new english pointer

Hoosierpointer

new english pointer

Post by Hoosierpointer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:34 pm

I bought 2, 15 week old English pointers. One for myself and the other for my 13 year old son. I know not to train them together. But what system would you recommend. For us to follow? We would likevto do some of thectraining on our own before sending them out. The mother was elves lines and the rapture copper nickel lines.
I would like system thatcstarts with a solid obedience foundation and goes from there.

Thanks
Matthew

gotpointers

Re: new english pointer

Post by gotpointers » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Perfect start and perfect finish will get it done without the need for a trainer. If you have the time to spend. Glad to see you got a good breed right off the bat. :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:18 am

Speak with the trainer you plan to "send them out" to, it would be unfortunate to start them in a way that would be counter productive to what your trainer of choice would do.

Alot of pro's would rather have a complete green dog to work with than one thats been fooled with.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:14 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Speak with the trainer you plan to "send them out" to, it would be unfortunate to start them in a way that would be counter productive to what your trainer of choice would do.

Alot of pro's would rather have a complete green dog to work with than one thats been fooled with.....
Exactly what I was thinking...

Personally I use the Delmar Smith method.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:15 am

gotpointers wrote:Perfect start and perfect finish will get it done without the need for a trainer. If you have the time to spend. Glad to see you got a good breed right off the bat. :D
If you have the time to work with them everyday this is an easy method and will get results. I couldn't imagine sending a pup to a trainer when these vids are out there. Very easy. Just takes time, patience and the ability to read your dog.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:10 am

Get Maurice Lindly's book and video.
Mo. is on this board. :)

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:50 pm

where do you find Mo's video? I have looked and looked.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:31 am

duckn66 wrote:
gotpointers wrote:Perfect start and perfect finish will get it done without the need for a trainer. If you have the time to spend. Glad to see you got a good breed right off the bat. :D
If you have the time to work with them everyday this is an easy method and will get results. I couldn't imagine sending a pup to a trainer when these vids are out there. Very easy. Just takes time, patience and the ability to read your dog.
:minigun:

Also there's going to be some " lost in translation" when the dog comes home from the trainer. Also if my truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere I want to be familiar with what's under the hood.