New GSH pup

Craig

New GSH pup

Post by Craig » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm new at this. I've owned several Labs over the years. I have a 10 week old GSH. He comes from good hunting stock here in Central California. I am anxious to get him introduced to the field. I'm in the process of puppy shots. The Vet has really insisted that I not take the dog anywhere until he is fully protected from Parvo because we live in an area where it's a real problem. He will be 4 months old by then. I"m disappointed to say the least Any information on starting in in the field so late would be appreciated.

jcbuttry8

Re: New GSH pup

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 pm

welcome to the club. You will be fine. I recieved my new GSP just a few weeks ago and just started her in the field last week. She is 4 mos today. So, far it has just been long walks at the bird dog club and intro to pigeons. Just a few each trip out. She did get into a few quail yesterday and I really do love watching a first timer lock up and look back like " what do I do now." You and your pup will be fine. Remember to take it slow and have fun. Let the pup be a pup.

IF anything, start working on yard work and recall in the yard. You can never have enough yard work done. That way when you do get to the field you are already ahead of the game, but your puppy is young so make it fun always.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Joe

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:30 pm

I just got a new puppy on Christmas, 12 weeks old today. I plan on having him in gun dog stakes at 6 months. Field champion by the futurity.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:54 am

Get that pup out. He needs to social. See new surroundings. Don't just sit home and wait.

johnboy31

Post by johnboy31 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:25 am

Where in central california are you from i myself am from centralcalifornia i
Just got a 10 week old english pointer for christmas maby we
Could hook up an do some training together

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 am

Vet told me the same thing. They said bakersfield is real bad with parvo. I was worried i wouldn't be able to give my pup the correct "conditioning" for the first few months but I had a GSP that got parvo about 10 years ago and I didn't want to go through that again. My GWP had her last shots about 2 months ago and started taking her on her runs and stuff and there has been no problems. She is coming along very nice. Just spend as much time as you can with pup without getting it out where other dogs are.

I got a book called "How To Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" by Joan Baily. It has helped me a lot.

Paul
'tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

"Isn't it amazing that almost everyone has an opinion to offer about the Bible, and yet so few have studied it."
R.C. Sproul

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am

Craig wrote:I'm new at this. I've owned several Labs over the years. I have a 10 week old GSH. He comes from good hunting stock here in Central California. I am anxious to get him introduced to the field. I'm in the process of puppy shots. The Vet has really insisted that I not take the dog anywhere until he is fully protected from Parvo because we live in an area where it's a real problem. He will be 4 months old by then. I"m disappointed to say the least Any information on starting in in the field so late would be appreciated.
That is not too late to start in the field but he does need to be socialized before that. Problem is going to the field presents little exposure to desease but it is the dog parks, animal hospitals and any plce else frequented regularly by other dogs that presents the greatest exposure. Personally I would try to stay away from parks and hospitals but would risk most anything else once it has had it's first and second round of shots. The rewards outweigh the consequences in my mind.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 am

ultracarry wrote:I just got a new puppy on Christmas, 12 weeks old today. I plan on having him in gun dog stakes at 6 months. Field champion by the futurity.
ROFLMBO - that's how I used to think before reality hit. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Craig wrote:I'm new at this. I've owned several Labs over the years. I have a 10 week old GSH. He comes from good hunting stock here in Central California. I am anxious to get him introduced to the field. I'm in the process of puppy shots. The Vet has really insisted that I not take the dog anywhere until he is fully protected from Parvo because we live in an area where it's a real problem. He will be 4 months old by then. I"m disappointed to say the least Any information on starting in in the field so late would be appreciated.
That is not too late to start in the field but he does need to be socialized before that. Problem is going to the field presents little exposure to desease but it is the dog parks, animal hospitals and any plce else frequented regularly by other dogs that presents the greatest exposure. Personally I would try to stay away from parks and hospitals but would risk most anything else once it has had it's first and second round of shots. The rewards outweigh the consequences in my mind.

Ezzy

+1 with Ezzy's comments. I didn't take my pup to ANY dog park until she was done with her vaccinations. Once she was done I only took her maybe four times the whole summer because I consider them a petri dish: so little land with so many dog contact with no idea of whether all the dogs themselves are updated on vaccinations. Wisconsin has parcels of land to run on via a training permit. Between them and my dad's land it was running with my other dogs, having my pup mingle with my dad's beagle pups, lots of birds and cover. Does California have a training permit program? Ever considered talking to the breeder you received the pup from to find out where he lets his dogs run? Maybe look for a local NAVDHA chapter or club with dovetailing interests?