. I think i have her on the right track now.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm

k31shooter wrote:I was definatly guilty of that, Maggie is my first bird dog and made some mistakes. I think i have her on the right track now.
I think as a breed there are more Viszla's that are late maturers than the other breeds. The same thing was true of the GSP's 60 years ago and that seems to have been corrected as we see more American bred dogs come along.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:37 pm

Maggie! I love her personality. I thought that picture looked familiar. Howdy Ross.

k31shooter

Post by k31shooter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Hey Lee Fancy meeting you here! How have you been? You hear i am moving that direction?!?

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm good. Where you moving? Looking forward to seeing Maggie run.

k31shooter

Post by k31shooter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:26 pm

West Michigan. I won't be too far from ionia grounds.