Need help teaching "come", etc..

txgsp

Need help teaching "come", etc..

Post by txgsp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey yall,

Right now my GSP, Tucker, is 7.5 months old. He knows the general obedience commands but sometimes he just doesn't want to listen, especially on "come". I have been working with him on a lead and pulling him in when I give the command. When he's on the lead, he comes every time, even without me pulling him in. However, when I take him off the lead, its like he doesn't know the commands...

I guess my question is, how can I get him to listen to me and come when I call him? I don't want him to just run around everywhere and not listen. I feel like he is way too curious and energetic to want to listen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
William

MikeB

Re: Need help teaching "come", etc..

Post by MikeB » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:19 pm

It's time for a 30 ft. check cord and more training under distractions. At 7.5 months it is pretty normal for a young pup to know when you have no control of him. So Long Line work to start.

Most of the guys here will tell you it's time for an E-collar but that's not my method at his age. He needs to learn to COME on a long line for a while first before the e-collar experience. JMO.

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:30 pm

I actually made a mistake, I meant to say that I have him on a check cord, not lead. Its like he knows that he should listen with the check cord on him but as soon as it comes off, he knows that he can run off I won't be able to pull him in and get his attention...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Keep him in a smaller area like your back yard. Let him learn that you can always run him down if he doesn't come when called off leash. . You can can't you? :wink: Every time he wins off leash, your job is that much harder.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:15 am

Knowing the new information it reminds to that many dogs associate COME to stopping what they were having fun doing. When they come to you they need lots of praise and then then them play again, back to what they were doing before you called.
I agree with Sharon about working off lead in a smaller enclosed area. Maybe even using some small food treats like their kibble or tiny pieces of hot dog or string cheese. At this age it helps to motovate them when they are distracted in having fun.

You could try this technique... make a short line with a light rope or cord and tie a clip to one end. Start with 10 ft to drag around in the yard then in the field. If he still thinks you have control and he comes to you 9 out of 10 times over a weeks time then shorten to 5 ft. for another week. Then 3 ft and then about 12 to 18" for a longer time period. Some dogs will feel your in charge with a line attached even a short one.
This was taught to me in the 70's for off leash work. I have used this method for years. It takes time and the dog needs to grow into adulthood to be reliable. Pups will test you a lot from now to 2 years old. You can't let them win the battle. Keep the game fun.
Give it a try and see what happens. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 am

When you give him the command, and he doesn't respond do you go get him and drag him back? Once he learns the command you can never let him get away with it.