Do some dogs just not point?

dangray

Do some dogs just not point?

Post by dangray » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:52 pm

Happy New Years All, I have a french Brittany who is very out going, awsome in the house, and loves to retrieve. He's 9 months and hasnt pointed a wing or bird yet. I have done the wing and string ordeal and he gets all excited and wound up but wont point, I'm not sure if im doing somthing wrong or if he she doesnt have it in him. I have had very limited exposure to birds due to my curent location. Any feedback from anyone who has experienced this or has some suggestions on anything I can do please let me know, have a great one.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Do some dogs just not point?

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:28 pm

The wing on a string is just a gimick. Don't worry about if your dog will point. He will. I would make an effort to get some game birds or pigeons or go to a hunt preserve and have some birds put out to where you can quide your dog to them. Your dog just needs the light switch to turn on. Many things will turn it on. Birds will definately turn it on. Do what you can even taking him to a park where there are pigeons all over the place. (Also a place you can get some free ones if you are willing.) Take the dog to the park woods fields let the dog explore, hunt, use its nose, chase stuff etc. Don't talk to him while on the walks other than to keep him safe or to come to you. It take some dogs longer to point and that is certainly true of a dog that has extremely limited exposure.

Remeber Pointing does not just happen on birds, it could be a butterfly, or a squirrel.
Also remember that a point is just a stopping of the dog so it can figure out its next move to get the animal or bird it wants, a moment of uncertanty. The point can be just for a couple seconds or minutes.

BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS!!!!!! :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Yes, some dogs don't point. But at 9 months it is too early to decide about your pup. It is rare that one won't so I suggest just keep giving it a chance on birds and not the wing and I'll bet it will happen soon. But don't get discouraged since the pup if fairly young yet.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:45 pm

My Katie died at 9yrs from a stroke. In her life time she never, not even once pointed a wing on a string but, she would chase that thing till she was exhausted! Now a bird was another story. She would point till H*ll froze over! Don't worry to much yet.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

dangray

Post by dangray » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm

Thank you so much for all the replys, they are really reassuring, regardles what happens im excited to have him in the house as a part of the family, but I cant wait to knock down some birds with just him and me!!! take it easy.

dan

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:45 pm

I have a dog here now that is 14 she never pointed a wing either like Don's dog would chase it forever.She aslo didn't like pigeons they simply bored her to death.She also would never retrieve dummies or anything you threw for her but lived to retrieve birds while hunting & on pointing WILD BIRDS would knock your socks off to look at.I never saw another dog beat her to a retieve.I no longer do the wing on a string because it proves NOTHING & if you over do it can lead to sight pointing.

live4point

Post by live4point » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:48 am

I had a shorthair pup that showed no interest at all in a wing on a string,but the first time I put him on a planted bird he locked up solid.Dont be surprised if the first time you work your dog on a bird he does nothing but try and get close enough to catch it.Many dogs will do this at first.I have worked many dogs that tried to jump in on a bird the first time,and I held them back with a rope-then took them back the next day and they locked up solid without any additional training.I have also seen a few dogs that just would not point-if they were all good everyone would have great bird dogs,not every horse can run the Kentucky Derby.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:41 am

dangray wrote:Thank you so much for all the replys, they are really reassuring, regardles what happens im excited to have him in the house as a part of the family, but I cant wait to knock down some birds with just him and me!!! take it easy.

dan
Keep in mind that most people that have problems with their dog, have them for just that reason, They just can't wait!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:28 am

You really never said what experience the pup had around real birds. Have you had her on good flying birds?
brenda

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:34 am

I see one common denominator in all of the replies to this post. BIRDS! I recently had the same concerns about my up and coming gsp puppy. The three previous pointing dogs that I have raised\trained all seemed to show more prey drive and started pointing wings on a string at a young age. After expressing similar concerns on this board i received the same reassuring responses that you have. I have since taken the puppy out on all of my trips this year (about 25 outings and counting) and a couple of weeks ago I got his first two points out of him! 8) Keep them into birds however you must and I think that you will see some points soon.
You live by the river, you die by the river