Walking without Birds

Benny

Walking without Birds

Post by Benny » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:31 pm

I usually take Emma out to EE Wilson, a game refuge next door that looks very birdy. However, the fee pheasant season ended last month and it is highly unlikely that any of the stocked pheasants survived the hunters and hawks (I know a few of them didn't personally :D ) Anyway, Wems brought it to my attention that it could be potentially counterproductive taking Emma on these runs around EE Wilson because Emma thinks she's in hunting mode. It's just a great place to get her some exercise, but do you think this is softening up her interest in birds since its just bunnies (e-collar ordered and shipping for that problem) and mice?

If so, what the heck do you guys do with your dogs 8 months out of the year? I should note that CURRENTLY there is no option to coop birds where I live. However, with a lot of work and donating micro brew beer and wine I could maybe find someone to let me work birds on their property.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Walking without Birds

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:57 pm

I would take her and let her work for you whether she finds a bird or not. You can always plants a couple later when you want or think she needs to find something but the exercise is the most important thing now and no better way to get it than running a field that may still hold a bird or two.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Dry runs give you a chance to work on your handling of a dog. Exercise is always good. You for sure want to get the dog into birds when you can but outtings without them are not a bad thing IMO.

Sorry EZZY I was posting the same time as you and I guess we were thinking the same thing!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:34 pm

You can always find a place to coop birds.
I have mine in the garage - no pens allowed outside by a bylaw.

I have to clean up every day and listen to my man complain but it needs to happen.
It depends how bad you want to train.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:39 pm

You guys are the best :D
Don't worry, I like repeat info because it helps generate a majority ruling.

And Sharon, I totally agree, but I feel like I'm already asking a lot from my room mate that pays the mortgage since we got Emma. He already has to endure a territorial dog that barks at him every morning he comes home, and I think a bunch of bird crap and feathers might drive him over the edge. We got a good thing going here until I graduate, living next to EE Wilson and the college research forest that I have a key to...perks of being a forestry student :D
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 am

Even when I am in the off season, I still take the dogs to the grouse woods. If they work a bird up, I go flush it and use my blank gun. Good opportunity to train is anytime.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Benny wrote:You guys are the best :D
Don't worry, I like repeat info because it helps generate a majority ruling.

And Sharon, I totally agree, but I feel like I'm already asking a lot from my room mate that pays the mortgage since we got Emma. He already has to endure a territorial dog that barks at him every morning he comes home, and I think a bunch of bird crap and feathers might drive him over the edge. We got a good thing going here until I graduate, living next to EE Wilson and the college research forest that I have a key to...perks of being a forestry student :D
I've been married 40 years so I've learned how to get my way.
:D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Sharon wrote:I've been married 40 years so I've learned how to get my way.
The only disagreements we have are when my wife doesn't think she is getting her way. I swear it's not learned - it's genetic! Women are born knowing how to get their way. :lol: :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Sharon wrote: I've been married 40 years so I've learned how to get my way.
You girls just don't fight fair. You know that if you "hold out" long enoug, we fellers will do anything you ask. We're so weak! :oops:
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Don't worry about it Benny. There are many fields you'll walk through in a lfetime without birds in them. Unfortunately.

I run mine a lot alongside a bike on gravel roads and swim them alongside my kayak as well.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:12 pm

I often run my dogs when I don't expect they will find a bird. You are still training and letting her get exercise. I'm sure she wouldn' t want you to stop. :)

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:35 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Sharon wrote: I've been married 40 years so I've learned how to get my way.
You girls just don't fight fair. You know that if you "hold out" long enoug, we fellers will do anything you ask. We're so weak! :oops:
Yep! :D :D
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:33 am

Sharon wrote:I have to clean up every day and listen to my man complain but it needs to happen.
It depends how bad you want to train.
I've never known a woman to listen to a man 40 sec. into a marriage, after 40 yrs you probably can't even hear him! What my latest ex-wife did was to give me a bird of my own and make me clean up after it. Taught me a lesson!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!