Kennel/Crate Training

Vaughjd

Kennel/Crate Training

Post by Vaughjd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:12 am

Hello,
I have just recently aquired my new black lab a week ago and am working on crate trainign at 9 weeks old. Does anyone out there have any quick tips or tricks that they used and had good sucess with? I am trying to remember hwo i first trained my 9 yr old lab back when she was a puppy, but cant really remember what route I took. Thanks for your help!

MikeB

Re: Kennel/Crate Training

Post by MikeB » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 am

You can't hurry the process of using a crate for potty training. I would put the pup out to potty and make sure it goes before bed time. Having the crate near your bed helps and if the pup whines in the night they need to go pee. I have read that a pup 2 months old can old it for 2 hrs, 3 months old 3 hrs etc. Some pups will sleep all night and some won't. Depends a lot on the pup. Don't let them drink a lot of water before bed time. I also make sure they sleep in the crate during nap times too. Make sure the pup has something to chew on when in the crate.

There is a lot of good info on the web if you search. Plenty of pet dog training info on crate / potty training for you and your pup. It all takes time for them to "get it" and for their system to grow so they can hold it all night. You will get there, it just takes time.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 am

1. Buy some Waggin' Train Chicken "Jerky" treats. I buy mine at Sam's. Use heavy scizzors to cut a bunch in half or thirds.
2. Every time you want pup to kennel, take him to the crate, throw in the treat and say "Kennel". Soon, all you'll have to do is go to the spot where you keep the treats and your pup will skeedaddle for the crate. The "jerky" treats are that awesome.
3. Never use the crate for punishment.
4. Make sure crate is comfortable. I had one dog that is cold natured in a drafty spot and it took me a long time to figure it out.
5. While pup is very young, take pup out to the "potty place" every 2 hours, after meals, after water sessions, etc.
6. No or very little water late in the evening.
7. Get pup pleasantly tired before bed time.

FWIW,

Greg J.

angmazz78

Post by angmazz78 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:06 am

I was having a very hard time with my GSP a few weeks ago when he came home. A few things that did the trick for me are:

1. Cover the crate w/ a sheet or blanket. It supposedly creates a more secure and comforting for the pup.
2. During playtime with the pup as you are tossing around a favorite toy, throw it into the crate. Pup will have to go in and get it if he wants to keep playing and he learns slowly that crate is nothing to fear.
3. Try feeding pup in the crate. This one is what did it for my GSP who is an absolute horse when its mealtime. They associate the crate with something positive and will learn quickly the crate is a good place.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 am

You might also try putting something with your smell on it like an old tee shirt; seems to help calm and comfort them making them more relaxed. :)

GATechAE07

Post by GATechAE07 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:25 am

I am also training a new pup (she is a 10wk old GSP) and am having trouble as well. Primarily, she doesn't seem to mind peeing in her crate. She never alerts that she needs to go out during the night, and if I'm not proactive, I wake up to a new wet spot in her bedding. She also regularly pees on my girlfriend and I while we are carrying her outside to use the bathroom. It's a little strange for me, because I have never had a dog that would sit quietly in his/her kennel after having peed.

Any tips would be appreciated as everyone at work is beginning to wonder why I change my clothes every day after lunch.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:41 pm

GATech,you may want to have her checked for a UTI. Also maybe the kennel is too big for her. Sometimes if there is too much room in the kennel they will go potty. You never said how much you are limiting her water intake. You may want to cut back. I would keep that in mind......................Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly