eliminating the check cord

lola

eliminating the check cord

Post by lola » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:25 pm

my spanial pup is coming along well she sits stays stops and turns and recalls however all on the check cord she is very clever a knows as soon as she is off it the restraint is lifted how do i go about eliminating it. also when do you introduce distractions as she is very good when there is nothing going on however as soon as she sees a sparrow of any sort of bird flying she tries to chase it and loses all concentration any ideas
thanks again
l

bobman

Re: eliminating the check cord

Post by bobman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:30 pm

how old?
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:01 pm

That certainly sounds like a pup! Ditto how old?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:18 pm

I'd say you have to find a way to have the dog respect you. One way might be to chase her down another way might be for you to change your training philosophy. I wouldn't train when it's time to play and not play around when you are training..

You might want to start the weaning proses by letting her drag the check cord for a while in areas where she wont get hung up. Later, you might want to shorten it and let her drag that for a while before you take the check cord off completely . But no one is saying the check cord can not go back on the dog .That's where the give and take comes in to play until the both of you get accustomed to each others needs..Just don't go expecting a robot...

Pd.

lola

Post by lola » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:51 pm

she is a year and 3 months although over the summer is was ill and couldn't train her my parents looked after her. So i had to start again from the begining.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:13 am

My bet would be, she won't come in your yard when off the cc either. Get her in a fenced in yard and command her "Here". If she doesn't come, run her down and catch her. That's why the fenced in yard. It's so easy to break this with an ecollar, but if you don't want to do that, tennis shoes are the only other way. Remember, the longer she is on that cc, the better trained she'll be. Take her off too soon and it's the same as a collar wise dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 pm

im a big fan of an e-coller i use it on my pointers when comeing off the check cord they can be a great tool when used properly.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy