Searching for trainer near cincinnati

dasfzero

Searching for trainer near cincinnati

Post by dasfzero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 am

Can any one point me to some good trainers near cincinnati. I dont mind a 2 hr drive but would love to find someplace closer. I have not chosen a breed yet. I am looking to purchase within the next 6mo.
Suggestions for breeders would also be nice. I like the german shorthair pointers, english pointers, brttanys, english springers, labs. Any other breeds you think I should consider? I think I may be leaning torwards a breed that does not need hair cuts. I grew up with an english springer.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Searching for trainer near cincinnati

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:38 am

Contact Dave "Jonsey" Jones. He is just south of you in KY...he's online here as well.

David Jones
136 Red Lick Rd.
Berea, Ky 40403
85nine - 985 - 291eight

Echo Hill Kennel

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 am

I have a really nice gsp litter due the first of May and another one around May 10th
email or pm me if you would like more info.
www.echohillkennel.com

Blake

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:45 am

Are you planning on purchasing a puppy, started dog, or perhaps even a finished dog? Sometimes spending the money to get one that you can hunt right out of the box makes good sense and minimizes risk. You can see exactly what the dog is made of, how it hunts, obvious faults it may have, so on and so forth. Most people just see the initial cost of a puppy versus one that is older and has had some training and think they can save a lot of money by buying the pup. In most cases, this just isn't so. The direction you chose will also have an impact on the choice of trainers, so what's your thinking on age and initial training?

klewis

Post by klewis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:13 pm

whoadog wrote:Are you planning on purchasing a puppy, started dog, or perhaps even a finished dog? Sometimes spending the money to get one that you can hunt right out of the box makes good sense and minimizes risk. You can see exactly what the dog is made of, how it hunts, obvious faults it may have, so on and so forth. Most people just see the initial cost of a puppy versus one that is older and has had some training and think they can save a lot of money by buying the pup. In most cases, this just isn't so. The direction you chose will also have an impact on the choice of trainers, so what's your thinking on age and initial training?
# 1 on this,buying a well started you can what it will do and not do.

dasfzero

Post by dasfzero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 pm

whoadog wrote:Are you planning on purchasing a puppy, started dog, or perhaps even a finished dog? .... so what's your thinking on age and initial training?
I am leaning towards a puppy because I view the dog as a family member as well and would like it to grow up with me. I am open to looking at ones that are a little bit older and have a little training under their belt. I want a dog that will make a great companion in the field so I can see the advantage of getting one that is a little bit older but would also like to get it at as young of an age as possible.

At what age can if be figured out if the dog is capable of being a good hunter? I dont need a perfect dog that is going to win championships. I just want one that I can go hunt upland game every fall and he does a good job.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

whoadog wrote:Are you planning on purchasing a puppy, started dog, or perhaps even a finished dog? Sometimes spending the money to get one that you can hunt right out of the box makes good sense and minimizes risk. You can see exactly what the dog is made of, how it hunts, obvious faults it may have, so on and so forth. Most people just see the initial cost of a puppy versus one that is older and has had some training and think they can save a lot of money by buying the pup. In most cases, this just isn't so. The direction you chose will also have an impact on the choice of trainers, so what's your thinking on age and initial training?
x2 in the long run the expense isn't that much more then buying a puppy.

But the bond you have from getting and raising a dog from a puppy is much stronger. Learning to read a dog and a dog learning to read you is much easily accomplished doing so from 8 weeks old. Jmo.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 am

dasfzero wrote:I am leaning towards a puppy because I view the dog as a family member as well and would like it to grow up with me.
Puppies are fun. I don't have any contacts in your area but I would suggest you look for a breeder/trainer within about 200 miles with young dogs, 6-9 months old, for sale that have completed a puppy program and has been in the dog business for more than 10 years. After spending that much time with the dog, any trainer worth his salt will be able to tell you exactly what you are getting. Also, if they have been doing business for a while, they also understand the importance of repeat clientele so they will be honest with you and try to fit the dog to the client.

If you choose to go this route, you still get a dog that still has some development left in which you can participate. You might also find it easier for the dog to become the true hunting companion and family member. You are correct in your assumption that sometimes an adult dog that is finished simply will not bond as well as a younger dog but this is true between individual puppies as well.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm

It sounds like you just want a good hunting dog not a trial dog. There is no reason you couldn't train the dog yourself. Consider joining NAVHDA it is a good place to learn with people willing to help. I'm pretty sure there is a good litter of shorthairs hitting the ground soon north of Colombus. Good luck and happy hunting