"bleep" Birds

KY Grouse Hunter

"bleep" Birds

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 am

I've got two (almost 2 yrs. old) setters that are all but STWS that I use as my grouse dogs. They have seen plenty of pigeons, starting to figure out grouse, and recently killed alot of quail over them on a preserve hunt. Just wanted to get your opinions on dogs pointing robins, field larks, etc. while the dogs are out running around the house. Should I be letting them run of a day (10-15 min. a day) while I clean their kennel and is it a bad idea to let dogs that age go around a point every little bird they see in the yard in field? Thanks.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

bobman

Re: "bleep" Birds

Post by bobman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 am

all my young dogs have done it, even some of the older ones do it once in awhile, I dont think it hurts anything
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

natetnc

Re: "bleep" Birds

Post by natetnc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 am

i wouldn't encourage it or praise them like you would on a nice grouse point as i am sure you don't but i wouldn't disscourage it either. they are just being predators, thats what they do. in the field if they start doing it just let them know thats not what you are after by calling them off or passing by them paying them no mind. generally you will know they are after tweeties when you see indications of sight pointing (eyes/head moving). your dogs may know what to do in the field but may be passing time, i don't see a problem with it.

my new dog chip points them frequently in the yard, i actually think chip pointing tweeties is helping katie get the idea of backing. chip would point, katie would take off and spook the tweetie. yesterday, i was sitting in my chair when i saw chip looking nice on point so of course i got up to see what it was all about. he was pointing a small bird in the bushes and katie was about 20yds back standing still but keyed in on the situation, when the bird flew out of the bushes they both took off. i find it amusing to watch them, they don't tweetie bird hunt when we are in the field.