Is sending dogs to a trainer worth it?

arutch

Is sending dogs to a trainer worth it?

Post by arutch » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 pm

It's not time for me to send mine yet but for labs I was wondering if I get a good book and video can I train them just as well as if I would send them a way a month or two to have them trained? My dad has trained many retrievers but I was just wondering if sending them to a trainer is worth the money, obviously it would help training but is it that much worth it?

Big thanks to everyone who comments and gives the advice I'm looking for all my threads. I love this forum.

Big bloc

Re: Is sending dogs to a trainer worth it?

Post by Big bloc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:47 am

Yes you can. I am no pro but read a ton of books and a lot of time. I check in to the same thing 15 years ago and the trainer told me the dog was the easy part he would have to train me. After reading books I see what he meant. Just remember 5 minutes a day will get you further then 30 minutes on a weekend. I now have a 2 year old EP and still go out in the evening and do some type of training. I am happy the way she is but now doing fine tuning. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:16 am

arutch wrote:It's not time for me to send mine yet but for labs I was wondering if I get a good book and video can I train them just as well as if I would send them a way a month or two to have them trained? My dad has trained many retrievers but I was just wondering if sending them to a trainer is worth the money, obviously it would help training but is it that much worth it?

Big thanks to everyone who comments and gives the advice I'm looking for all my threads. I love this forum.
It's only worth it if the pro is actually a good pro. Remember, as odd as it may sound, a trainer is only a pro because he accepts money for doing it, not necessarily because he's good at it. Do your homework.

If you have the time to train it's very rewarding, and often just as effective to do the training yourself. What are your goals?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:16 am

arutch wrote:It's not time for me to send mine yet but for labs I was wondering if I get a good book and video can I train them just as well as if I would send them a way a month or two to have them trained? My dad has trained many retrievers but I was just wondering if sending them to a trainer is worth the money, obviously it would help training but is it that much worth it?

It's only worth it if the pro is actually a good pro. Remember, as odd as it may sound, a trainer is only a pro because he accepts money for doing it, not necessarily because he's good at it. Do your homework.

If you have the time to train it's very rewarding, and often just as effective to do the training yourself. What are your goals?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr

arutch

Post by arutch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 am

EvanG wrote:What are your goals?

EvanG
Retrieving water foul and upland

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 am

I'm training my dogs these are my first hunting breeds so It's not perfect and I'm sure A lot of people would probly ask what the he!! I'm doing if they ever saw my dogs but it's works for me And I'm pretty sure I'm learning more than they are

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 am

Rakoprtr wrote:I'm training my dogs these are my first hunting breeds so It's not perfect and I'm sure A lot of people would probly ask what the he!! I'm doing if they ever saw my dogs but it's works for me And I'm pretty sure I'm learning more than they are
That's how it usually is for a while. We have to learn what we're doing so we can lead our dogs through their education properly. Thankfully we live in the information age. There is a ton of good information available, unlike when I started in the mid 1970's.

Basics are Basics. What what does that mean? It's not what you may have presumed.

The components of Basics in order

1) “Here”
2) “Heel & Sit”
3) “Hold”; automatically evolves to Walking “Hold, Heel, Sit”
4) “Fetch”; ear pinch, which evolves into Walking “Fetch” & “Fetch-no-fetch”, e-collar conditioning to “Fetch”
5) Pile work, including Mini-pile, Nine bumper pile; AKA Force to pile
6) 3-handed casting; teaching the 3 basic casts – “Back” and both “Over’s”, including 2-hands “Back”
7) Mini tee; includes collar conditioning to all basic commands, transferring to the go, stop, cast functions in micro dimension as preparation for the Single tee. Also includes De-bolting
8 ) Single tee
9) Double tee
10) Water tee with Swim-by

Get the coursework, study it, and go have fun!

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:45 am

I will answer this question with a very definite: "It depends".

