Brittany's shaken confidence

ToddW7

Brittany's shaken confidence

Post by ToddW7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:35 pm

I have a year old Brittany, who for the last several months has on command, jumped onto my truck tailgate and entered her crate. Last weekend we were out in the field, and I don't know if when we got back to the truck if she was a little tired, or had wet paws, but when she jumped for the tailgate, she didn't make it and fell to the ground. She did make it on the second attempt and I didn't think anything about it. At the house today, I went to have her load into her crate in the truck bed, and she was so excited to go (she knew we were going to go have some fun), but she wouldn't jump up. She squatted like she was going to jump, she yelped excitedly like she wanted to go, but she acted intimidated. She did take a jump and didn't make it, then she wouldn't try anymore, although she would squat as in preparing to jump. She had been given the command to get in her crate, but she acted like she was scared of falling again. I don't want to pick her up, because I don't want her to expect me to for the rest of her life. How should I handle this situation?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittany's shaken confidence

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Give her a few days and see if she is just sore from smacking the tailgate.

I have a lifted tacoma, mine would jump in (over the side) until she smacked the side of the bed... Took a few days and she will load in the back... Or cab when I ask. Just wait her out but make sure she is healthy first.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Could be she hurt something

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:48 pm

ToddW7 wrote:I have a year old Brittany, who for the last several months has on command, jumped onto my truck tailgate and entered her crate. Last weekend we were out in the field, and I don't know if when we got back to the truck if she was a little tired, or had wet paws, but when she jumped for the tailgate, she didn't make it and fell to the ground. She did make it on the second attempt and I didn't think anything about it. At the house today, I went to have her load into her crate in the truck bed, and she was so excited to go (she knew we were going to go have some fun), but she wouldn't jump up. She squatted like she was going to jump, she yelped excitedly like she wanted to go, but she acted intimidated. She did take a jump and didn't make it, then she wouldn't try anymore, although she would squat as in preparing to jump. She had been given the command to get in her crate, but she acted like she was scared of falling again. I don't want to pick her up, because I don't want her to expect me to for the rest of her life. How should I handle this situation?
I'd help her out . She'll forget about the bad experience soon. My vet says that she gets a lot of dogs injured by jumping up into the crate/ onto the tail gate.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ToddW7

Post by ToddW7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I will wait a few days then try again.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 pm

ToddW7 wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. I will wait a few days then try again.
Do you and the pup a favor and lift her in and don't let her jump down either. Probably more dogs injured doing just that than any other way, Some of them get very expensive.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Freakish thing, but we had a "broken femur" thread here last year from a dog jumping out of the bed of a truck. I agree with Ezzy - better not to risk it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:41 pm

I agree with Ezzy on this one. Lift her in. For the first 18 mos, dogs aren't even allowed to enter agility classes with any jumping. Too many injuries to growing pups' bodies. I may be silly, but I now err on the side of caution with pups under a year and a half. Until the joints and growth plates are done, I just don't chance an injury that can be easily prevented. The more you learn about dogs, the more you can prevent if you're paying attention. I learned my lessons the hard way!

Jumping off the porch:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 am

I lift my dogs into tailgated vehicles. I've seen 3 dogs injured when jumping into them in just 2 years.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 am

I still have to lift Buster and Stella in to this day.

Funny story: I had one little French Brit Bart: he was all of 35 pounds soaking wet but could he jump. One day for some reason He decided to jump into the front of the truck through the window. The window was up, looked just like a Tom and Jerry Cartoon. Talk about confused. I felt bad but could not stop laughing, in fact I am chuckling as I write this.

Injuries are a concern. Slippery surfaces always will get a dog hurt.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Funny story: I had one little French Brit Bart: he was all of 35 pounds soaking wet but could he jump. One day for some reason He decided to jump into the front of the truck through the window. The window was up, looked just like a Tom and Jerry Cartoon. Talk about confused. I felt bad but could not stop laughing, in fact I am chuckling as I write this.
Dang, that little dude had HOPS. That is freaking hilarious. :lol:

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 am

AzDoggin wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:Funny story: I had one little French Brit Bart: he was all of 35 pounds soaking wet but could he jump. One day for some reason He decided to jump into the front of the truck through the window. The window was up, looked just like a Tom and Jerry Cartoon. Talk about confused. I felt bad but could not stop laughing, in fact I am chuckling as I write this.
Dang, that little dude had HOPS. That is freaking hilarious. :lol:

+2! Funny Stuff!

My 3 month old Frenchie came flying up on the deck the other day.... she thought the patio door was open.... nope, mom had just cleaned the glass is all. Pretty good thump! And then the look like "What the H@LL just happened" LOL for sure...

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

I will chime in with a loading story. My first bird dog was a big athletic English Pointer, he was really way too much dog for me at the time. The one lesson that I did a very good job teaching him was to load in the truck. I drove a Chevy S10 at the time, and if you told him to load when he happened to be in front of the truck he would jump over the cab in to the bed of the truck.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Cpainter: Funny. I had just cleaned my truck when that happened. One of the five times in my life I have had a clean truck. :oops:

AZ: I always expected coming home from work that little dog would be stuck up on top of the 6foot high kennel fence. When he would jump his head would be even with the top rail.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Help the little guy on to the tail gate. What's the big deal?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:21 pm

I agree with others on here. If the dog needs help, help her. I ran Britts for years, excellent dogs but many are not as resilient as other big breeds like shorthairs or English pointers. You could also try laying a board against the tailgate and let her walk up. Just slide the board in beside the box when you close the tailgate, your not helping her per se, but you are lending a hand and possibly avoiding an injury. Several years ago I was training a young Brittany ( a grandson of the late great Tuminski's Cribb) he was running down a mowed path and slipped. He let out a horrible yelp/scream that put my hair on end. He laid still for a minute and then got up and resumed his running. But everytime we passed that particular spot for months after he would give the area where he fell a wide berth. Dogs are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. He did not have a permanent injury, just limped a little afterward, but he seemed to know that certain spot caused his pain. Brittanies are very intelligent. Good luck

eric

cptn

Post by cptn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 am

I'd give her a lift. :]

Even though she is young and spritely now, continued jumping into the truck bed over the years can do a number of the hips and joints.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"