Essentials

proudag08

Essentials

Post by proudag08 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:52 pm

If you were to make a list of essentials to have before bringing a new pup home what would you put on it. Be as specific or as general as you would like.
  • 1. Kennel
    2. Food Bowls
    3. Kong Toy
    4. Collar
    5. Leash
    6. Vet appointments (?)
    7. ................

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Essentials

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 pm

proudag08 wrote:If you were to make a list of essentials to have before bringing a new pup home what would you put on it. Be as specific or as general as you would like.
  • 1. Kennel
    2. Food Bowls
    3. Kong Toy
    4. Collar
    5. Leash
    6. Vet appointments (?)
    7. ................
water dish,

urine cleaner upper stuff

nail clippers

Enjoy your pup.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Check cord
Whistle
BIRDS
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Crate

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Ear plugs

steamer

Post by steamer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:46 pm

a good training program you are comfortable with. membership to your local navhda chapter or some other group to help you train your new pup properly. best to get started out right from the get go.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Kennel... is that an outdoor kennel OR do you mean a indoor Crate?

This is a basic list for new puppy owners NOT including any gun dog supplies. That is a whole different list.

Kennel / Crate
Food Bowl - 2 quart Stainless Steel
Water Bowl - 4 quart Stainless Steel
Kong Toys
Nylabones
Pee pads
Simple Solution (urine neutralizer)
Collar - cheap puppy collar for now
Leash - cheap puppy lead for now
Brush / Comb - depending on breed
ID tag and get vet to chip the pup.
Vet appointments (?)

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:11 pm

A couple of good training DVD's or books. A couple of kids, if you don't have any, borrow or rent some :D A good friend/mentor. Open fields where he can discover butterflys, field birds and the smells of nature on his own. Just some thoughts. Good luck

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:32 am

steamer wrote:a good training program you are comfortable with. membership to your local navhda chapter or some other group to help you train your new pup properly. best to get started out right from the get go.
That's the key. You should know HOW to train a dog and HOW YOU WILL PROCEED before that pup ever enters your home. You have to know more than the dog to train it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:22 am

The essentials to me would be a good book on puppy training (how to housebreak the pup) and a crate that fits the puppy during this stage - big enough the pup can stand in it and turn around, NOT big enough that he can pee or poop in one side and sleep in the opposite side. I like the wire crates, not the airline crates. The pup feels like he's more a part of the family when he can see everything going on around him. My pups spend every insidue minute that I'm not watching them (with two eyes on the pup) in their crates. I can usually have a potty trained pup in under a month using the crate. I bought many crates off of Craigslist - just bleach them before use.

I'd also second the chipping of your dog - I saw so many un-chipped dogs in Joplin after the tornado and the first thing I did when I got home was to chip all the dogs we had that weren't chipped (beagles in my case as the birddogs except for one were already chipped). Socialization is key for your pup, so make plans to have friends over when he's little - and make plans for dogs that are pup friendly to visit at your home. Keep the pup out of situations where lots of dogs frequent until he's 16 weeks old and has full immunity from his series of booster shots that you or your vet will be giving him every couple of weeks. But get other dogs over visiting with him so he can still be experiencing new things. Get him out to meet as many people and new situations as you can. Lowes and Home Depot in my area allow dogs - so do many other places (Orschelns). I take my pups all those places when they're small. Bass Pro in my area allows dogs too - I keep the pups in the cart and they get lots of socialization.

On the health thing again - I always carry my dogs into the vet's office and back out - no feet on the floor in there when they're small enough not to be fully immunized yet.

The enzymatic urine cleaner is a must. Bleach, vinegar, etc. do NOT get rid of the smell from the dog's perspective - it may smell fine to you and me after we've used vinegar or similar product, but the only product that neutralizes the odor completely is an enzymatic cleaner. Use that anywhere the dog urinates or poops. We use Nature's Miracle at our house for the infrequent incidents from foster dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm

The essentials are you and a puppy. After that many of the items already mentioned will be an aid to you if you decide to train the pup yourself and also will make it easier to get the job done. Pick and choose what you feel you need and go with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:39 am

plans and goals for the pup if getting into tests, trials ect..pick a vet and know where emergency vets are at...definitly have a family meeting to make sure everyone is on board with the care of the pup, unless youre single :D ..help from family and or friends when getting a pup is always needed and they need to be on the same page with care and training so there is CONSISTANCEY, also help with walks, pee breaks and feeding while at work will be needed..so i would say having help and discussing each persons part in the pups everyday care is a MUST!!..good luck, ruth...
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:58 am

K9luke wrote:Ear plugs
Mega Ditto!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:46 am

huh?...what did you say greg?

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The essentials are you and a puppy.

Ezzy

I agree 100% :D

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Just let the puppy run every night before you go to bed and it should crash out all night. Tennis balls are great for making a sleepy puppy.