how often to train?

BIGINNER

how often to train?

Post by BIGINNER » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:12 pm

How much times a week is good for training? Or is everyday ideal? I'm talking 20 min. Setions

Grousewing

Re: how often to train?

Post by Grousewing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:35 am

I work dogs twice a day, 15-30 mins each session and 6-7 days a week.
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:23 am

What are you trying to.accomplish? Where is the dog at? How old.is the dog? Can you.read your dog?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:09 am

I trained every other day and inbetween days, we happytimed. Now I'm afraid I don't as much as I should, :( but the boy's retain most things pretty good.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 am

DonF wrote:I trained every other day and inbetween days, we happytimed. Now I'm afraid I don't as much as I should, :( but the boy's retain most things pretty good.
Don with the young ones, if a person is going to err, it should be in the direction you described rather than over training. Keep those pup's tails waggin' :D

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 am

AzDoggin wrote:
DonF wrote:I trained every other day and inbetween days, we happytimed. Now I'm afraid I don't as much as I should, :( but the boy's retain most things pretty good.
Don with the young ones, if a person is going to err, it should be in the direction you described rather than over training. Keep those pup's tails waggin' :D
Absolutely!!!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

BIGINNER

Post by BIGINNER » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 am

ultracarry wrote:What are you trying to.accomplish? Where is the dog at? How old.is the dog? Can you.read your dog?
well i have a 2 year old weim. that is a great hunter, but i want him steady to wing and shot, right now he breaks at flush...

i also have a 4 year old weim, same deal here.

and i have a 7 week old weim pup.

all the dogs are at my house. outside in thier kennels. i think i am pretty good with reading my dogs, i've been working alot on that a pay attention well. at least i think i do.
i just don't want to overtrain the dogs, and i also don't want to have too slack of a schedule just in case they forget what they learned..(i know they won't forget, but still..) lol. i usually train 6-7 days a week. on bad weather days we just have a fun day with the dogs. and i haven't started anything with the pup yet. she usually stays insaide and plays with my kid. and i play a little retrieving with her once in a while in the hallway.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 am

BIGINNER wrote:
ultracarry wrote:What are you trying to.accomplish? Where is the dog at? How old.is the dog? Can you.read your dog?
well i have a 2 year old weim. that is a great hunter, but i want him steady to wing and shot, right now he breaks at flush...

i also have a 4 year old weim, same deal here.

and i have a 7 week old weim pup.

all the dogs are at my house. outside in thier kennels. i think i am pretty good with reading my dogs, i've been working alot on that a pay attention well. at least i think i do.
i just don't want to overtrain the dogs, and i also don't want to have too slack of a schedule just in case they forget what they learned..(i know they won't forget, but still..) lol. i usually train 6-7 days a week. on bad weather days we just have a fun day with the dogs. and i haven't started anything with the pup yet. she usually stays insaide and plays with my kid. and i play a little retrieving with her once in a while in the hallway.

I happy time my dogs ALOT. 3-5days a week. I am fortunate to have wild birds to work with so I just let em run and hunt. Once i start to do yard work (I start late) I do 10-15mins a night on the check cord with yard drills, hopefully after I have run the puppy out of them for about an hour.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:40 pm

I would work dogs every day if I could. One day just run. One day whoa work. One day retrieving work, etc. Break it up and make it fun. Don't beat a dead horse, etc.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Yep

Depends on the Dogs age and what they are ready for

break it up ..set some small goals if it takes a couple minutes to get it I will put them on the chain gang to let them absorb what they learned ...then come back and repeat to see if they got it
When I go to my dog I again set an attainable goal and if it take a couple minutes great but I will stick with it and take smaller steps if needed ..It takes as long as it takes

I look at training sessions as placing the ingredients together and the chain gang is where they can simmer and allow the training to gain the flavor :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

kninebirddog wrote:

Yep

Depends on the Dogs age and what they are ready for

Just right. But it also depends on what you're training for. I recently got a new under two-year-old Wirehair with no real bird training, but well-socialized and mentally stable. My goals were bird work and obedience work. I trained on birds three days a week and obedience on non-bird days only, so as not to explode his fuzzy little dog head. However, after following this prcedure for two months, I now realize he is optimistic, has an enormous capacity for work (if not done too long at one time)and is VERY mentally tough. So the obedience work is now 7 days a week. If I notice a diminuation of enthusiasm, I'll back off.

