How to get pup to range out???

greyghsts

How to get pup to range out???

Post by greyghsts » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:16 am

O.K. so after reading here alot everybody says BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS, and wild is better. So, I'm out with my 3 month pup yesterday, in the great outdoors, no lead. He won't venture out more that 10 feet, and alot of the time is right at my feet. How do I get him to get out in front of me and not behind me. I was thinking of taking him out with my 9 month weim that doesn't hunt, but loves to hike with me and when he does is always out front, usually no more than gun range. My problem with that, is if I do, I know the pup is just going to want to jump on him and play and if there is any birds in the area, he's not even going to notice. So should I not worry how far he goes out at this time or is there something I should try. I tried just stopping and waiting when he comes back to me, but then he just stops and waits, looking up at me with a look that says, "lets go what are we waiting for"

CherrystoneWeims

Re: How to get pup to range out???

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 am

Don't talk to your pup at all. Ignore him when he comes back to you. That way you aren't rewarding the yo-yo habit.

Find a dog who is crazy crazy about birds to run your dog with. Preferably one that is about the same age. A dog who will range out and is able to get away from your pup if your pup jumps on him.

Plant a bird about 50 yds. away and let your dog see you plant it. Don't plant it hard because you want it to fly when your dog comes in near it. Walk back to your dog and let him go. The next time plant it in the same place but have your dog staked out 70yards away. Walk back to your dog and let him go. By increasing this distance the dog will start to move further out to seek the bird. Do this increasing of distance quite a few times. Then don't plant a bird in that spot. Your dog hopefully will start to seek out birds. Also LET your dog chase the bird after the flush! Pups need to do that to build desire.

Some pups don't develop independence until they are older.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:17 am

Hes a baby just keep walking him as his confindence increases so will his range
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:36 pm

I wouldn't try to fix anything yet, he is too young to be concerned with range. Just keep walking him and watch the interest and range increase.

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:52 pm

So, I'm out with my 3 month pup yesterday, in the great outdoors, no lead. He won't venture out more that 10 feet, and alot of the time is right at my feet. How do I get him to get out in front of me and not behind me
Was the cover heavy? Had your pup been exposed to the type of cover? Most likely it is a new thing to him. I wouldn't worry about range at this point. Focus on introducing the pup to as many different types of cover and terrain as possible. New things can be quite intimidating to a pup.
ImageImageImageImage

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:00 pm

I just read the post again by the original writer. Now I realize that the pup is only 3 mos. old. Yes just let him get out and explore. But I would take him with another dog of about the same age that has more confidence. Sometimes it can help build the pup's confidence to have a buddy around.

Remember though NO talking to your pup!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

greyghsts

Post by greyghsts » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks for the replies all, I'll get him out is some more different types of cover. The cover we were in was mostly short, with some spots of taller thicker stuff.

Pam, when you say don't talk to him. Do you mean not at all? or just not when he is hanging out near me. Also I have to talk to him sometimes to tell him to leave things that he shouldn't be into, rocks, dirt, cow poop. Why do dogs want to eat that anyways LOL. He's also a problem with rocks, wants to pick them up, not really to eat (yet) but to chew on.

Will

Post by Will » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Rocks...dirt....cow poop....It's all good!!!! He's a puppy...let him explore and learn. His little brain is forming and processing all of this information....it's a beautiful thing. Yeah you might want to chase him out of the poop if he starts eating it...but it does't hurt to investigate. Let that pup be a pup and get all of this learning out of the way now.

I agree to not talk to him. I'd stand in one place quietly and not move until he is out at what you feel is an acceptable distance....then move forward slowly.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:01 pm

Pam, when you say don't talk to him. Do you mean not at all? or just not when he is hanging out near me. Also I have to talk to him sometimes to tell him to leave things that he shouldn't be into, rocks, dirt, cow poop. Why do dogs want to eat that anyways LOL. He's also a problem with rocks, wants to pick them up, not really to eat (yet) but to chew on.
Dont talk to him unless he is doing something that will hurt him like picking up and eating rocks. Talking to him distracts him from the task at hand which is exploring! When you do want to correct him just give a "Naaaah" in a low voice.

Yep all of my puppies eat cow and horse poop. I guess there is something in it that is tasty :roll: As far as the dirt I wouldn't worry about it that much He'll out grow eating it.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Eating rocks can be a dangerous habit. Break him of it now. I know of quite a few Weims who have had to have multiple surgeries to remove blockages due to eating rocks.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Let this pup get out and learn. I would also say to make sure when he does start moving away from you build his confidence by following him. That way when you looks back he sees you there and following.
Doyle

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:09 am

Even at 3 months old - I try to get them to range with birds - when I go to SD it is very easy we have a 1 mile long tree line/shelter belt that is loaded with pheasants and sharp tails - it doesn't take the pups long to figure out that up ahead is where the fun stuff is. Once they find and start knocking and chasing those birds they really start ranging.

When I am here in TX, we accomplish this with johnny house quail. I have a roading trail for the bigger dogs with plenty of cover but is a pretty nice path to walk - I have two johnny houses - at first I plant the quail near the path and once the dog starts knocking and chasing - we start flying the birds from johnny houses in greater numbers and soon the range issue is a non-issue.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:49 am

I am of the opinion that in the field, a 3 month old can do no wrong. Take yourself out of the equation, and just let the dog do what he's going to do. This builds confidence and independence. Coupled with the bonding and socialization at home, I bet you can develop a confident and bold dog who will at the same time always want to be around you and come back to you and check-in.