Frustrating Hold Habit

jaydubya

Frustrating Hold Habit

Post by jaydubya » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:54 am

I have an 8 m/o GSP who insists on picking up a bumper or a dead-fowl dummy by the throw rope (or head). It's an incredibly frustrating issue because I feel like I'm in danger of dampening her retrieve drive if I approach correction in the wrong way. The closer she is to me the more likely she is to pick it up properly, it's just on the long throws that she ALWAYS carries the dummy like a spaz.

I was hoping someone with more experience could suggest a methodology I might follow to train this out of her?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Frustrating Hold Habit

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:10 am

There are training bumpers and aids to help teach this. One is the doken. If they carry it wrong, the head swings and hits them.

I can't remember the name of them, but there are other training bumpers that teach the same thing. Check Lion Country.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:05 am

GH, what about just just using bumpers with no ropes or heads, or with supports on the ends larger than the diameter of the bumper. Kind of conditioning the dog to pickup properly with out any interference.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:04 am

I think a combination of the Dokken and this home made bumper will greatly improve your dogs hold.

http://www.kwicklabs.com/Kwick%20Bumpers.htm

webfoot1973

Post by webfoot1973 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:08 am

With a young dog I like to remove the ropes. At least of a while. You also may want to start working of "Hold " with your dog. This will show him proper placement of the bumper. Once he knows this command, do not let him get away by either cigaring or holding by the rope.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:GH, what about just just using bumpers with no ropes or heads, or with supports on the ends larger than the diameter of the bumper. Kind of conditioning the dog to pickup properly with out any interference.
Rick
That works to. So does throwing a dowel with a square end on each end of it. If the dog picks it up by the square end, it is very difficult for them to carry. I've seen guys wrap each end in barb wire. That's a recipe for disaster in my mind. You can also get two small dairy brushes and put them on each end of a dowel. Dog's hate those bristly dairy brushes.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jaydubya

Post by jaydubya » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks everyone for the replies and the suggestions. I found the link (http://www.kwicklabs.com/Kwick%20Bumpers.htm) particularly helpful. Plenty to think about and work with.