Marley's First Birds

kylenicholas02

Marley's First Birds

Post by kylenicholas02 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Marley is a GSP that I acquired from a close friend and breeder here in Indiana. Both parents are preserve guide dogs, and fabulous hunters. After recieveing Marley in early May I began basic obedience, now it is critical I mention this is the first dog I have trained fully by myself. During the middle portion of June Marley was caught/backed over by a dually truck. I honestly didnt believe the pup would make it, I was faced with one of the toughest decisions of my life, and chose to do surgery. During the surgery they found she had ruptured her left kidney, broke two ribs, and was tremendously bruised. They removed the kidney, and we began what we believe would be a long road to recovery. Within a week, it was apparent the greatest difficult wasnt going to get Marley to walk, but to get her not to run. She recovered 100% and we were back to training by early July. Tonight marked the first night I was able to shoot over her. After placing 2 quail and a chukar in a field, I release my miracle dog. Within 45 seconds, and over 100 yds away, she locked hard into the first bird. As I approached I snapped a few photos (story later) and began to work the bird out. Like a typical chukar, it ran. After being unable to get in front of the bird, we moved towards the quail. Both we cleanly killed, after marveling at my hard work. As we approached the area the chukar had ran from, Marley became birdy, and actually worked the bird into heavier cover (something that cant be taught) and then went steady. Upon a flush, we cleanly killed our last bird for the night.

After shooting the chukar I reached for my camera, but it dropped somewhere in the field. I searched tremendously without any luck, and will be the proud owner of the metal detector tomorrow morning.

Sitting at the dinner table tonight, I couldnt help but be proud. My father who isnt a hunter, even marveled at the beautiful dog work Marley exhibited.

She may not be the best, but she mine, and my work of art... and I couldnt be prouder.... I'm sure everyone out there know how it feels to kill that first bird over there new bestfriend.
KN

vern3

Re: Marley's First Birds

Post by vern3 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Congrats sounds like a great afternoon.

mac78

Post by mac78 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:30 pm

Glad to see your buddy is ok and out in the fields with you, enjoy!
Dave

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:54 pm

kylenicholas02 wrote:She may not be the best, but she mine, and my work of art... and I couldnt be prouder.... I'm sure everyone out there know how it feels to kill that first bird over there new bestfriend.
I know exactly what you mean..... :D The best dog I think I'll ever own was given to me by a local breeder and you couldn't have bought that dog from me for a million dollars!! Enjoy your new best friend..... :mrgreen: