Where do I start? GSP pup

scott_r

Where do I start? GSP pup

Post by scott_r » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Ive got my first hunting dog coming to our home and am very excited. I would like to know what material would be best for training my pup. I enjoy reading, videos and doing lots of training by myself, I think I have the patience and time to work with a dog.
Please let me know of a good webpage to buy from or some good books and videos to buy for German Shorthairs.

Cheers!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:01 pm

"The Best Way To Train Your Gun Dog" by Tarrant/Smith
The Puppy I and Puppy II DVDs
or anything else from http://www.huntsmith.com/ .

"The Bird Dog Training Manual" by Dave Walker at http://www.davewalkerdogs.com/the-bird- ... manual.htm .

Perfect Start / Perfect Finish by http://www.perfectionkennel.com/ .

---

The bottom line is that you want to spend the first 12-18 months introducing your pup to its future job. After that, training starts.

Greg J.

big daddy

Post by big daddy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Perfect start video is very good , uses all breeds in all situations, easy to understand. Alot of people really like it. You can go to Gun Dog Supply on the enternet and find it. It is about $70.00 but worth it. Hope this helps and good luck.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:52 am

scott,

Congrats on the new pup!! If there is a NAVHDA Chapter near you they are a great resource. NAVHDA is a non-profit teaching organization. They train owners how to train their dogs.

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
http://www.navhda.org

tfbirddog2

pup

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:44 pm

"The Ultimate Bird Dog Training Book" I think its Robinsondont mark me on that. Make you own style, by a wing and stick for point training,teach dog to retrieve in the hallway of home with doors closed so dog cant go anywhere but to you,ect..Dont forget socialize that pup from people to dogs, cat, crates any and everything.Everyone here is always willing to help.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:44 am

I second checking out NAVHDA. Please do not get a wing to "teach" your dog to point. First off your dog should know how to point, you just need to teach it to hold point (work with/for you). Second, do you really want your dog pointing dead birds? Third, the dogs pointing the wing on a stick are sight pointing and it is just showing the dog can point.

scott_r

Post by scott_r » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:08 pm

Great info fellows I will look into all of it. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and everyone up her is crazy for labs. In the entire province there are 2 breeders (showdogs) and one breeder thats an actual hunter that I found so I had to go to ND.
I personally like something different and have always wanted a German Shorthair and sounds like it will be alot of fun training and being with my new hunting partner. My 2 year old son will love the pup too :D
Look forward to reading more of your guys post, excellent info!!

Cheers!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Read the Delmar Smith book recommended. I am using it for my sons pup. That chain gang works, he leads like no other now. Re reading it again, next litter getsa 3 week old check cord as he recommends. Makes a lot of sense that man does.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

tfbirddog2

training pup

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:26 am

NO the wing on a stick is not for teaching your dog to point dead birds H.V. it is to teach Whoa, and to let you flush for them, not themselves flushing the bird.To each his own right no problem with my dogs and guiding hunts with them or pointing dead birds.Thank you feathers deruffled.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

High Voltage

Re: pup

Post by High Voltage » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:05 am

tfbirddog2 wrote:"The Ultimate Bird Dog Training Book" I think its Robinsondont mark me on that. Make you own style, by a wing and stick for point training,teach dog to retrieve in the hallway of home with doors closed so dog cant go anywhere but to you,ect..Dont forget socialize that pup from people to dogs, cat, crates any and everything.Everyone here is always willing to help.
by a wing and stick for point training,

Sorry - Don't know how I miss understood this.

tfbirddog2

training

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:49 pm

Thats fine I thought you had to be crazy when most folks here train with it.Its called lots of different things mines called pheasent wing on a Berkley and Shimano rod and reel.

grousehunter08

Post by grousehunter08 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:12 pm

i still wouldn't use a wing on a stick ever just not for me i guess

gwgdog66

Re: Where do I start? GSP pup

Post by gwgdog66 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:41 am

Congratulations on the new pup :D Nothing like training one yourself, the two of you will have a great time :D

scott_r

Post by scott_r » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:50 pm

So Im getting the pup in three weeks and am wondering if there is anything I really need in next 8-10 months other then socializing the pup? Can I take her out when I go shoot some clay pigeons at a young age? Do I need a training collar and such?
Im sure the reccommended videos and books talk all about this but I don't have them yet and am curious.

Cheers!!

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:22 am

Where abouts are you from?
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:11 am

Taking a dog to a gun range, even a dog that has been hunted, is risky. DO NOT take your pup to the range thinking this will acclimate him to gun shots. It can and will make the dog gunshy.

Reech

Post by Reech » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:07 pm

Congradulations on the New pup. I also trained my first dog this year. I Couldnt agree more on finding a NAVHDA Chapter or a GSP club. Find someone who has trained a gundog before. See how well his dog is trained and then decide if this is the type of dog you want to hunt over. Most Gundog owners are very willing to help someone get their feet into the fire.

Patients is the next thing you will need.

Reech

upland-o

Post by upland-o » Fri May 23, 2008 8:18 am

you have to be very careful with the wing-on-a-string technique. There a a ton of professional trainers out there who believe that it enforces sight pointing too strongly. The best way to whoa train your dog is with a whoa post. I just drive a stake into the ground attached to a 50 foot lead and put a bird out in front of it at the end of the check cord. Let the dog range out in front and when he locks up encourage him and use your whoa command every time he resists against the cord, when you feel hes held long enough, flush the bird and shoot it, or shoot your blank. This also encourages your friend to be steady to wing

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 am

Seems as though the advice kind of jumped around here. When you get the young pup socialize him, take him for free running, don't hack at him, get him to learn to range and hunt, teach him NO, KENNEL, his name, let your kids romp around with him, let him explore unimpeded. In a few months, have him chase a few pigeons to get him fired up for birds, maybe free release some good flying pen quail and let him find them on his own, point, bump, chase, whatever he wants to do. Don't think about any guns at this time!!!! When he is fired up and chasing like a maniac, hauling rear around the field, in full chase of birds, when he's more like 6 months or so old, then shoot the blank gun one time, if he turns and looks to you, IGNORE him, and move on. This is the only way I know to introduce a gun to a dog with next to no worry of creating gunshyness. Read all the books you can find, do not read GUN DOG, pure garbage, read Crangle, Wehle, Smith/Tarrant, Long, Roebuck, watch videos by Smith, Miller, Hann, Nahorn, etc. GO SLOW!! Don't teach SIT!! Remember, fun runs, walks, trips to Petsmart, rides in the Vari Kennel or dog box, neighborhood kids, lots of experiences, ARE training.

It it sounds like it might be a mistake or if it seems like it might not be the best idea, don't do it! Seek advice from a respected trainer who has actually trained a bunch of nice dogs.