Where to start?

HKeith

Where to start?

Post by HKeith » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm looking for some help regarding training a new dog. What commands to start with, dvds/books, e-collars? Any help would be appreciated. I have an English springer spaniel and a lab.

gundogguy

Re: Where to start?

Post by gundogguy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:34 am

HKeith wrote:I'm looking for some help regarding training a new dog. What commands to start with, dvds/books, e-collars? Any help would be appreciated. I have an English springer spaniel and a lab.
Which is the new dog? The ESS or the lab or is it a mix breed, and you really only have one dog. What are your standards and is this to be a working dog in the field or are you looking for obedience training for a companion dog?
Lots of questions to be answered and you will need to establish goals of achievement for you and the dog.
There is a mountain of help here but you really have to get specific in what your plans are for this dog and yourself.
Also what part of the world do you live in, that would helpful as well.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:53 am

HKeith wrote:I'm looking for some help regarding training a new dog. What commands to start with, dvds/books, e-collars? Any help would be appreciated. I have an English springer spaniel and a lab.
Start (and finish) here: www.evan-graham.net .

Click on image

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

HKeith

Post by HKeith » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:10 am

I have two dogs, ESS and Lab, I would like to start training both which I understand will be difficult for the first time. I want to hone the labs retrieving skills and start on the ESS's flushing and pointing. I'm in Florida and both pups are a year old. They have their basic commands down pretty well, the lab is a little stubborn with recall. I realize I'm a few months behind on getting started but I'm ready to go now.

HKeith

Post by HKeith » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Evan, which book and dvd should I start with? The smartworks vol. 1 is tailored to retrievers but will it also work for my ESS up to a certain point? If so what should I use to finish training my ESS?

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 am

My suggestion is the same as always, read all you can and familiarize yourself specifically with information on how dogs learn . If you clearly understanding how to teach your dog you can be successful with most of the published material on gun dog training. You might also search out a local training group. A good mentor who is willing to give hands on coaching for both you and your dog is priceless.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:25 pm

HKeith wrote:I want to hone the labs retrieving skills and start on the ESS's flushing and pointing.
I would suggest to concentrate on getting the ESS to flush rather than "teaching" it to point.

Evan's programs are well respected. See if you can also hook up with a local training group. You can learn a lot working with other trainers and handlers in a hands on environment. Best of luck with the dogs.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:30 am

HKeith wrote:I want to hone the labs retrieving skills and start on the ESS's flushing and pointing.
That may be difficult since an ESS is a flushing breed, not a pointing one.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:47 am

HKeith wrote:Evan, which book and dvd should I start with? The smartworks vol. 1 is tailored to retrievers but will it also work for my ESS up to a certain point? If so what should I use to finish training my ESS?

+1 Start with Smart works Vol 1 It covers the most important part...the basics. which is basicly the same for either breed. Without the basics we would never no just how good a dog can be!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.