Cherry eye

Addict

Cherry eye

Post by Addict » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:44 am

My brothers dog has developed cherry eye. It is a problem with the tear glad in their third eyelid. I guess it can be a pretty simple fix.

I have been looking but can't find if this is a genetic disorder or not.
Should the dog be neutered because of this?

Anyone else ever have to fix a cherry eye before? What can I expect?

Addict

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:07 am

I bought a dog that developed cherry eye. I don't remember the cost but the vet said it was pretty expensive, and was genetic. I sold her and the new owner said his vet just "clipped" it off very easy.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:09 am

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Cherry eye is also very common in Cockers, I know several breeders & have seen it a lot in them in 28 yrs of grooming. I saw a litter of pointers last year, all but one of 5 pups had it & needed the surgery.....

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:21 pm

I have to wonder if it is genetic. I had a litter of 10 years ago. Completly clear. Did a repeat and out of 10 more there were 2 or 3, cannot remember now. Have not seen it since. Same lines. Almost seemed like they picked up something.... :?
brenda

Addict

Post by Addict » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:20 pm

Well I have been in contact with the breeder because this is the first litter with the dam. He wanted us to let him know about any health problems and how the pups are progressing. He has had five litters from the sire without any health problems and the dam's side is all clear in her history as well. I am guessing that something got into the pups eye and damaged it.

The breeder has gone above and beyond what I would expect and is going to pay for half the surgery. My brother was not asking for this and didn't expect any help. The breeder wants us to be completely satisfied with our dogs. The vets that I have talked to are split on whether it is genetic or not.

Addict

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:39 pm

In 40 years of breeding I have never seen any pattern to indicate cherry eye is genetic.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:36 pm

I'll be darn. Had to read the links K9 posted. Never even heard of it before.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Tejas

Cherry eye

Post by Tejas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:43 pm

I just saw a litter of pointer pups this past weekend that were four months old and everyone of them had cherry eye.

The owner/breeder/professional trainer said that it was extremely common in that line of breeding. I can't recall what line it was and rather than speculate I will find out and then post.