BARKING...

Brittlver

BARKING...

Post by Brittlver » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Alright everyone, I am getting to the point where I need to start looking for a good bark collar. My pup is starting to bark constantly when she is outside and we are not. I think she is overly dependant on us as she hates being away from us. If we are inside and she is out she will bark non-stop. If we are outside and not paying attention to her or not with in 15 ft. of her she starts barking as those that have met her know. We will be getting an outside kennel here this weekend and do not want her to bark non-stop. I want a collar that will not cause marks on her neck if left on for awhile. I had an older sport dog one but after a week(not on all the time) it caused marks in her neck. I am thinking its from it hitting things and getting set off. As soon as I realized I threw it away. What do you all recommand for a collar to get her to stop barking. I want her to get used to being outside with out us there. P.S. she is fine in the house in her cage, whines a little but I can stop that.

roaner

Re: BARKING...

Post by roaner » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:18 pm

I have used the Tri-Tronics bark limiter with good results. Although I have been told not to leave it on for more than 8 hours at a time. It's vibration activated by the vocal cords and has 5 levels for setting the correction. My pup barks at noises he can't see and we have a block wall so that's pretty much anything.

Separation anxiety is normal for pups since they aren't used to being separated from their pack. Aside from the collar there are a few things you can do for your pup to help her adjust to being alone.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think it is seperation anxiaty as this only started about a month or so ago. She is fine when we are near her otherwise she acts like we are going to leave her. When a collar is on her since acts normal and goes and lays down or plays with her toys as she knows that the barking and throwing a fit won't help her. I am hoping that she will take to the kennel life. Picking up a 10x10 kennel this weekend for $75. Would getting a second Pup be good for her. :lol: Someone to play with when we can't.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm

I've never and mean never had a problem leaving the tri tronics bark collar on a dog for more than eight hours.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:08 pm

roaner wrote:I have used the Tri-Tronics bark limiter with good results. .
+1. I've got three of them.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Brittlver wrote:Thanks for the reply. I think it is seperation anxiaty as this only started about a month or so ago. She is fine when we are near her otherwise she acts like we are going to leave her. When a collar is on her since acts normal and goes and lays down or plays with her toys as she knows that the barking and throwing a fit won't help her. I am hoping that she will take to the kennel life. Picking up a 10x10 kennel this weekend for $75. Would getting a second Pup be good for her. :lol: Someone to play with when we can't.
Sounds as good of a reason to get a second hunting dog as one can come up with

oh and on the Bark collar..leaving it on for 8 hours at a time is fine..one thing to make sure of is the neck area is clean that is the only time I have ever run into problems with collars is if debris gets under them :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Not sure if you had read my barking issue with jersey i posted about a month ago but i SWEAR by the TT bark collar..i left it on 24/7 for the first week then i took it off when she was crated at night and now i only put it on when she goes out in the yard and never had any issues with marks on her neck at all..it was a life saver really because i was ready to rehome her..then some other issues came up and i now seem to think it was cause she was coming into heat as those issues are simply GONE..good luck cause it definitley can be a PITA with that barking :| oh ya and i definitley say you should get the pup a friend for in the kennel :mrgreen: .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

AG74

Post by AG74 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:12 pm

I had a very similar situation. Got a Sportdog 6, seemed to do the trick. 8 hr limit on that one also, vibration activated. We did some of the separation training, and the dog quickly learned that we'd be back. He has learned that when we drive away in the AM, we won't be back till PM and barking is futile. I didn't want to leave the collar on him while we were at work, so we didn't. He had a day or two of barking for 30 min or so, then after that was quiet the rest of the day. Good luck

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Brittlver wrote:Thanks for the reply. I think it is seperation anxiaty as this only started about a month or so ago. She is fine when we are near her otherwise she acts like we are going to leave her. When a collar is on her since acts normal and goes and lays down or plays with her toys as she knows that the barking and throwing a fit won't help her. I am hoping that she will take to the kennel life. Picking up a 10x10 kennel this weekend for $75. Would getting a second Pup be good for her. :lol: Someone to play with when we can't.

Maybe. But would it be good for you? :)
No bark colors that can have the intensity turned up and down are great. MY JRT wears one at certain times; I don't even have a battery in it any more. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Another +1 on the TT Bark Limiter. I have one that sometimes would bark at nothing in the middle of the night in his crate...doesn't do that anymore. I had one that would bark at a sound, or person, or anything that went by the yard and he was cured of that. Well, I should say he barked once, squealed once and then it was done!

Bill

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 pm

One for the water hose and squirt bottle, no batteries to recharge :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 am

birddog1968 wrote:One for the water hose and squirt bottle, no batteries to recharge :lol:
I tried that method, but the older dog I had learned that he could bark at the gate, then when he hears the back door open, he could run to the back of the yard and stay away from me with the squirt bottle. I didn't want to call him to me then squirt him thinking that would be counter productive to training. If they are in a kennel, I'd say that method might work, but not of they are free to roam the yard like mine are.

Bill

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:40 am

BillGraves wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:One for the water hose and squirt bottle, no batteries to recharge :lol:
I tried that method, but the older dog I had learned that he could bark at the gate, then when he hears the back door open, he could run to the back of the yard and stay away from me with the squirt bottle. I didn't want to call him to me then squirt him thinking that would be counter productive to training. If they are in a kennel, I'd say that method might work, but not of they are free to roam the yard like mine are.

Bill
EXACTLY!! when i was having the issues with jersey barking she was at the back of the yard, i would hear her bark and as soon as i opened the door she quit and looked at me because she knew she could bark if i wasnt out there with no correction..in my case the hose or squirt bottle was useless cause by the time i went out, got to the hose turned it on and chased her down with it to spray her the effect of the correction would be gone, and a squirt bottle is really non effective when they are 50 yards away when they bark too but i could possibly see it working for a confined dog in a kennel or crate ..the collar is a great tool for INSTANT correction if you cant be there to correct them at the moment it happens or if you may not even hear the barking..some dogs bark when they know you are not there to correct so they will bark all day long knowing nobodys around but with the collar on its a constant reminder....ruth

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:52 am

kninebirddog wrote: Sounds as good of a reason to get a second hunting dog as one can come up with
I went with "the poor little girl needs a good home..."

Wife saw right through it, but it worked :D
My male doesn't mind the hose, he learned as a pup if I decide he heeds hosed off he gets hosed off, so he just takes it and keeps barking.

I appreciate the feedback, I need to get one for the Redbone, she barks at her shadow, bird, cats, wind, kennel neighbors, people walking by... I was leaning towards Tritronbics, because I really like their ecollars.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
BillGraves wrote:

Bill
EXACTLY!! when i was having the issues with jersey barking she was at the back of the yard, i would hear her bark and as soon as i opened the door she quit and looked at me because she knew she could bark if i wasnt out there with no correction..in my case the hose or squirt bottle was useless cause by the time i went out, got to the hose turned it on and chased her down with it to spray her the effect of the correction would be gone, and a squirt bottle is really non effective when they are 50 yards away when they bark too but i could possibly see it working for a confined dog in a kennel or crate ..the collar is a great tool for INSTANT correction if you cant be there to correct them at the moment it happens or if you may not even hear the barking..some dogs bark when they know you are not there to correct so they will bark all day long knowing nobodys around but with the collar on its a constant reminder....ruth

See this is my dog exactly. She only barks when I am not near her or outside with her. As soon as I get to the door and she sees me she stops. If I am outside with her but not near her she will bark until I look at her then she stops. She knows better as she either backs up and lays down if I am near her she will etiher lay down or roll over onto her back. I will hopefully be picking up the tritronics collar tonight. Will let you all know how she takes to the kennel life after being a house dog for 11 months.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 am

Wonder how they did it before Collars with batteries, not that I'm against them.

Those old timers must have known some magic tricks :lol:

Hows your dog gonna stand point when your not right there :?: Hint- you train em too, just like barking :D
Its not all about the water, its how it's administered. Also if your yards to big to use a hose then pen em and teach em....its not a place specific request, Mine dont bark in the dakotas on a stakeout, trial on a stakeout in my house, in my yard......nowhere. Quiet means quiet.

I am sure there are a few situations when you just cant use the water trick....but defaulting to a collar is missing some good stuff in getting a dog to mind you and not walk all over you when not in sight. I'm not looking for easy fixes , I'm looking at Making ! a good citizen regardless of other factors.

Bet Tri-Tronics loves these threads !
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 pm

My 7.5 month old Britt went through this, too. Started at about 5.5 months, really whiney when we'd put her outside, would jump up against the door, would bark, etc. I ignored her til she was quiet, then went and got her and gave her praise. Took about a month, maybe 6 weeks, for her to get past this. Only time she does this now is when her check cord/rope is tangled up and I don't come right away.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:32 pm

cpinkert wrote:My 7.5 month old Britt went through this, too. Started at about 5.5 months, really whiney when we'd put her outside, would jump up against the door, would bark, etc. I ignored her til she was quiet, then went and got her and gave her praise. Took about a month, maybe 6 weeks, for her to get past this. Only time she does this now is when her check cord/rope is tangled up and I don't come right away.

This happened to me when we first put her out on the lead. She was good for a long time. We could put her out and she would be fine for about an hour or two then she would get bored and want to come back in. But lately she seems to think that we will leave so anytime so goes out or is not near us she starts barking like crazy. She is good when a collar is on her but when its not she goes nuts. Think I got my wife to agree that a second dog would be good for molly. I told her that she doesn't have to count on us to play with her constantly and that when one gets bored they will play with the other and vice versa. She seemed to agree. So another dog might be in the forecast soon. :twisted:

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 pm

lol, I like where your head is at! Talk about making lemonade out of lemons!

My girlfriend said last week (this is the same girlfriend who about a month and a half ago that she only liked our britt when she was sleeping...) that she wouldn't mind getting another britt next spring! :D I'm gonna hold off until this one has a few seasons under her belt, but that made me pretty happy! Honestly, it's been amazing watching my britt turn the corner behavior-wise. She's matured a ton in the past 6-8 weeks. Definitely still a pup, but knows boundaries and tone of voice now and it's making a huge difference in her training. Didn't have to beat the personality out of her either!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:53 pm

cpinkert wrote:lol, I like where your head is at! Talk about making lemonade out of lemons!

My girlfriend said last week (this is the same girlfriend who about a month and a half ago that she only liked our britt when she was sleeping...) that she wouldn't mind getting another britt next spring! :D
Awesome, now you might want to get that in writing :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:07 pm

I've tried a few:

Sportdog - takes special batteries, and I have to order them from somewhere so it ends up being expensive. It's not water proof.

TriTronics - I have three of these and they work, but not consistently. I had one dog would just bark through it because it would go off on random barks, like every 3rd or 7th, so I think he didn't associate the shock with the barking. They also sometimes go off if the dog bumps the collar into something, which shocks the dog for nothing. The lithium batteries they use are expensive too. The newer ones are not much better. I have to replace the battery every 5 days. You have to take it apart to replace the battery so if you trap a little piece of dirt on the gasket it's no longer waterproof.

Dogra YS500 - this is the one I'm using now. It's waterproof, rechargeable, and holds a good charge for 4-5 days. Got this on the advice of a pro who said he had tried them all, and this one was the best he had found. I think he's right. It's 20 bucks less than the TT one too.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy with the other TT stuff I have, but when it comes to bark collars I think the Dogtra collar works better.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:57 am

[quote]quote]Dogra YS500 - this is the one I'm using now. It's waterproof, rechargeable, and holds a good charge for 4-5 days. Got this on the advice of a pro who said he had tried them all, and this one was the best he had found. I think he's right. It's 20 bucks less than the TT one too.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy with the other TT stuff I have, but when it comes to bark collars I think the Dogtra collar works better.
[quote]

BINGO!!
Rechargeable
Look at the knob and see what setting you are on. Can turn up or down as needed.
Vibration to introduce the collar.
Comes in a reusable box for storage, not a bubble wrap.

The first BC I ever bought was a TT, once I tried the Dogtra it was a slam dunk. The TT is around here someplace.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:08 am

Just wanted to update you. I went out and bought a TT last night and working to set it for her. I like the TT as it is small with small prongs. I looked at the Dogtra and the thing was the size of my old school Sport Dog e collar and weighed the same if not more. I liked the fact that it was rechargeable but did not like the size or weight. I will let everyone know how this works. At least for now she is down to a low bark on setting 2, will try setting 3 today. If I get up to the top (#5) and still doesn't work I will just return it and get a Dogtra.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:18 am

I liked the fact that it was rechargeable but did not like the size or weight.
You were not looking at the YS300 then. The YS300 is probably lighter than the TT.

The TT will work just fine, just not as good as the Dogtra and not as user friendly. :wink:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:22 am

Ya the only one they had was the 500.

I don't know the TT G3 is pretty user friendly with just a push of a button and tells you how many times they tested the collar to see if you need to turn it up. I like that option the best.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:38 am

I don't know the TT G3 is pretty user friendly with just a push of a button and tells you how many times they tested the collar to see if you need to turn it up. I like that option the best.
With the Dogtra if the dog is still barking you look at the dial and go up one notch. Don`t have to take the collar off and count blinking lites to see if it made corrections and don`t have to count blinking lites to see which setting it is on. :roll:
But, it will take care of your problem, I am confident in that.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:06 am

Brittlver wrote:Ya the only one they had was the 500.

i had looked for the 300 and they didnt have it when i looked either, they must be good to never have them in :wink: but i ended up using the TT and really love it, well the fact that jersey doesnt bark anymore speaks for itself..i mean she literally dont bark anymore at all and i only put it on her outside but im going to start taking it off slowly and hopefully not need it at all..good luck brittlver, you will be amazed how quick it works....ruth :D

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:11 pm

UPDATE:

Ok I have had the collar for a couple days now. I don't know if it is working. She barks right thru it. Does anyone know how you can test it. I have gone all the way up to 5 but does not even phase her. I have tried to put on tight to make good contact but nothing. I might just go to the Dogtra. Is the ys300 better then the ys500. I need her to learn to stop barking.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:21 pm

is the light on because I have yet to see a dog not take a 3 on the TT seriously.

the one I have seen a few go through two most will respect...are you putting it on snug if it is to loose it will not make good contact.

are you turning it on ? I ask because a friend of mine didn't push the button deep enough they do make it where you have to push it deep so that it doesn't get shut off easy
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes the collar is on and nice and snug. I even tried to put it on my throat to see if I could get it to go off and nothing. Wonder if it is just not working. It reads the bark but don't think it actually corrects.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Since you just got it I would take it back and get a replacement..sounds like you got a defective one for sure..It happens :(

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Thats what I thought. Theres now way she could go thru all 5 settings and not even yelp.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:39 am

Brittlver wrote:Thats what I thought. Theres now way she could go thru all 5 settings and not even yelp.
dont know if it will help but i found it works best if almost under the dogs chin, not sure if im explaining right but at first i put it on her "neck" then a friend of mine showed me how to put it on correctly... what he did was put it on so the buckle is right up between her ears on top of her head and really tight then he pulled her scruff down under the collar..hope im explaining it correctly, apparently what was wrong with how I put it on was i was not pulling that extra scruff down under the collar out of the way so it was not making correct contact and didnt go off at first..good luck, get a replacement, makes sure its on really good up under the chin where the throat starts and believe me it will work.....ruth :D

Vman

Post by Vman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 am

Are you counting your blinking lights to see how many times it has corrected her?? LOL
Something is wrong if you are over 3. Take it back and get a new one and if that doesn`t do it, get the Dogtra YS300 and get it over with. Did you put it on the charger? Oh thats right they don`t have one. sorry{kidding}

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:50 am

Your funny lee. Yes i counted the lights. Last time is was on, I had it at five. Just under the chin where you are suppose to have this and ecollars. No scruff to block it from good contact. Counted the lights after turning it off and I stopped count at around 50 blinks. So my guess is it is broken. Taking it back tonight and trying another. If that doesn't work by the end of the week I am getting a Dogtra.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:13 am

Brittlver wrote:Your funny lee. Yes i counted the lights. Last time is was on, I had it at five. Just under the chin where you are suppose to have this and ecollars. No scruff to block it from good contact. Counted the lights after turning it off and I stopped count at around 50 blinks. So my guess is it is broken. Taking it back tonight and trying another. If that doesn't work by the end of the week I am getting a Dogtra.

Oh PS even though the Bark collar uses a battery ...That battery lasts a Long time and I got a good deal on that battery it has through sportsman guide since a few of our scopes and some other items we have use the same batteries :lol:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for the Info. Ya they said it is supposed to last one year. I am hoping I don't need it that long. I am hoping that either she learns to stop barking or we get a house and she can bark all she wants because she will be outside and in the country so won't bother anyone. Then all she will do is prob. annoy herself.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:04 am

Vman

Post by Vman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 am

Jesse, if you own a Dogtra e-collar or if one of your friends does, they come with a test light. Borrow it and see if the collar is working. Just bang a pan or any loud noise should trigger the collar to light up. :wink:

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am

The problem I have with the TT collars is they do not trigger every time. I was watching the collar when the dog was barking, and it would light up on random barks - 3 barks, then five, then 7, then 2, then 8, etc. I increased the output until it was: bark bark Yipe! bark bark bark bark Yipe bark bark... I think the lack of consistency failed to connect the dots in his tiny little brain that the barking caused the shock. It wasn't correcting a behavioral issue, it was torture - so I stopped using the TT bark collar with him.

With another dog I've used it on the random shock was enough - but the dog still barks until it triggers, so there might be 3, 7, 10, whatever barks before she stops. Then she forgets in 20 minutes or so why she stopped barking, decides she has something to say that can't wait and starts up again.

The Dogtra collar does not appear to have the same problem with inconsistent triggering, and the barking in both dogs is no longer an issue. And they can tell the difference between the TT and the Dogtra YS500. A smaller, lighter e-collar collar = getting away with barking. The nice part about this is the TriTronics EXP receivers are about the same size as the YS500, so when the dogs are wearing their e-collars in the truck they think they might be wearing the bark collars and stay quiet.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:27 am

I like the size of the TT but I do see your point that if it does not consistanly correct her then what is the point of having it on. Hopefully Gander Mountain will have the ys300 but I know they have the ys500. The other issue I saw with the dogtra collars is they had longer probes on them. Now I don't know if they just had the long ones on and come with smaller ones. My dog does not have alot of scruff or hair so don't need inch long probes. I do see how they could think the 500 is an ecollar as it is the same size and weight. We'll see what I think tonight when I go to Gander.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:34 am

I have had great luck with the TT as at least the bark collars I have corrects then with the bark no warnings no resetting at lower then gets higher...
For me I want the dog to seriously think about that bark if it is worth the price ..I don't mess around with warnings

Can't remember which collar we had for a bit but it would allow a dog to bark a few times before it would begin to work..So I had this annoying dog that would bark three times and be quiet for a minute bark 3 times be quiet for a minute bark 3 times be quiet for a minute...The guy we sold it to for 20 bucks his dog learned also and does the very same annoying barking game

There is another guy at the trials his dog barks 3 times then yips but continues with the bark 3 or 4 times then yips :roll:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Ok went to Gander Mountain and picked up a new one. The first two that I grabbed did not even turn on and the very last one they had turned on. We tested it out and it defiantly works. Had it on 3 and had the wife bark like a dog. It defiantly works. :twisted: Have it on 2 now and on molly, she is quiet for now with only a few yelps every now and then but no barking so we will see how the next couple days go.