NAVHDA DRAG

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: NAVHDA DRAG

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:20 am

How long will the dog track before breaking off

maybe start off by making smaller tracks with good rewards

then as those become successful lengthen the track by a yard or so
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:20 am

Howie - try putting hotdog chunks every 6'-8' along the track to keep him interested.
Space them further as he keeps his nose down on subsequent tracks.
That usually helps get them conditioned to working the track and getting rewarded.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 pm

I have seen a good handful of dogs that were happier with their regular dog food then special treats
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

volraider

Post by volraider » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Drag a dead bird about 20 ft. then plant a live bird at the end of the track. Walk him on leash down wind of the track without him scenting the live bird. You want him to track the dead bird and find the live bird at the end. Do not let him smell the live bird or wind it. Also don't overdue it once or twice is all it should take.

Brian

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:07 am

Howie:
I am sure you thought of this, but what side is the dog breaking off to. (into the wind?) Then disapearing and coming up with the bird? Is he just off for a run or has he figured out he does not need to be right on the track. I have two that track from some 10 yards away and you would never know they were tracking unless you saw the track.

As you know the real part of the test that is being scored is what the dog does with the bird when out of sight and that it brings it back to you.

Change the track directly into the wind, straight for a few. Make it easy, just to speed it up some. (Many dogs look for the quickest route to the bird, and sometimes they just know where to go, so you make a quicker route.)

I bought some of the surveyors wire flags and mark the drag as I go. (so I know exactly where the track is.) Bring the dog on the 20' check cord down the trail when it breaks, snap the check cord and go to the dog bring it back to the track where it broke a little shake or reset by lifting and setting down again, move forward down the trail for a few yards and let him go again. Keep correcting as needed. If he is moving forward down wind of the trail, plenty good enough. Does not matter how far from the track, (mostly).

The live bird and dead bird alternate has been mentioned already, (I think that is the best way to get the dog focused and excited.)

Personally, I don't think the hot dogs are needed for a utility dog. IF they are then the dog has not the drive for the bird, dead or alive.

Well, yet another long winded post. I am thinking and writing of what I have done sometimes worked.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:22 am

gpblitz wrote:The drag went alot better. kept his head down, When we hit the end of the drag , where the duck was set free he tore it up. the way a track should be. Maybe it's human scent or my scent. I'll keep plugin away.. Any other ideas ???
Sounds like the track went a little better. A few things to think about in your setup though; once the dog is shown the feather pile always start them down wind of the scent trail. Depending on the the amount of wind the scent can be anywhere from 5ft to 10yds down wind from the track. Because of the winds influence on the scent trail I don't expect the dog to track with their head down. If you start the dog directly on the feather pile and it takes a line up wind of the scent trail he is basically off the track and searching for the scent. Conversely, if there is little wind or the grass is tall and blocks the wind the dog might struggle with the scent trail. Either way, a little search isn't a big issue as long as the dog is moving forward along the direction of the track. Lastly, the track isn't so much about following the scent trail left by a judge dragging a duck behind them, it's more about the obedience and cooperation of the retrieve.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Howie

Ax used to pop off drags and then circle and find the bird everytime. This was an issue I created by starting with short drags and dog with a lot of search. I worked at it and then started making 500-600 yard drags and that cured it. He would go off the drag and then not circle big enough to cheat. He would then come back and "restart" the drag and finish it out on his own. A few reps where he didn't outsmart it and he was running drags like a champ.

Steve