Pup doesn't appreciate praise?

jgregg

Pup doesn't appreciate praise?

Post by jgregg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:08 pm

I've got a 14 week old german shorthair. When training him, I've run into something that strikes me as pretty different. he doesn't seem to like being petted or praised. When we practice "Here" he comes to me but once he reaches me, darts off to what he was doing before with as little attention paid to me as possible. We never hit him or punish him, but rather use positive reinforcement. He is always excited to see us and gets up from whatever he is doing to greet new people who enter the room, especially me and the family :D . He just doesn't seem too excited to be praised when we're out doing yard work. I was thinking maybe he is still young and too distracted with his surroundings. Any thoughts? I don't want to reward him with treats everytime, but rather want him to accept my praise as enough reward with an occasional treat thrown in.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup doesn't appreciate praise?

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:39 pm

It won't work. Try using a clicker if you want to mark behavior with the ultimate goal of removing the food reward. I would start with HERE.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:50 pm

The father of modern behaviorism, B.F.Skinner, defined a reinforcer as "that which reinforces."

Pups are no different than any other living organism - different things reinforce them. It may be that praise from you will work at some point, but for now, pup has too many other things to discover and explore. Don't worry about it. Later as he matures, he'll discover that good things happen when he pleases you, and your praise will mean something.

If you want to begin teaching here - remove most of the distractions, (maybe even go inside in a hallway) get some high value treats, and get pup coming to you. One game that is fun and works well is "ping pong puppy" in which you get two people sitting 20 feet or so apart - each armed with high value treats. Make sure pup is a little hungry. Clap your hands, make eye contact, use his name and "here" and you'll have him running to each of you in a hurry. Eventually, you'll be able to phase the treats randomly out, and the behavior will continue.

Keep everything fun and everything positive at this point. This is a baby in diapers.

jgregg

Post by jgregg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 pm

AzDoggin wrote:The father of modern behaviorism, B.F.Skinner, defined a reinforcer as "that which reinforces."

Pups are no different than any other living organism - different things reinforce them. It may be that praise from you will work at some point, but for now, pup has too many other things to discover and explore. Don't worry about it. Later as he matures, he'll discover that good things happen when he pleases you, and your praise will mean something.

If you want to begin teaching here - remove most of the distractions, (maybe even go inside in a hallway) get some high value treats, and get pup coming to you. One game that is fun and works well is "ping pong puppy" in which you get two people sitting 20 feet or so apart - each armed with high value treats. Make sure pup is a little hungry. Clap your hands, make eye contact, use his name and "here" and you'll have him running to each of you in a hurry. Eventually, you'll be able to phase the treats randomly out, and the behavior will continue.

Keep everything fun and everything positive at this point. This is a baby in diapers.

Awesome advice thanks! :D I'll work on him tonight. So far everything we've been doing has been very low key and low pressure training. Just trying to get the basics instilled in him so they will be easier to master later.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Good luck with it. This is an area where clicker training may be a breakthrough. Dogs that don't respond to praise are often Alpha's. I sincerely hope that isn't so.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:29 pm

EvanG wrote:Good luck with it. This is an area where clicker training may be a breakthrough. Dogs that don't respond to praise are often Alpha's. I sincerely hope that isn't so.

EvanG
They can also be soft dogs that can't quite make the connection that praise is for a specific action. I really think treats with a neutral marker will flip the switch for a dog like this.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Sometimes I just take these pups and hold them til they relax. They might fight for a bit but start to accept the attn when they know you will not turn loose til u decide the time is right. It is almost force praise.
brenda

ST8 UPPOINTERS

Post by ST8 UPPOINTERS » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Sounds like 95% percent of every english pointer ive ever trained! imo these kind of dogs want birds, birds and more birds! Human affection is something they dont crave like most gsp's do. Dont take it personal, but i bet it never changes.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:07 am

jgregg wrote:I've got a 14 week old german shorthair. When training him, I've run into something that strikes me as pretty different. he doesn't seem to like being petted or praised. When we practice "Here" he comes to me but once he reaches me, darts off to what he was doing before with as little attention paid to me as possible. We never hit him or punish him, but rather use positive reinforcement. He is always excited to see us and gets up from whatever he is doing to greet new people who enter the room, especially me and the family :D . He just doesn't seem too excited to be praised when we're out doing yard work. I was thinking maybe he is still young and too distracted with his surroundings. Any thoughts? I don't want to reward him with treats everytime, but rather want him to accept my praise as enough reward with an occasional treat thrown in.
Maybe I'm old school but consequences are needed to get respect whether it a dog or a teen. I'm not talking about discipline but rather consequences. A dog that gets away with everything , will grow up aloof / self centred. He doesn't need the Master to set the boundaries.