Depends on the dog.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 pm

I've been working on fetching and whoa breaking the past few weeks and what I've found works well for both my schedule and my pup is everyday after work we walk to the park. I'll do a couple whoas on the way, no more than four and I heel him when we cross roads. Once we are at the park he gets to run off leash and get some energy out...once he's explored for a while I'll call him into heel, whoa him and toss a bumper and send him after it. We'll practice 4-6 fetching drills depending on how excited he is about it then I'll stop giving commands..I'll still toss the bumper if he wants to chase it but I don't reinforce him picking it up if he wants to ignore it. After some more free time I'll leash him up again and do a couple more whoas on the way home. I've found that Briar learns new commands much quicker when on this system because it is in small intervals during fun time. Then, every weekend or every other weekend I've been trying to get him on a couple pigeons as well. It's been a good schedule and on weekdays it really only takes 30 - 45 mins after work and were done...it's also just enough exercise and mental stimulation that he's not hyper for the rest of the evening.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Trainers tell adults not to work the same muscles two day in a row. Aerobic work or backyard training every second day is what i do.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm

With my 10 month old pointer we generally do something everyday for 30min or 1hour if we are just handling. I whoa train when coming/going to the crate, whoa going outside and inside (stops bolting), and whoa before feeding. Although I run the fields for handling and throw a couple recalls in there for good measure. Yard drills such as walking on lead one direction goes to a dairy farm and I have gotten over her angst about cows that come up to greet us. The other direction is an organic egg/chicken farm and farm dogs that we encounter. We finish up with whoa on and off lead as well as whoa then I walk 50 yards and do a recall/stop/recall. We run the ridge where grouse/woodcock could be found she does get birdy but keeps moving and the bird bumps and she stops to the flush. She will get the hint from the ruffs any day now. I have worked on her retrieving in the hallway with a bumper. She didn't like it at first but it increased exponentially. One retrieve the first day, third day 5 then I kept it at 5 retrieves in the hallway for a few weeks. Brought her outside on the check cord for a week doing 5 retrieves a day commanding "here". That increased to throwing full bore and letting her chase it for a week with 3 out of 5 to hand or close to it with the other two dropped halfway, then she would come to me then cast her back out to pick it up. I finally have her to the point where I bomb it out there and no matter where I walk to she brings it to me. I may being whoaing her before throwing it now that I think about it...hmm never analyzed my own dog before :idea:

My 5 year old male gets conditioning 3-5 days a week for 45min to 2hours of ridge running with handling and wild bird contacts with a starter pistol.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Every time you see pup you are training it. Every thing you do is a learning thing for pup. Let pup run amd play, he will tell ya when he is wore out.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 am

Never miss an op to keep dogs sharp on OB- ie when walking- when someone shows up at farm etc- formal training starts march 1st and I do at least 6 sessions per week- varied and always fun for dogs- usually work two or three together.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:25 am

Training is 24 -7 Every chance you get, the interaction between you and your dog should be one of positive reinforcement. When you are allowing your dog to do something you are training your dog to do that very thing. The dog has his senses up all the time and every cue wether intended or not is recorded in the dogs mind.As far as formal training for a wanted behavior that depends on the motivation of the dog. If the dog is gleefully working toward a goal there is no reason to stop. Training with positive reinforcement allows you to work for longer periods of time. If you train with food rewards the hungrier the dog is the more motivated the dog is to perform . A dog that is being trained using negative reinforcement will lose interest sooner in the program and will show signs of its disinterest . As you spend time with the dog you will learn to see these signs and know you went to far giving you an idea of how long you can bring it the next time. Always finish on a positive performance. A little every day is great and results are commensurate with the time spent.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:49 pm

A little every day is great and results are commensurate with the time spent.
I think we need to be a little more specific as it has been proved over and over that a young pup is not ready for constant training and you ever refer to it when you said you will know when you did too much.

I think it would be much more informative to say a couple of short sessions a day might be helpful but every pup needs down time even more than we do. And it is very easy to do too much when a pup is young. Later when the pup is nearing physical and mental maturity is will be much more able to handle training, both time wise and intensity wise. More dogs are ruined by too much training too young than there are with too little. The most important feature of any training is patience both in time and intensity.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.