Force fetching

centexhunt

Force fetching

Post by centexhunt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 am

At what age/ level of training sequence do I force fetch? And is there a video that y'all recommend or is it something that only a seasoned trainer should handle?
There is nothing like dove opening day in Creedmoor Texas!

Hattrick

Re: Force fetching

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:16 pm

I would say about 10-12 months old for a GSP, you can do it ur self with help from someone with EXSPRENCE! Alot guys say they can do it an most stop way short from the finished product.. I did it but i could not of with out help, its real easy to say this is good enough when ur still not there. Lots of ups an downs an backing up. If ur willing it will be the best thing you could with ur dog its the foundation for the next level of training...Its alot guys on here that can help an have more exsperence than me..PM if i can help i was once were ur at now...Good luck

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:34 pm

i like to get a dog broke on their birds then hunt em a year....FF'ing them after their first season.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:13 am

birddog1968 wrote:i like to get a dog broke on their birds then hunt em a year....FF'ing them after their first season.

I will agree with that 100%

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:20 am

Make sure the dog is mature enough and has a lot of drive.... I have seen a "pro" FF a young dog and the thing would try to jump back into the truck when he let him out. Your prob better off taking longer then being in a hurry. I wanted to get my dog FF around a year but decided to wait and make 100% sure she was ready and I have as much time as I need to get it done without being in a hurry + she is being FF by her trainer who is also walking me through it.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I used Evan Graham's "Smart Work". It took me about 6 weeks at 2-3 sessions a day, about 10 minutes a session. If you do it yourself you and your dog will have a better bond than if you send him off, IMO. Also, you AT LEAST need to know how to correct the dog should be balk or mess up. That's why you need to know how the process went etc. When I had just finished and started changing locations, she would not want to retrieve but I knew how to correct her from doing the training myself. If you have the time, do it yourself.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:40 pm

It all depends on the dog. I have FF retrievers at 6-mo old. I have FF pointers at 8-mo old. It is about the technique and ensuring it is done before introduction to birds. It usually takes me 3-weeks, with 3-5 sessions per day. Like others have stated, please get with someone that has a lot of experience performing the complete FF training and introduction back into the bird field. Many amateurs can't handle the thought of the continual pain-reward process, and once you start you have to finish. The main problem many amatuers have is introduction back into the field. I don't ever let the dog hit the scent cone when starting back into the field with FF. I either launch and shoot, or have a shooter shoot 5-6 birds and I give the "dead" command. The dog learns that the "dead" command has nothing to do with birds, but only the action. I have seen people FF and then cause the dog to blink. Reason: a dog learns from a process. Point, shoot, Dead. Then he says if I don't point, I don't have to retrieve. This removes the point from the process, and then you can go back to letting your dog point and finish the process.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

centexhunt

Post by centexhunt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Dashing, I never thought of that, but my dog does like to cut corners sometimes.
There is nothing like dove opening day in Creedmoor Texas!

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 am

I FF all my labs as soon as they have their adult teeth around 5-6 mos- to me it ain't very tramatic as I do it in my shop on floor from my mechanics stool- with last three dogs it took 3 days-2 wks and almost a mos from Hold- To walikng fetch.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:43 am

I like the dog to have a season under them, but the age of the dog is more important. I like to ff over the winter, when I can't do anything else anyhow. This dog was eight months old and had hunted the season from five months on. It was an April pup and in Jan. I started forcing her. It is a six week process, ff and obedience.

In general, I would rather have a POINTING dog that is older than younger. They take the pressure better.

A retriever is different. Do them at six to eight months.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:03 pm

First off let me mention FF means different things to different people. Some go through a simple hold process and when the dog goes out and finds a downed bird, brings it back while mouthing it all the way, spits it out 10 feet from them and they are happy. Others require much more, especially those that hunt more than just upland or participate in versatile testing where retrieving perfection is expected. Everything is dependant on what you require for a "finished" dog but personally I use my dogs for everything there is a season for and depending on the age (I prefer a fall or winter born pup) I like to FF them before the next hunting season. One reason for this is it makes sense to me not to hunt them an entire year and develop bad habits that require much more time and training to correct.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:03 pm

First off let me mention FF means different things to different people. Some go through a simple hold process and when the dog goes out and finds a downed bird, brings it back while mouthing it all the way, spits it out 10 feet from them and they are happy
That isn't even a successful hold process, let alone FF! :)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:32 pm

birddogger wrote:
First off let me mention FF means different things to different people. Some go through a simple hold process and when the dog goes out and finds a downed bird, brings it back while mouthing it all the way, spits it out 10 feet from them and they are happy
That isn't even a successful hold process, let alone FF! :)

Charlie
+1.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.