Bird intro.

pa outlaw

Bird intro.

Post by pa outlaw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi everyone, I was looking for what techniques you use for first bird introduction, And at what age of your pup are you doing this at ? Thank for any and all replies !

rinker

Re: Bird intro.

Post by rinker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am

I usually try to do some kind of bird introduction pretty early, probably 12 weeks plus or minus. I usually either use a 'pigeon on a pole' or johnny house quail. I really have no expectations of the pup, some point right away and some don't. It is always exciting when a pup points right away and looks good doing it, but don't get discouraged if your pup doesn't. I don't have close access to abundant wild bird populations, but if I did I would probably just run the pup in the wild and let him knock and chase birds.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 am

I start taking them for walks and let them discover that cover won't hurt them. In the process the pup will be doing it's own introduction on "bleep" birds. To the pup, a bird is a bird. For a lot of owner's, they can't get past thinking that only some pen raised bird being mauled by a pup is introduction.A bird is a bird to the pup! It is not only introduced but it is learning to hunt for them at the same time.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

crc619

Post by crc619 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:24 am

What about introducing birds to waterfowl dogs? Is it ok to throw dead ducks around the yard for the dog to retrieve? Is taking a young dog to a preseerve a good idea for an introduction? I am confident my dog will retreive dummies, but I think birds are the next step. Any advice on how to start that would be great. Thanks

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:03 pm

crc619 wrote:What about introducing birds to waterfowl dogs? Is it ok to throw dead ducks around the yard for the dog to retrieve? Is taking a young dog to a preseerve a good idea for an introduction? I am confident my dog will retreive dummies, but I think birds are the next step. Any advice on how to start that would be great. Thanks
I would be very cautious taken your pup to the preserve, unless you are very confident that he is not gun shy. There tends to be a lot of shooting going on.

crc619

Post by crc619 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 pm

cstokes/southeast,ks wrote:
crc619 wrote:What about introducing birds to waterfowl dogs? Is it ok to throw dead ducks around the yard for the dog to retrieve? Is taking a young dog to a preseerve a good idea for an introduction? I am confident my dog will retreive dummies, but I think birds are the next step. Any advice on how to start that would be great. Thanks
I would be very cautious taken your pup to the preserve, unless you are very confident that he is not gun shy. There tends to be a lot of shooting going on.
Thanks for the heads up. Almost forgot about the bang! I just began with a starters pistol. I did do some work with her on a couple thawed ducks and no problems. Thanks again

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:49 am

I start pups on birds at about 3.5-4 months of age. Using pen raised quail, I always start in the woods. I like the woods for a few reasons. Scenting conditions are good because of less wind, and birds can't burrow in. Birds can run easily, and be seen easily. Pups really like that when introducing birds. Most important though, in the woods there are both visual and physical obstructions that keep pups from catching poor flying birds. In a field, a 4 month old dog can see and run down a poor flying bird. That can still happen in the woods, but it is far more unlikely.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:15 am

With the 2 pups I've intro ed to birds as soon as I got them. 1 at 3 months and the other at 7 weeks. Here's what I did. Built a wire cage for the birds ( pigeons). Put the birds in and placed were the pups could see it. In an area they could come and go as they please. Only takes about 3 days for the pups to get excited when the pigeons flap their wings. They need to get close to birds with out getting slapped in the face. After that its a clipped wing pigeons tossed for a retrives. As many times as it takes . When you feel your pup has (NO) fear of birds. Then a clipped winged pigeon tossed for a retrive followed by a 22 blank.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm

I think I formally introduced my pup to pigeons at 4 months. Used three birds, first bird I held and played around with him and then tossed it and let him chase. Then I put him on a check cord and planted two dizzied birds and led him to them. Had a buddy flush them and let the pup chase. Next time out I pulled the flight feathers on a bird and toyed with the pup, tossed and let him get a mouthful of feathers. Did that a handful of times just playing with the pup. Planted another couple birds for him to find....after that it was hunting season so he was just bumping wild birds for the next few months.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:52 am

I think one thing is painfully true. There's a number of ways to introduce dogs to birds and all will work so long as you don't let a really young pup beat up by a bird.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:41 pm

The earlier the better. I had my last litter on birds at 4wks with pigeons in a cage, then a kick trap by 5wks. Mike50 gave good advice.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

I introduce the litters we have to birds before they leave at 8 weeks. I'm not as careful as most of you as I let the pups find and chase a pigeon that can't fly. But I have never worried about the pups getting slapped as I have never seen a pup that was deterred if they are as aggressive as our Brittany puppies. And from there we go to pheasants as they get old enough to find them. But I don't worry about them having a lot of bird contacts when they are young and still being worked in the yard. I think too many results in a lot of bad habits that can be avoided when they are young.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 pm

DonF wrote:I think one thing is painfully true. There's a number of ways to introduce dogs to birds and all will work so long as you don't let a really young pup beat up by a bird.
Can't improve on that information.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 am

ttp://www.shootingsportsman.com/wingshooting- ... tion-birds good video that might help you

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:44 am

4dabirds wrote:ttp://www.shootingsportsman.com/wingshooting- ... tion-birds good video that might help you
http://www.shootingsportsman.com/wingsh ... tion-birds

fixed that linky. I like George's use of that U-shaped fence for early retrieving. Good idea. I use a hallway in the house - but the wife won't allow live birds in there. :D

I've used a nylon mesh bag for pigeons with young pups also. They get all the scent and get fired up.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:07 am

AzDoggin wrote:
4dabirds wrote:ttp://www.shootingsportsman.com/wingshooting- ... tion-birds good video that might help you
http://www.shootingsportsman.com/wingsh ... tion-birds

fixed that linky. I like George's use of that U-shaped fence for early retrieving. Good idea. I use a hallway in the house - but the wife won't allow live birds in there. :D

I've used a nylon mesh bag for pigeons with young pups also. They get all the scent and get fired up.
Thanks i did not realize I cut off the h. Yes the fence makes a big difference the bird cant get away from the dog and you don't have to chase both of them.

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:13 am

When pup is about 3-6 mos old(after gunfire intro) i take them to game farm to intro them-these are labs and goldens-I use only hens- tape wings-let pup see them then let bird run to cover and i see what they do-most think it's great fun-and happily chase bird and bring it back- some bring to hand some drop -no biggie at first- do this till bird about dead- then throw it in air from distance- and then hide it in cover and walk up dog- don't make it too long a session- after 2-3 times pup is fine with birds-my dogs get a lot of exposure to upland and waterfowl-never had a pup that liked frozen birds-intor to geese can be fun- esp from water-usually first one suprises then when they feel how heavy it is when they get to shore.

uplandguide

Post by uplandguide » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 am

Just make it fun and exciting for your dog. Flapping wings in a pen is very exciting. Then it is time for the bump and chase, lots of walks with what ever he or she can find out there.. take your time. it is amazing what your dog already has an instinct to do...
Mcshane's Bringing on another Chance "Hattie" NA PR 1

Sire : DC Gambles Sam Man MH UT PR1
Dam : Friedelsheim's Greenwood Greta NA PR1

Jesse