Heeling problem

chrisss

Heeling problem

Post by chrisss » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:29 am

My 6 month old dd is having problems heeling off leash. He does very well with the prong collar but that's it. Any helps would be appreciated.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Heeling problem

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

Keep at it. He's still very young. I assume you are using a command and not just the prong collar.

I'll send you a link on how to use the prong collar properly.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:57 am

Try letting the dog heel while dragging the check cord before going naked. Also introducing a low level e collar in the process works. Good luck.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:27 pm

chrisss wrote:My 6 month old dd is having problems heeling off leash. He does very well with the prong collar but that's it. Any helps would be appreciated.
Keep training on leash faithfully. Keep teaching your standard. 6 months is young for a DD. Have you done, or do you plan to train him to sit?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Keep him on leash even when you get him where you want him. Dog's do mess up sometime and on a busy street it can be fatal. I think 6mos is probably to much to ask for more than you have now.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:13 pm

consistent repetition will evolve to a conditioned response. I agree with DonF though, always use a lead in dangerous places.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:43 am

Take a long leash with the prong collar, and slowly start keeping less tension on it. Eventually, the dog will get the message. Then remove the pronged collar and use the same technique. Eventually you will get to point where the dog will heel without any tension on the leash. Then go to trying it without a leash. My dogs heel on command without a leash, and are generally better off the leash than on it. Patience and consistency is the key, just like teaching them anything. I reinforce this each time we go hunting or out to train. The first few minutes and last couple of minutes the dog is under control heeling until I let him go. I believe that it reinforces that I am in control in the field and not him. It works for me, some will disagree, of that I am sure.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill