gsp puppy where to start

chevyman82181

gsp puppy where to start

Post by chevyman82181 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I got a deposit on a gsp puppy. I am suppose to get it in march. Where do i start? I am excited and want to hunt everything with it. Never went grouse, pheasent, dove, duck, quil hunting [or rabbit hunting with a dog for that fact]. I want to do it all. I got two nephews that are 13 and 14 and love to hunt. They want to go after everything. I love being in the woods so why not. Where do i start with the pup for training. I know obedeince training first. Is wing on a string really bad to train with. What about a bumper with a pheasent pelt wrrapped around it.[seen it at gander mountain] Would that be bad to play fetch with. When should whoa training take place? Is it better to flush yourself then the dog? Im new at this last dog was the wifes lap rat. growing up had beagle but never really trained them they where outside dogs. Didnt really have anyone to help train or wanted to hunt much so im starting out from scratch thanks guys

ymepointer

Re: gsp puppy where to start

Post by ymepointer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:05 pm

I would start by joining a dog training/testing club like NAVHDA or VHDF....for a very small investment, you will gain access to training knowledge and help that will help you reach your goals and make a bunch of new friends to boot! :D

http://www.navhda.org/

and

http://www.vhdf.org/

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Read 'Wing and Shot'. It's a classic that'll get you in the right frame of mind and excited to get your little prospect! Congrats by the way :lol:
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Vision

Post by Vision » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:31 am

The first 3-5 months take the pup everywhere you can take a dog.

Take it to the fields and just let it run around.

Put a collar on it with a short rope attached and let the pup drag it around.

Spoil it, love it and make you the center of it's world.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:36 am

I second the previous suggestions. If you have never trained a gundog...GET HELP.

There is nothing like having someone who knows what to do, show you. Just remember that many of the folks that are into games and testing have a goal in mind that may well be far different than yours. Navhda folks, for example, are usually training with the goal of passing a hunting test. You may not need or want to train your dog to that level. Learn what they have to teach and have fun with your dog as you see fit.

Do not stop at Wing and Shot. Read a half dozen, or more books on the subject. Watch a couple of DVD's if you can get hold of them.

One thing you stated, I will dispute. You said "obedience first." I disagree. '

The very first thing you should do with your new hunting partner is to make absolutely sure that the dog thinks the sun rises and sets on you. You are where the fun is at...you are where the dog wants to be...you are who the dog wants to be with.

THAT is first.

Good luck and have fun.

RayG

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 am

http://www.georgehickox.com/. Check out this site read published articles. It's a good source of info

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Teach HERE with food.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:06 pm

I would highly recommend the Perfect Start DVD by Perfection Kennel - some real good information for starting a pup.

Also, as a caution to you - for the first hunting season with this dog, she/he will need ONE shooter, shooting once at a bird and shooting ONLY when she/he points the bird. I only say this as I have 17 and 18 year old nephews who were 11 and 12 when I got my Vizsla. It was very hard for them to understand the rules when hunting over a first-year dog. If you follow this advice, you will have many, many good years ahead of the dog (we just took out our 12 year old pointer today and had some great hunting). If you instead rush things with the pup and have multiple shooters over the dog it's first year out and you shoot everything that flushes in front of you....you will likely cause some real serious problems with the dog for quite a while.

I see more problems with people complaining about the dog being gunshy or the dog bumping/flushing birds and when you get down to what the training has been, it's a group of guys that just can't handle only shooting when the pup does the right thing and they're firing away at every bird in the field. Your need to shoot birds has to take a backseat to training the puppy correctly - it's hard for a lot of folks especially if you're taking a "special" trip out of state or something like that. The rules don't change on a first year pup just because South Dakota or Kansas have a ton of birds.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Get a 10' piece of closeline and put it on the pup when you pick it up. Take it off in the house and put it back on when you go outside with it. The first thing I do when I pick a new one up is that. They will out grow it pretty quick, just make it a bit longer, 15'. Arounf four or five month's go to a 7/16th piece of stiff close woven nylon with a cotton core. Make it 20' and hook it up with a snap. Let the pup drag it thru everything, mud puddles are great. What happens is they soak up water and dirt and get even stiffer. In the evenings, read your books and watch the video's.

eight week old puppy on it's check cord
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:52 pm

DonF wrote:Get a 10' piece of closeline and put it on the pup when you pick it up. Take it off in the house and put it back on when you go outside with it. The first thing I do when I pick a new one up is that. They will out grow it pretty quick, just make it a bit longer, 15'. Arounf four or five month's go to a 7/16th piece of stiff close woven nylon with a cotton core. Make it 20' and hook it up with a snap. Let the pup drag it thru everything, mud puddles are great. What happens is they soak up water and dirt and get even stiffer. In the evenings, read your books and watch the video's.

eight week old puppy on it's check cord
Great advise, as are the previous posts.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

chevyman82181

Post by chevyman82181 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:17 pm

What does that do as far as the rope with the dog. Get it use to haveing a leash on it? Or is it something for training.
Thanks everyone for your great info.

bigmike86

Post by bigmike86 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:38 am

Get a puppy treadmill! My GSP is about to hit 7 months and is running my wife and I into the ground! And we are both athletes! It is so much fun though, I am happy for you. Good luck!
On to force fetch.....oh boy...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 am

chevyman82181 wrote:What does that do as far as the rope with the dog. Get it use to haveing a leash on it? Or is it something for training.
Thanks everyone for your great info.
A short cord is an outstanding idea.

The rope does a bunch of things. It desensitizes the pup to a checkcord which will make future checkcord work much smoother for everyone involved. It conditions the pup to the neck as a point of contact for future prong or pinch or E-collar training.

Last and most certainly not least... it gives you a way to get hold of a lightning fast puppy headed for trouble...or just headed somewhere else. That is especially valuable to a short, fat, stumpy legged old fart like me. :lol: :lol:

RayG

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:36 am

Great choice of breed. But I'm a little prejudiced! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Listen to what everyone has to say on this site. Most important when it comes to training....Find a Mentor that knows and be a parasite. By that I mean, ask, watch, learn, listen, and emulate. After 4 years with mine, we now hit the whistles or give a command at the same time when we're training. He just looks over at me and smiles. I just look at him and grin from ear to ear. He has done his job and I'm getting it. Very rewarding on both ends. The upshot, the dog is the one that is winning. Then we have beers and laugh about it.

We need the training more than the dogs does. Train yourself, read all the books you can and adapt and change as needed with your dog. They all train a little differently.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:13 am

+1 on the mentor! Best time and money you can spend if you plan on doing any games or just train to the highest level.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:15 am

I wonder who put a pic of the wrong breed on here.... Gsps don't stNd still that long unless they are on point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.