Hand commands or Whistle commands

dbcooper

Hand commands or Whistle commands

Post by dbcooper » Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I've got a 7 month old black lab that's doing good with regular voice commands (Sit, Here, Heel, Ok, Out) But I'm wondering if I should go with hand signals or if I should use the whistle?
Whats the pros vs cons of this thinking.
Thanks in advance guys.

Maiingan

Re: Hand commands or Whistle commands

Post by Maiingan » Tue May 10, 2011 12:35 am

Ok, I'm really new at this so I am going to go with what I have seen my dad do. I am only posting a reply because I have not seen one yet even though there have been two views. So, I am hoping I will help you get a discussion going on here. My father has had hunting dogs for over seventy years and has trained them all himself. He uses a combination of both. He blows the whistle and then shows the hand signal. Okay good people, feel free to jump in and give your reasons of whether or not having given good or bad advice. Stay smiling, and good hunting. Sarah J.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue May 10, 2011 3:17 am

I'd keep using the vocal but I'd add both whistle and hand commands to that . By doing that I could sometimes use the visual or hand command to emphasise or to back up any audible command given.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 10, 2011 4:07 am

Trekmoor wrote:I'd keep using the vocal but I'd add both whistle and hand commands to that . By doing that I could sometimes use the visual or hand command to emphasise or to back up any audible command given.

Bill T.
+1 we add whistle and hand signals to vocal commands....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 10, 2011 4:55 am

+2

You do not spook as much game with hand and whistle, and it really is "hand and whistle", not "or".

Neil

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue May 10, 2011 10:15 am

Hand, verbal and whistle. ++++3.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue May 10, 2011 11:01 am

"The pros and cons of this thinking" depend on what kind of gunning you're intending to do with the dog. If it's waterfowling, you need to follow a program that trainers far smarter than we are have refined and implemented over the years. That's called retriever training, and it differs exponentially from gundog training for pointers and flushers with voice, whistle and handling.

MG

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue May 10, 2011 1:17 pm

MG, are you of the belief that you should not mix the two?
My hand signals and whistle signals are as simple as my voice commands, (which I do not like to use, Hate hearing voices in the woods or blind) I do use the training methods you suggest to most the basic level, not to Retriever MH level. I duck hunt and Grouse hunt and trial on occasion. I use the hand signals in the woods and fields as I can and whistle if they are not getting it or to cue the dog.

I may be mis-interpreting what you wrote. I know you goose hunt. I think you upland hunt as well right?

Rick

Rick

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue May 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Rick, I mostly waterfowl, but with something of an upland twist as it's out of a pit in a beanfield or, for that matter, pass shooting. If there were anything upland hereabouts to be an upland hunter of, I would glady own up to that designation too.

In the grouse woods, I would use a spaniel whistle like the Acme 210 1/2 (light pitch) and the dogs (flushing) would come 'round to it. They most likely wouldn't be able to see me for hand signals anyhow.

I think the whistle training can be blended, by using more retrieverite flavor for "lower-case" handling - meaning you're only positioning the dog or managing its range, not actually upper-case Handling to a precise location as on a blind retrieve.

But it really is so much easier to follow what's already out there and proven for upper-case Handling, then overlay that with the generic handling (two pips of a whistle = come around; three sharp tweets = come in) for a pointing or flushing dog, either of which a Lab may also be in addition to a retriever.

MG

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue May 10, 2011 1:50 pm

I think we are on a similar page. Grouse woods hand signals are mearly to cast the dog when in view like a twitch trail or tote road etc.

Rick

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Ok, well that settles that.
Suggestions on a good place to do some reading up on the introduction of hand/whistle signals and what should be used?
And for the most part, I'll be waterfowling with the extent of upland with chucker and quail and he'd be mostly retrieving them after the shot.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 am

For the formal hand signals, I used the book (I am trying to remember the correct name and author so don't quote me), Back to basic retriever training by Robert Milsner. I think that is correct.

Good luck.
Rick

Rick

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 am

I not a trainer by any means, I've have trained labs using whistle and hand signals. Its been pointed out previously train him in both. From my limited training experience, commands such as come, down, and sit are extremely simple to teach with both hand and whistle commands. Casting takes a can take more time and commitment and it helps to have a helper throwing bumpers.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 11, 2011 10:15 am

i have this video i got from a forum member its really a good video imo heres the link for it, but what we have done is got into hunting with people who hunt the same way (with hand and whistle) and one connection will lead to another..local clubs if you have any are the best way to start and learn from folks who can give easy tips and help you avoid mistakes they have made..books and dvds are great but training with someone in person is much more productive..good luck...ruth

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-926-.html
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed May 11, 2011 1:16 pm

DbCooper: ;Where did you hide the money? :mrgreen:

Rick

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 pm

I use both hand and whistle in addition to voice.
Living large in the Southwest.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » Wed May 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:DbCooper: ;Where did you hide the money? :mrgreen:
If I told you, I'd have to kill you...

To everybody else, thanks for the good advice.
I'll let you guys know how it works out. Sure I'll be back with more questions.

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sat May 14, 2011 5:16 am

My males labs have always listened better to whistle and hand signals than to voice ones-I think you should use them all. Iteach wgistle along with verbal signals early on and add hand signals right after that- i use 1 toot stop -2 toots release- and a trill for Here-or come into range-and use them to cue dogs for hand signals- Just ordered a new basic G3 TT collar with tone to get away from whistle when hunting upland- want to use it for here or come in to keep noise in field at a minimum