Where to purchase pigeons?

T2Georgia

Where to purchase pigeons?

Post by T2Georgia » Wed May 12, 2004 11:55 am

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Can anyone tell me where to purchase pigeons for training? I live in south Atlanta. I have never done this before so I am at a loss.

Second question for ya :D pigeons or quail? Which do you use and why? Does one strictly use pigeons, quail, or a combination of both? Thanks in advance for your comments/opinions......they are appreciated!!!!

T2

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed May 12, 2004 12:31 pm

Using pigeons or quail are going to depend on a number of factors: the price, availability, temperament of the dog and experience the dog has had.

Pigeons are good to start out with for a non-submissive dog. They are more durable, bigger, etc. They are a good bird for starting a dog out...and tough for retrieving. However, after some time, dogs get bored with them.

Quail are more of a tender bird. They won't withstand the stress like the pigeons do. A more submissive dog will have an easier time with them, based on their size. They aren't as intimidated with them as they would be with the pigeons. They have a different smell of a pigeon, more intense.

I start with either or. I've got some dogs here that are on quail. I've also got some here that are on pigeons. The temperament of the dog is the big factor of determination for me.

Sorry, I can't help you out with finding birds in your area.[/b]

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed May 12, 2004 12:53 pm

I've got a trap ordered, and I've talked to a hardware shop here in cartersville about trapping in their barns. I'm going to trap them for training. If I get enough, you can have some =)

Grant

ccl20

Post by ccl20 » Wed May 12, 2004 5:16 pm

if you live in the city, you could go and trap them under viaducts. know a lot fo people who did it. all you really need is a pen for them, a fishing net, and a flashlight. go out at night, shine the light direct at them, and have a partner swap them with the net. if you have access to a rural area, i would follow "grantc2" plan.

T2Georgia

Post by T2Georgia » Wed May 12, 2004 8:46 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions! You guys always provide great feedback :D

Grant ---- let me know if you have more then you need - I will take you up on your offer. Guess I should start thinking about building a pen!

Thanks again.

T2

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu May 13, 2004 7:05 am

I got my trap today, but UPS smashed it...... :shock:

They are sending me a new one =)

T2Georgia

Post by T2Georgia » Thu May 13, 2004 9:58 am

Grant -- Cool!!! When you get a chance, take a picture of it and let us see it. What kind did you decide on? I still don't know what I am going to do about getting pigeons. I assumed you could order them and have them delivered --- might be a wrong assumption!!!

Have a great day.

T2

emae

Post by emae » Thu May 13, 2004 11:13 am

On another site I read about www.eggbid.com. You can order pigeons from there, but shipping can be very pricey, that is why I never did it, figured I would try and net some underneath the viaducts as needed, or find a farmer where I can trap. Just a thought tho.

T2Georgia

Post by T2Georgia » Thu May 13, 2004 12:47 pm

Thanks everyone!!!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu May 13, 2004 2:07 pm

I got mine from dogsafield.com

T2Georgia

Post by T2Georgia » Thu May 13, 2004 2:23 pm

Grant,

Looks like a pretty solid pen - don't think they will be getting out of that one!

I found the dogsafield.com webpage just the other day and noticed they are here in Atlanta. I emailed them and was wondering if they had a walk-in type store. I received an email back from Rita Summer saying they do not have a walk-in type store, but anyone is welcome to visit and purchase from their warehouse. The warehouse is located in East Point which is just north of the airport. That is very close to me since I work next to the airport. The address is 1559 East Taylor Ave., East Point, Georgia. The local number is 404-767-4914. Not sure if you knew this or not.

Do you know of any walk-in hunting dog stores in the Atlanta area? I have looked online, but have not been successful in finding anything other then web based businesses.

Thanks.

T2