I use clicker training with pups but it is not sufficient. A closeness with your dog requires lots of positive experience but also consequences. jmo
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:46 am

Az, I thought Watson was the father of Behaviorism? He would have been the sick, twisted father that beat his kids for fun, but I'd always been told he was the father...

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I will sa that I don't care much for 100% positive reinforcement. I believe if the dog knows he's doing something wrong and blatantly rejects you, then he needs to have an attitude adjustment. But, I also think if you wouldn't be embarrassed if your neighbors saw you making a fool out of yourself when you loved on your dog, then you're not lovin' him enough.

I believe if the dog sees you as a pack leader and his dominant then he will seek your approval and praise. It's written in their genetic code. But, if all you do is love on them and pop them treats, why would they hold it in high regard? Growing up my mom was never a disciplinarian and always, always said "I love you", like she was afraid I was going to forget. By the time I was a teenager I just kinda patted her on the head and when she gave me a hug or said "I love you", it never really meant much. But, I could count the times my dad's given me a compliment on one hand and I don't even think the word "love" is in his vocabulary. Growing up I killed myself to do whatever I could - in football, in society, anywhere - to get him to pat me on the back or even smile when he found out what I did. His approval was ten times more rewarding than my mom's because he earned my respect and didn't hose me with affection all the time. This examples a little broad, but you get my point.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 am

Can you get hold of a few pigeons to toss? Yard work for a youngster can be rather tedious and stagnating.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:24 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
EvanG wrote:Good luck with it. This is an area where clicker training may be a breakthrough. Dogs that don't respond to praise are often Alpha's. I sincerely hope that isn't so.

EvanG
They can also be soft dogs that can't quite make the connection that praise is for a specific action. I really think treats with a neutral marker will flip the switch for a dog like this.
Sledge hammer meet gnat - y'all are all overthinking on this one. It's a typical 3-month-old puppy, what does it know or need to know about "appreciating praise" at this age? You can get the pup sitting, heeling and returning (even retrieving to hand) with treats - what's the big deal? A clicker works if conditioned, sure, but can you say "Extra! Extra! No need about it!" And Evan, what's wrong with an alpha? Fun to train and even more fun to work - got three females who lift their legs to pee and the other things they lift with great enthusiasm and regularity even everything out. They don't lift their legs to pee on each other - not all alphas are brawlers or maulers, they just might "unleash" that status on their work.

MG

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:38 am

He sounds to me like a typical puppy with the attention span of .5 seconds that's always thinking the coolest place to be is always somewhere else. :)

I tend to agree with Az. I always start with treats. I'd rather them know the command with treats than not know it at all, or take 10 times as long to learn it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:00 am

So lets see, yoou have a 1 1/2 year old pup in human years. Don't think it is unusal to find a pup or a child at that age that doe not respond as we think they should. But if there is a problem as you progress I find Brenda's method works well normally and it saves you a lot of time and equipment from most other methods. I have the feeling you are pushing the pup too much. Here training canbe accomplished very nicely by just normal times with the pup and calling when you actually need the pup like feeding time or going out time. Those are the rewards tht normally work very well.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:03 am

Stoneface wrote:Az, I thought Watson was the father of Behaviorism? He would have been the sick, twisted father that beat his kids for fun, but I'd always been told he was the father...
:) That's right, Watson was one of the pioneers, but - Burris Frederick (BF) Skinner was the originator of operant conditioning (modern behaviorism) and Pavlov the originator of classical conditioning.
Last edited by AzDoggin on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 am

A 14 week shorthair puppy is like a 15 year old with ADHD who just took a few hits off a crack pipe.

Only hallway work so the dog can't run off. Don't over praise either. Don't act like a freakin sissy and cover the dam dog dramatically and tell it how good it is. Just a pat on the head or side and send it on its way.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:51 pm

AzDoggin wrote: :) That's right, Watson was one of the pioneers, but - Burris Frederick (BF) Skinner was the originator of operant conditioning (modern behaviorism) and Pavlov the originator of classical conditioning.
I stand corrected in your scholastically psychological expertise. Maybe it was a Freudian Slip? :wink:
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Stoneface wrote:
AzDoggin wrote: :) That's right, Watson was one of the pioneers, but - Burris Frederick (BF) Skinner was the originator of operant conditioning (modern behaviorism) and Pavlov the originator of classical conditioning.
I stand corrected in your scholastically psychological expertise. Maybe it was a Freudian Slip? :wink:
Freud wore a slip? Now that's a whole other topic!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:12 pm

CHJIII wrote:
Stoneface wrote:
Freud wore a slip? Now that's a whole other topic!
Freudian slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother....... :mrgreen:

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 am

Stoneface wrote:
Freud prolly did wear a slip- I always did wonder about that dude. :lol:

Stoneface, that was just one example useless information gleaned from too many years in grad school. Other than allowing me to retire after 30+ years of underemployment, the over-education never did serve a purpose - so glad to be of service, finally!! :lol: