Blank Pistols

nowicki2005

Blank Pistols

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:21 pm

I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas for some good blank pistols. I would rather not pay $150 for one but I dont want to pay very a really cheap one and have it break or not work when I need it to. Thanks for the replies

Also, do any of you use 12 gauge primer poppers? I was thinking about buying them and using them for the time being as they are cheap.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Re: Blank Pistols

Post by phermes1 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:29 pm

$150 or more - NEF or Alpha.

$60 or so - check out the primer pistols at lcsupply.com. I have a couple and they work pretty good.
NEF or Alpha guns are built better, but you DO pay for it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:25 pm

I have one of those $60 ones from LCS. It works OK, but the cylinder does NOT lock solidly in position when the hammer is down. That means if the cylinder turns, like when I have it in my training belt or in my back pocket, it would either skip a round, or fire on a spent one. Also, when using double action, I'd get light hammer strikes which would not fire the round, and a lot of times it was hard to eject a full cylinder of empties.

So I bought an Alfa from http://www.rocksteadykennels.com. They don't seem to carry the Alfa anymore, but the have other top line starter guns, and good prices on them too. I am VERY happy with the Alfa. Another nice thing about the Alfa is that it discharges out the top of the barrel, not out the sides in front of the cylinder, so not only can you direct the discharge when you fire, it keeps the gun cleaner too.

my 3 sons gsp

Post by my 3 sons gsp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:45 pm

i have one that i got at a gander mountain it is a 209 primer gun , 5 shot heavy duty pistol . I paid 69.00 dollars for it and never had a problem with it .
owner of 4 gsp and love it

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:35 pm

http://www.gundogsonline.com/ProdDtl.asp?iProdID=11063

I think this one is awesome. very high quality. $69.99. Buy something else to get you to a $75 total and you get free shipping too. (primers, for example)

mglow

Post by mglow » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:46 pm

I bought the $5 one at the local gas station or toy store and it got the job done for me.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:52 pm

mglow wrote:I bought the $5 one at the local gas station or toy store and it got the job done for me.
im not talking about a cap gun lol

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:21 pm

I bought a Kimar 209 primer pistol about three years ago. I think i paid about sixty bucks for it. I ran about 1500 or so primers through it before it malfunctioned. I have since bought a second one and have run about four or five hundred primers though it so far without incident.

I found that CCI primers work the best. Winchesters expand and tend to stick in the chamber. The CCI's were about 24 bucks a thousand, last time I bought a brick.

They are pretty loud so take care with a young dog.

RayG

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:03 pm

The one in my link, called a Traditions, is also a Kimar. They appear to be the same gun, but I bought mine as a Kimar. Anyone know for sure?

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:56 pm

I have the kimar gun as well. It seems to work good enough for me. I only have one dog at this point, and it has not seen very much use. So, I do not know how well it would hold up if you were planning on doing more with it.

brandon

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:06 am

I bought a Kimar 209 primer pistol about three years ago. I think i paid about sixty bucks for it. I ran about 1500 or so primers through it before it malfunctioned. I have since bought a second one and have run about four or five hundred primers though it so far without incident.
So now you have $120.00 plus shipping into it and you still have a piece of junk.....

Buy the NEF, mine is 27 years old and I pump over 100 rounds a week through it. I buy the ammo at Lowes. I've never had a misfire. You get what you pay for.

This IMO is a no-brainer. :roll:

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:16 am

One thing to keep in mind is that a 209 primer gun does not give the same options as a .22 when it comes to type of cartridge available. With the .22, you can start out with the acorn caps, and move up to louder and louder rounds.

Here in NJ, it is illegal to use a shotgun outside of the regular hunting season for training with out a field trial permit, even if you are shooting primers or poppers - still illegal. Use of a regular firearm, such as a .22 pistol is also illegal. Blank guns only are allowed.

So, with the exception of training clinics, I use my blank gun for all my training, and it gets a lot of use. I like the flexibility the .22 offers as far as cartridge selection and volume of report. So, I'm happy with the Alfa. Plus it's got that bright orange grip, and I put a bright colored lanyard on it so if I accidentally drop it in the grass I have a better chance to find it again.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:32 am

Yawallac wrote:
So now you have $120.00 plus shipping into it and you still have a piece of junk.....

Buy the NEF, mine is 27 years old and I pump over 100 rounds a week through it. I buy the ammo at Lowes. I've never had a misfire. You get what you pay for.

This IMO is a no-brainer. :roll:
Right!

The NEF is the "Gold standard" of blank guns. The only reason I bought an Alfa instead was for the convenience of the swing-out cylinder.

okchiefsfan

Post by okchiefsfan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:28 am

Here is where I bought my NEF. Best price I could find. http://www.weaponsofchoicetheatrical.co ... istols.htm It is built like a tank so
I am glad I went with it. :D

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:29 am

I have two NEF's, both over 20yrs and working great! Friend of mine has the predissor to the NEF, H&R and I have no idea how old it is and it still works great.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:45 am

Another thought about the NEF is after 20yrs of use, if you wish to get rid of it there is a ready market to get most of your money back.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:50 am

Just so you know...

If NEF made a 209 primer pistol. I would have one, just like I have an NEF .22, TWO NEF .32's, an H & R .22 and a .410 Snake Charmer. My H & R .22 is far, far older than 27 years...as is my NEF .22.

They do not currently make a 209 primer pistol. I do understand that they did make one for a short time(or perhaps a cylinder) but so far I have been unable to locate one. Until I do, I am content with the fact that the money I am saving on 209 primers far outweighs the potential inconveniences.

Over the years I have tried a couple different 209 pistols which I did not and will not mention. They were pretty junky. I also tried the ALFA and it is WAAAAY too big and bulky for me. It is also VERY pricey for a pot metal gun.

Some folks might have a hard time realizing that not everyone is a professional trainer or breeder who has a revenue stream with which to purchase the high end toys and the ability to write all that stuff off to their business. For some it actually is a hobby which has to compete for funds with a small...and shrinking pool of discrectionary income. I am constantly reminded of that fact of life, because unlike some...it is not a business for me but rather a hobby which I have to fund out of my personal spending money.

In my experience the Kimar 209 is the best of the moderately priced bunch and, again, based on my experience it should last the one/two dog trainer eight , perhaps ten years. I consider that to be a good value especially when the only other option is the ALFA for three times the price.

The average bird hunter is a one or perhaps two dog trainer and is probably best served by a cheap, $20 .22 caliber blank gun that they will use for a few months and then put away, throw away or just plain lose, for six or seven years, until they need to train a replacement.

Incidentally, I just picked up a used .22 NEF for a friend at an area gunshop. It was $50.

Those kinds of things are my kind of no brainers.

RayG

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:19 am

As Ray has mentioned, ammo selection for the primer guns is important. The retriever folks, who can shoot hundreds of primers a day, have got this figured out to a science. 209 primers are not all alike; they vary a great deal based on manufacturer. Remington 209s are the "coolest", followed by Federal and then CCI. Once you get past CCI they tend to get pretty hot; this includes Winchester, CCI mag and Cheddite. Wanna tear up a gun real quick? Use Federal 209A primers.

The Kimar gun is good, but getting hard to find. The Olympic primer gun that LCS sells is ok, especially if you are careful with ammo selection. The NEF guns are nice, especially if you like gadgets. You can buy the gun, then the rubber band gizmo to keep the pin from falling out, then spare rubber band gizmos when those fall off, then spare pins, then spare cylinders, then the magnet to pull through the grass to find the pins and cylinders that you've dropped. They are kinda like the Remington 1100s of the blank gun world; work real well but you've got to have a "parts kit" with'em. If I had been smart enough to ask for a buck every time I've loaned my gun to someone because they dropped their pin or the cylinder fell out, I suppose I could afford one of them.

JMO,
Dave

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:25 am

The Kimar gun's crap, Dave. I spun about 15 rounds through the POS before the spring broke. The warranty's not worth the pot metal or whatever alloy it's made of. I had it, by the way, while my NEF .209 was away having its hammer spot-welded for the third time after more than 15,000 rounds as a retriever training pistol. Now back going strong for on average 100 rounds a week.

The NEF .209 is/was made under the "Day's End" badge for Jerry Day, who owned Dogs Afield, a gundog (particularly retriever) outfitter. No more, and Marlin, which bought NEF, gave an emphatic naysay to any chance of reviving production. Ray's used NEF .22 is also scarce as hen's teeth (as NEF still repairs them over the gun's lifetime), so retriever trainers are increasingly going with regular .22 pistols (where legal). A partner just picked up an Iver Johnson (probably at the same shop where Ray got his blank pistol) for $40, which included $20 in repair.

MG

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:38 pm

Some folks might have a hard time realizing that not everyone is a professional trainer or breeder who has a revenue stream with which to purchase the high end toys and the ability to write all that stuff off to their business. For some it actually is a hobby which has to compete for funds with a small...and shrinking pool of discrectionary income. I am constantly reminded of that fact of life, because unlike some...it is not a business for me but rather a hobby which I have to fund out of my personal spending money.
Well I wasn't a Pro when I bought my H&R almost 30 years ago. Maybe it was because I bought the H&R that I now am a Pro... ever think of that? :lol:
The average bird hunter is a one or perhaps two dog trainer and is probably best served by a cheap, $20 .22 caliber blank gun that they will use for a few months and then put away, throw away or just plain lose, for six or seven years, until they need to train a replacement.
Who knows where the "average bird hunter" will end up? Some of them start playing dog games ...and helping buddies train their dogs ...and then they get more dogs ...not a great reason to purchase a piece of junk IMO.
Those kinds of things are my kind of no brainers.
If your no brainer is to recommend a cheap $20 piece of crap that is GUARANTEED not to work at the worst possible moment ...than you are a "no brainer"! :lol: Just kidding!!

BTW, blank gun ammo is very inexpensive. I purchase .22 blank ammo in the nail gun section of Lowes or Home depot for less than $5.00/box of 100.
The NEF guns are nice, especially if you like gadgets. You can buy the gun, then the rubber band gizmo to keep the pin from falling out, then spare rubber band gizmos when those fall off, then spare pins, then spare cylinders, then the magnet to pull through the grass to find the pins and cylinders that you've dropped. They are kinda like the Remington 1100s of the blank gun world; work real well but you've got to have a "parts kit" with'em. If I had been smart enough to ask for a buck every time I've loaned my gun to someone because they dropped their pin or the cylinder fell out, I suppose I could afford one of them.
So silly... :lol: I've heard this argument before and it just cracks me up. In almost 30 years I have never lost a pin or cylinder... and I promise you I shoot mine more than any of your friends Dave. You must have some pretty klutsy friends... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I realize that I am too blunt for many of you Alan Alda types ....but I mean well! :D
Last edited by Yawallac on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:The NEF guns are nice, especially if you like gadgets. You can buy the gun, then the rubber band gizmo to keep the pin from falling out, then spare rubber band gizmos when those fall off, then spare pins, then spare cylinders, then the magnet to pull through the grass to find the pins and cylinders that you've dropped.
Dave, my rubber pin-keeper "gizmo" is only eleven years old, but we've not lost anything yet...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:42 pm

Yawallac wrote: BTW, blank gun ammo is very inexpensive. I purchase .22 blank ammo in the nail gun section of Lowes or Home depot for less than $5.00/box of 100.
I have tried them in my NEF .22 and they seem to "stick" after they are fired. I sometimes had to push them out with alot of force. Am I using the wrong ones?

Nitrex

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:01 pm

[quote="Yawallac"]

So silly... :lol: I've heard this argument before and it just cracks me up. In almost 30 years I have never lost a pin or cylinder... and I promise you I shoot mine more than any of your friends Dave. You must have some pretty klutsy friends... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never said they were my friends.

No, I'm talking about horseback pros who are in and out of the saddle a hundred times a day. Some of those guys have been working dogs longer than you've been driving.

If it's not a problem, then why do they make replacement pins and cylinders, and all the gizmos to go along with 'em?

And you're nowhere's close to blunt.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:27 pm

No, I'm talking about horseback pros who are in and out of the saddle a hundred times a day. Some of those guys have been working dogs longer than you've been driving.
I'm in and out of a saddle almost every day Dave. My gun is in my holster when I mount and dismount. Not sure how I could lose a pin or cylinder climbing up and down off a horse. But I guess if they have been "working dogs longer than I have been driving" then it's no wonder they are losing things. They probably can't remember which horse is theirs either... :lol:

As far as not being blunt. You're the first to suggest that I am not blunt!! Thank you!! (Hear that Jakemaster?? I told you I was a touchy feely guy!!) :D

It's amazing that we can even argue about blank guns!! :lol:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Ross -

Actually the possibility of your turning pro because of the performance characteristics or a blank pistol really did not occur to me. I mean I think the H & R is a nifty little toy, and I do like mine, but I had no idea it held such a place of importance for you. :P

Sorry, but the connection between the two was not evident to me. Still ain't, but whatever keeps your oars in the water is OK I guess. :D

Oh and just in case, heaven forbid, one of your blank guns fails to function at "the worst possible time" whenever THAT might be, I just want you to know that the dog will be just fine if you clap your hands...just one clap now... no applause please. :lol:

Have a great evening.

RayG

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Strange, I've never lost a pin or a cylinder either. One think I learned when I was training is not to loan equipment of any kind to anyone! I did that exactly one time. :(
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:23 pm

I've been using an Olympic 209 blank pistol http://www.dogsafield.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R089-005P for I don't know how many years and only God knows how many rounds with nary a hitch. The guy I bought it from used had it for many years before me he said but wanted just a .32 for everything. Not the cheapest but sure has been reliable through many times being on and off a horse (in the previous owners case) and many miles walking the fields.

Wanna cheap .22 you can use those nail gun blanks in like Ross mentioned? Get yourself an Rohm RG22, the orginal Saturday Night Special according to some. The same gun was marketed under Romo, Thalco, Valor, Vestpocket, Western Style, Zephyr and other name as a sub contracted. I have been using mine for over 30 years and my dad had it before me. It aint worth a hill of beans for actually shooting anything but blanks but ya can get em for a steal at many pawn shops and gun shows, most times for under 40 bucks. Big plus is ya can load em with rat shot or such for snake elimination if need be. BUT make sure the dog aint gun shy and the thing is well away from your ears, that cheap SOB is LOUD.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:33 pm

The Kimar looks like a good pistol, but the thing I don't like about it is it only carries 5 shots. My NEF has 8. Those extra 3 shots can come in handy, especially in training.

Also, while a cheap real firearm might be OK in training, they are definitely NOT allowed in AKC events. You will need a pistol incapable of firing live rounds. I don't know the rules in other organization's events.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:03 pm

nitrex wrote:
Yawallac wrote: BTW, blank gun ammo is very inexpensive. I purchase .22 blank ammo in the nail gun section of Lowes or Home depot for less than $5.00/box of 100.
I have tried them in my NEF .22 and they seem to "stick" after they are fired. I sometimes had to push them out with alot of force. Am I using the wrong ones?

Nitrex
Clean your cylinder with a brass bristle brush.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:06 pm

No one is best served with a $20 piece of junk starter pistol. I had two of them break on my before I bought a NEF pistol. Lots of other serious amateurs around here bought some of the slightly cheaper types and they have all had trouble of one sort or another.

I do know of some folks who lost a cylinder from their NEF, but that problem is easily resolved. The pistol I have has 2 detents in the pin so the release button would have to be accidentally pushed twice in a row to lose something.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:40 pm

By chance do you own a .38 revolver? I bought the shotgun primer inserts that you put in a .38/.357 revolver. I'm not introducing Winnie to gunfire just yet, but I did try this when I got the inserts out in the yard. It is way, way louder than I expected!! Anyway, seems to work great and while they weren't cheap - maybe $40 for six - I feel like I have a quality product because it actually is a quality gun.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:32 pm

I envy you folks who can use a real pistol to shoot blanks. If i could I would have saved a lot of money. However, I can tell you that the last thing I would want is to be caught out with a real .22 pistol instead of a blank gun. I might be able to get away with it in my yard, but not on public land. And, if someone complained about the gunfire while I was doing yard training, I'd rather the cops find me with a blank gun in my training pouch.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:15 pm

I have always gotten the Sat nite Sp for blank guns, you used to get them here atv pawn shops for 20-30 bucks. Great for training, I always used blanks in them tho. Seems the more expensive blank pistols have been junk. Or I have lots of bad luck...I just ordered the Alpha, we'll see.
brenda

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 pm

snips wrote:I have always gotten the Sat nite Sp for blank guns, you used to get them here atv pawn shops for 20-30 bucks. Great for training, I always used blanks in them tho. Seems the more expensive blank pistols have been junk. Or I have lots of bad luck...I just ordered the Alpha, we'll see.
You use .38 blanks? Two questions: Where do you get them, and do you happen to know from experience whether they are louder or quieter than shotshell primers?

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:18 am

Dang - I must be one of those clutzes - I've lost pins, cylinders, and whole guns - Most recent was my Alpha 209 - which I will get again eventually. Right now I have been using a Kimar - we have already had to do some stuff to keep it functioning after only about 200 blanks - I like primer guns - I go through the cheap ones about 1 a year - that includes the Olympic and the Kimar in the past - I had my Alpha about 2 yrs, before I lost it a couple weeks ago at a field trial - you would think with a bright orange handle and neon pink lanyard - it would be easy to spot - I figure someone else found it and needed it more than me.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:06 pm

We got them at local pawn shops. I do not think with the run on guns now you can get them that cheap. I saw one the other day for 89.00. We shoot 22 blanks in them, even crimps.
brenda

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:46 pm

Wa Chukar Hunter wrote:Dang - I must be one of those clutzes - I've lost pins, cylinders, and whole guns...
While a rubber keeper has precluded losing a pin or cylinder from the onset, it took the near loss of a gun to teach me to tether mine to its holster with a long chunk of decoy anchor line. Bit of a nuisance at times but makes me feel like a Rough Rider.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Rick Hall wrote: While a rubber keeper has precluded losing a pin or cylinder from the onset, it took the near loss of a gun to teach me to tether mine to its holster with a long chunk of decoy anchor line. Bit of a nuisance at times but makes me feel like a Rough Rider.

I should probably do that, too. Losing a pin isn't as huge a deal as I simply don't remove the cylinder except when back at the truck reloading, but I have dropped my gun. Most notably, a few weeks ago when my dog mailed it in and I was running like an idiot through some corn rows to chase her down. Finding a black and brown blank pistol amidst a whole bunch of brown cornstalks was a challenge - but I did find it! :)

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:26 am

Well, let me tell you my latest experience - I lost my Alfa 209 primer gun at a field trial - luckily I had my .32 to finish my season with - however, a .32 is cost prohibitive to train day in and day out with. So, rather than spending another $200 with shipping for another Alfa - I spent $60 on Kimar/Traditions primer gun - WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK! It didn't last two weeks before it broke. So, I was surfing the net looking for an NEF .22 and finally found one. Hopefully, it will be here soon. After I get the NEF I will probably end up spending another $200 for the Alfa 209 or Alfa 22 just so I have a back up gun - for training. I will probably continue to use my .32 for field trials.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:32 am

Got my Alpha. Wow, love it. Got the 22 so I could shoot starter crimps for beginners too..
brenda

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:47 pm

Keith,

Have a look at these.

http://www.rocksteadykennels.com/viper- ... 30262.html

I saw one in the .38, I think it really 6mm. The fella that had it felt it too loud, so he let some powder out of the crimp.

Anyway, it looked well made, felt good in hand and is priced right. I think I may try one. I too have the Kimar 209....POS
Dan

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:43 pm

I stick it in my pocket to muffle the sound.
What about the blow hole in the top of the barrel? You didn't burn a hole in your pocket???

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:10 am

UGH!!!! I just saw the Alpha 22 at Dresslers for 20. cheaper than I pd!!! 169.
brenda

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:15 am

It almost never fails,you look around & find something think your getting the best deal & wamo see it cheaper else where.UGH!! is right. :x

rhines

Post by rhines » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Wa Chukar Hunter wrote:So, I was surfing the net looking for an NEF .22 and finally found one. Hopefully, it will be here soon.
I was told by several suppliers last month that the NEF .22 is no longer manufactured and could not find any for sale on-line - all listed as out-of-stock.
I had one years ago and it was a fantastic gun. I must have lost it during some of my many moves, so I ended up buying an ALFA.
Why would they stop making a legend like that??

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 pm

FWIW, from the perspective of someone who doesn't go through hundreds of blanks a week. ( maybe dozens :roll: ) The LCS works fine for 50 bucks. Ive used it for a few years now and don't foresee any problems.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 am

rhines wrote:
Wa Chukar Hunter wrote:So, I was surfing the net looking for an NEF .22 and finally found one. Hopefully, it will be here soon.
I was told by several suppliers last month that the NEF .22 is no longer manufactured and could not find any for sale on-line - all listed as out-of-stock.
I had one years ago and it was a fantastic gun. I must have lost it during some of my many moves, so I ended up buying an ALFA.
Why would they stop making a legend like that??
I bought the last one that they had at Wilson Dunn's store.

rhines

Post by rhines » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 am

Wa Chukar Hunter wrote:I bought the last one that they had at Wilson Dunn's store.
Lucky you. In the 10+ years that I used mine, I never had a problem - I don't think you need to worry about service support issues, but you might want to pick up a spare cylinder pin or two before they become a rare commodity.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:34 pm

They already are a rare commodity - no one has the extra pins or cylinders that I have talked to - so, if I lose the pin or cylinder I guess it will become an expensive paper weight.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Wa Chukar Hunter wrote:They already are a rare commodity - no one has the extra pins or cylinders that I have talked to - so, if I lose the pin or cylinder I guess it will become an expensive paper weight.
I had a hard time finding them, too, and that was a few months ago. I did manage to secure an extra cylinder and a couple extra pins off TBI, I think.

Great guns. Don't understand why they stopped making them.