Teaching a two year old dog?

gonehunting4days

Teaching a two year old dog?

Post by gonehunting4days » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:09 pm

This week I brought home a two year old Male GSP. He has little hunting experience, but what I have seen out of him he does have all the natural ability to be a good Bird dog.
A little History. He is a dog that my male had sired. in two years he had only been off of his run maybe a dozen times in the two years? So I decided against my better judgement to rescue him off that chain and make him my dog ( his father was the best dog I ever had).
But where do I start? he does not know his name? I thought if I am going to work with him the first thing I need to teach him is here?? and after a couple of days he is picking up "here". This dog seems to be very egger to please me lots of cooperation, and we have developed quite a bond in a few short days, anybody have any ideas??? here is a link to his pedigree: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1236

Ridge-Point

Re: Teaching a two year old dog?

Post by Ridge-Point » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:15 am

There isn't anything special about it. Train him like he was a pup, but you should be able to move at a faster pace. As long as the dog isn't socially backwards then you'll be fine.

Once you have a reliable "here" I would go straight to the field and work on handling, then do bird/gun intro, and right into whoa and heel.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:53 am

gone -

+1 on the advice to proceed as you would with a puppy.

I also would begin with a recall command. Build a bond with the dog and make sure he knows that you are fun to be around.

My training progression might be different than some but that does not matter all that much. Do it however it makes sense to you as long as you hit all the areas of concern to you.

RayG

gonehunting4days

Post by gonehunting4days » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:35 pm

well according to the advise you guys have given. I am moving in the right direction. I should have mentioned that last year whenever he did get out and hunt it was with me, and he retrieved every bird shot over him and brought then to me with out commands. So I think the time will be well invested.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:39 am

One of the best things you can do for him is to load him up in the truck whenever you can and let him ride around with you in the cab.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Take a month and make him your buddy. He won't know how.

Now, start at the start. Treat him like a 6 month old pup and start at the start.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:24 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Take a month and make him your buddy. He won't know how.

Now, start at the start. Treat him like a 6 month old pup and start at the start.
Yep, the key is to make him want to work for you. If you bond with him, properly, then he will think and adapt in order to please you which will directly result in improvements in the field. Rather than forcing, get him thinking on his own, and hunting for you and not himself.

gonehunting4days

Post by gonehunting4days » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Update training and bonding is going very well, he has learned "here" very quick so I am proud! We are also bonding very well andquick, I have become pretty fond of the dog and he of me. I used to have to pick him up and shove him in the kennel, no he jumps up as soon as I drop the tail gate, I think he figured out the going places in the truck is a good thing!