For a puppy the very best "training" is spending time with its new master, bonding with them and that only requires you to be there. to mess with the pup. no trainer can do a better job of socializing your dog than you can...if you spend the time.

If you cannot spend the time to socialize and bond with your pup...don't buy a pup.

For the next level of training which is typically yardwork, that is also something that the owner can and should do. It requires about ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in the evening. It requires, at a minimum, about 200 sq. ft. (10 X 20') of open space, inside or out.

For more advanced training, very much depends on what the owner's goals and expectations are for the dog, how much time, how much space and how much knowledge is available to the owner.

In many cases, a proficient pro trainer can do things in three to four months that the owner will likely not be able to accomplish in a year or more, if ever. The trainer will have the time, facilities and equipment immediately available to them, allowing them to work the dog as often as is necessary to assure steady forward progress. The trainer will also possess the knowledge, based on experience with dozens of dogs, to accurately assess the student and avoid or work through problem areas as they occur.

Training your own dog to your own needs is one of the more rewarding things a person can do. At least it is for me. I get a huge amount of satisfaction and pleasure out of watching the dog perform, knowing that I helped guide and develop that performance.

However, one should never let their ego rule. If an amateur trainer come up against a situation or problem that they do not know how to handle, it may be the best course of action to admit you do not know and ask for help. that may ultimately mean enlisting the aid of a competent pro to help you work the dog through the issue. As much as possible, one should do what is best for the dog.

RayG

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Like many have already said, it depeneds on your goals and expectations.

Personally, I want a dog that listens in the yard to the basic obedience (sit, stay, come, down, whoa), will find me the birds in the field, handle if needed to make the retrieve, and bring the bird back to me.
My lab does this very well with my training, granted, she is a very smart dog that was easy to train. Sending her to a pro could have possibly got her into top spots in trials and such, but that was not my goal or purpose.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Depends on the trainer. I have a Pro friend here in Ontario that I think is worth every penny. He has integrity , which means you get your money's worth and an honest evaluation of your dog.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:46 pm

I think it's well worth it to attend a clinic or other type training where YOU learn how to train your own dog. I have found those types of situations more to my liking than just sending the dog off to camp without me.

Grousehunter123

Post by Grousehunter123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Yes, it absolutely can be worth it if you do your homework with the trainer. Do yourself a favor and don't plunk down a bunch do money on DVD's that are overkill for what YOU want.

If you want to do it yourself I'd recommend finding a local training group and working with others.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:46 pm

You asked in the other thread about nearby trainers - what, did the monthly fees and duration of time the trainer required put you off?

As to whether it's "worth it," depends, all right, but depends on a h*lluva lot more than the trainer. Retriever training is very structured and the dogs are trained sequentially from the age of 6-7 months to a year/year-and-half old to an advanced stage. A legitimate retriever trainer will need six months' minimum to condition, shape and progress your dog to a near-finished stage of multiple marks and blind retrieves, land and water. That's if you've got any designs on competing with the dog in tests or trials. Also with retrievers - especially the young ones on their way up - it's a h*lluva lot more demanding on both dog and trainer than with the other gundog disciplines.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:07 pm

RayGubernat wrote:I will answer this question with a very definite: "It depends".
As a 'Trainer of clients dogs I agree!

For a puppy the very best "training" is spending time with its new master, bonding with them and that only requires you to be there. to mess with the pup. no trainer can do a better job of socializing your dog than you can...if you spend the time.
This is also true!,however some folk just can't do it!..not for the wanting to! They want to, and they read how it should be,and they watch videos of it should be, but they just can't!..Just like I can't play the piano....(maybe I'm just not a pianist?)

If you cannot spend the time to socialize and bond with your pup...don't buy a pup.
Tough one!..Tough crowd!..Depending on the audience?..But this is also so true!..Planning before you get the pup would be a better way to ensure you do have the time?..Time management is used in everyone's day/week/month/year.whether we are good at it or not!?..But it is the most critical period of the 'young ones' life of learning!

