Training Books

marcum

Training Books

Post by marcum » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:28 am

I've been reading this forum for a couple months now and finally decided to join. I've gotten a lot of good trips and ideas from reading but wanted to start a topic and get everyone's thoughts and ideas on it.

I've got a 4 month old lab pup I have been training out of Tom Dokken's book "Retriever Training" but am looking for other ideas too. That's just the one I started with. How do you feel about this book if you are familiar with it and what others would you recommend or are you partial to?

- Rowdy

Del Lolo

Re: Training Books

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Dokken's book is alright, but far from complete.
IMO, you can't beat Evan Graham's "Smartwork" series of books and DVDs.

Rick S

Post by Rick S » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:00 am

marcum wrote:I've been reading this forum for a couple months now and finally decided to join. I've gotten a lot of good trips and ideas from reading but wanted to start a topic and get everyone's thoughts and ideas on it.

I've got a 4 month old lab pup I have been training out of Tom Dokken's book "Retriever Training" but am looking for other ideas too. That's just the one I started with. How do you feel about this book if you are familiar with it and what others would you recommend or are you partial to?

- Rowdy
I don't know much about Dokken's book, but I highly recommend starting a puppy with Bill Hillmans puppy DVD. It breaks it down day by day and is very detailed. Follow it closely and you'll have a solid foundation that transitions well into other programs, whether it be Smartworks, Lardy's TRT, or sticking with Hillmans other DVDs. Good Luck!

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:18 am

The Smartwork system is complete, and is the most detailed program on the market. That includes a through puppy program, and all sequential steps to completely train a finished dog. One program, all the steps, and every step following the same philosophy - that makes it so much easier for both you and your dog to learn and live with. Let me know anytime I can be of help.

Step by step. The above video clip is just part of one of the steps. Want to give him your best?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:48 am

I believe there are several if not many good retriever trainers out there specializing in the water retrievers.
However, Evan Graham's work has proven itself many times over. His series would be the one I would prefer.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:08 pm

I would think the big advantage to Evan Graham's program is he's available on this Forum to answer any questions you may have. I do think that once you find a program that you understand (for the most part), stick with it. It has been said many times on this board, "don't change or mix n match" methods. You will confuse you and your dog.

marcum

Post by marcum » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:45 am

After reading through and working some of the stuff in Dokken's book, I do feel like it creates some gaps in the training where I am left wondering how to fill them in. That's how I found this forum. I want something that feels complete! Evan's Smartworks program looks like what I am looking for. Plus, as AZ Brittany Guy mentioned, it seems like a huge benefit that Evan Graham is on this forum to back his program!

I'm sold on Smartworks. As much as I would love to pull the trigger on the complete system, that's just not in the budget right now with Christmas coming soon. But I would like to get started on the program. Getting into the Smartworks what would be the first couple dvd's or books you would recommend to start with?

Rowdy

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:50 am

Why don't you give me a call sometime today at 816-213-9397 and we'll match materials with your needs & budget. Or email to rushcreekpress@aol.com

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum