Training Pics and a Question

Nhuskr

Training Pics and a Question

Post by Nhuskr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Check out my training pics from today. It was Tucker's 4th time on pigeons. We planted one carded pigeon in some lifght cover, and I brought Tucker in cross wind. Approx 50 ft away from the pigeon we turned across the pasture, he stopped as soon as he scented the pigeon, got it's bearings and headed up the cover row. He flash pointed from about 10ft away, then crept up to about 3ft and pointed again. He held this point for about 20 seconds then flushed the pigeon.

The pigeon flew to his left over, while Tucker gave chase to the right. Tucker ran about 40ft before he realized the pigeon hadn't flown that way and turned around and came back. The pigeon had settled again and Tucker flushed it immediately and chased it down. He nosed it and mouthed it a little and pulled a few feathers, but didn't attempt to pick it up.

So, my question is, should I take him out again tomorrow or wait another week and try again? I'm using Mo's method to the best of my ability. :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/1128565376 ... eat=email#

Edited to say he's 4mos.

4dabirds

Re: Training Pics and a Question

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 pm

I am not familiar with mo's method but i would be careful about how many repetitions of catching birds I would let my dog have. The more birds he catches the more he will try to catch birds. After intro to birds and guns I would not let the dog catch another bird.

solon

Post by solon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:53 am

+1

Use a check cord to control the pup. Let him point the bird, but prevent him from pouncing on it, gently restrain him at the place he points, and if you have homers, you can let him chase an uncarded flushed pigeon that he can't catch. Otherwise, use the CC to steady him on the bird,stroke him, push him gently from the rear towards the bird, then lift him up and carry him away from it. Praise him. You have to read your dog and teach according to his level of learning at that time. Your goal is to get him to prolong his points with as little pressure as possible and if he needs more prey drive, let him chase a good flying bird. Agree with above post, avoid all catching of birds. Catching will turn on his prey drive, but will take away his tendency to point.

Solon

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:23 am

I need to clarify, I think. These have been his first introduction to birds, as I didn't get him until he was 14 weeks old and hadn't had any bird intro before that. He's not catching the pigeon before it flushes, but after he chases it and it lands. If I understand Mo correctly, he sees a difference between a dog catching the bird before it flushes than after the dog has chased it.

I guess my true question is - Is it imperative that pup actually pick up the pigeon with his mouth to prove he's not afraid of them?

Cheryl

volraider

Post by volraider » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:19 am

Yes, if you see any hesitation before he grabs the bird then the puppy still has doubt. You will know when theres no doubt on the puppy's part. I'm assuming you are getting ready for gun intro? Do you have Mo's book or Field manual? They are step by step with his method.

Brian

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:21 am

Since you spoke of Mo..I did email him to let him know about this post. Give him a little bit to respond he is busy handling a trial this weekend and said he would get to it when he got back home :wink:

and I do agree to me there is a difference if the bird flushes pup gets to chase and then catches the bird..but not something I want to continue in any manner but a catch or two for a young dog which is first starting out only helps to build drive
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:21 pm

volraider wrote:Yes, if you see any hesitation before he grabs the bird then the puppy still has doubt. You will know when theres no doubt on the puppy's part. I'm assuming you are getting ready for gun intro? Do you have Mo's book or Field manual? They are step by step with his method.

Brian
Yes, I've got Training With Mo. And I know I don't want to create a problem with chasing by doing this too many carded pigeons. Working up to gun intro, then will pull him off the pigeons for awhile once I know he's okay with the gun.

Cheryl

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:22 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Since you spoke of Mo..I did email him to let him know about this post. Give him a little bit to respond he is busy handling a trial this weekend and said he would get to it when he got back home :wink:

and I do agree to me there is a difference if the bird flushes pup gets to chase and then catches the bird..but not something I want to continue in any manner but a catch or two for a young dog which is first starting out only helps to build drive
Thanks, knine. I know Mo must be extremely busy, and I appreciate your taking time to let him know about my questions.

Cheryl

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Cheryl
Is that a french brit?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Ron R wrote:Cheryl
Is that a french brit?
Yes, he is.

Cheryl