For the next level of training which is typically yardwork, that is also something that the owner can and should do. It requires about ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in the evening. It requires, at a minimum, about 200 sq. ft. (10 X 20') of open space, inside or out.
This is the 'critical time',many owners lives don't fit in with the growing 'autistic creature' and those ten minutes are crucial quality time rather than essential quantity time'?...The 'Trainer' is on call 24/7 (or should be!) to give that quality at that crucial time.His job is to train the dog! The owner's job is the owners job! If the owner was out of a job he/she could afford the time and 'perhaps' the quality,but he/she could not afford the 'Trainer' ?

For more advanced training, very much depends on what the owner's goals and expectations are for the dog, how much time, how much space and how much knowledge is available to the owner.
This is where it get's to the 'Nitty /Gritty'!..Expectations for some are low standards for others!?..If a clear and precise understanding of what is achievable with both dog and owner! (I say this because there are some owners who will never handle a Field trial standard dog in the field no matter what level of dog they have!)

In many cases, a proficient pro trainer can do things in three to four months that the owner will likely not be able to accomplish in a year or more, if ever. The trainer will have the time, facilities and equipment immediately available to them, allowing them to work the dog as often as is necessary to assure steady forward progress. The trainer will also possess the knowledge, based on experience with dozens of dogs, to accurately assess the student and avoid or work through problem areas as they occur.
This is based at the higher level expectation of both dog and handler.In many cases the dog is just not going to cut the mustard! for a variety of reasons,and the owner the same!..It is also true! as said,the good trainer will have everything that is required to progress the dog,but will the owner continue the process ?,even although a sequential program has been followed with the dog?......It takes about two weeks to 'Un-train' a dog given the right circumstances?

Training your own dog to your own needs is one of the more rewarding things a person can do. At least it is for me. I get a huge amount of satisfaction and pleasure out of watching the dog perform, knowing that I helped guide and develop that performance.
I couldn't agree more!..Some just require a coach to show them how to do it.

However, one should never let their ego rule. If an amateur trainer come up against a situation or problem that they do not know how to handle, it may be the best course of action to admit you do not know and ask for help. that may ultimately mean enlisting the aid of a competent pro to help you work the dog through the issue. As much as possible, one should do what is best for the dog.
As a 'Trainer of dogs and Dog Owners' ,I often seek council from learned friends and professional colleagues ! Every day is a learning day,and the day I know everything about every dog and every dog owner will never come.

RayG
I used RayG QUOTE not as a reply personally ,merely to use his excellent post to explain my own comments .Hope you don't mind RayG ?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes, a pro is worth it.

Few new trainers have the skill, fewer still the time.

Would you be comfortable flying with a pilot that read a few books?

Count on at least four months with a trainer that comes highly recommended.

On your 4th or 5th dog, if you will commit the time, you should consider doing it yourself.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

I paid a very good Pro trainer a hourly rate to get me started. After about three sessions he just let me train with him and pay for birds I did have a fairly good knowledge of dogs, but not pointing dogs. It worked great for me.........................Cj

AZSetter

Post by AZSetter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm

In my case, yes, definitely worth it. This was my first bird dog. I was fortunate enought to get hooked up with a very good trainer who pushes his clients to be involved in the training process. I knew I needed as much if not more training than the dog. I now have a big running dog that I can handle and feel comfortable doing so.
I also have a much better understanding of the training process as well as how to read the dog. Would I do more of it myself next time? Yes, but I would be much more comfortable doing so knowing that I have a very good resource just a phone call away should I need him.
Another thing that comes out of going to a professional trainer that I don't generally see mentioned in these treads is the fact that you meet a number of like minded people also training their dogs. Weekends at my trainers are always busy with many of the owners coming to work their dogs, check on their progress, and be trained themselves. The observant owner can learn alot just watching all the other owners and their dogs at all stages of training.