Stool Eating

ourhunters

Stool Eating

Post by ourhunters » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:53 pm

What is your take on stool eating? I don't think we've discussed this before.... Anyhow, our year old GSP has just begun to eat our weims stools. What in the heck can that animal be thinking? I say he's mad because he doesn't get Duke's food (Duke is on allergy food and Eight loves it). He's mad at me that I don't give him Duke's food so he gets some anyway! :( OK, maybe not. What is going on? How do I deal?
:pukeleft:
Caren

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:23 pm

you can order this stuff called FORBID i think fosters and smith has it add it to the weims food fro a few days to a week...I have tried meat tenderizer and that didn't help my dog but the FORBID put a halt to the Poop eating
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:43 am

Stool eating comes from feeding a poorly digestible diet, underfeeding, and medical conditions that decrease absorption such as digestive enzyme deficiencies or parasites, could lead to malnutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiencies and therefore an increased appetite and possibly stool eating. Also, if the stools contain large amounts of undigested food material, there is an increased likelihood that Eight would eat Duke's stools.

Stool eating is a common problem in some puppies, and generally clears up by adulthood. And, by eating the stools, it may more attention from you, and then the behavior may be further reinforced. Sometimes, pups mimic from when Mom used to clean them. It has been a well documented fact that dogs tend to be attracted to sniff and lick infection or discharge of their pack-mates, may explain some of the motivation for stool eating.

The best way to stop it is to remove the temptation. Pick up the stool as soon as possible and interrupt Eight as soon as you see him go over to even sniff it. If you're going to add something to the stools, you'll have to break the stools open and insert the product into it. Unpleasant tastes are unlikely to be successful unless the product is suitably noxious as well as odorless. Some dogs learn to deal with the "taste" though and will either avoid the ones that have been treated or will ignore the unusual taste and continue. Using something that will be associated with nauseousness is the most effective method.

Birdhunter1

Re: Stool Eating

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:02 pm

ourhunters wrote:What is your take on stool eating?
What's my take on it, a little mushy and bland. Add a little salt and a dab of chilli powder. LOL

A s*** eating pointer, brings a smile to my face ten miles wide.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:34 pm

C-S B makes a good point about the undigested food. perhaps if the dog is not digesting the food properly, then maybe there is an underlying problem (especially if this has just started happening). a friend of ours had a dog that began eating his other dog's poop when she had to go on a special medicine at one point in her life. when the dog no longer took the meds, the stool eating stopped. could the dog with the allergies have a digestion problem as well that is leaving undigested food in his/her stools? are you feeding the pup quality dog food as well, or could his/her diet be missing something that he/she is finding in the stools from the allergy dog's food?
if you are just worried about the disgusting part of poop eating, then birdhunter could be onto something with his *flavorful* recipe :roll: . some people use cayenne pepper to deter chewing and digging in certain areas. what if you sprinkled that on the stools. of course, you would look like a total moron following your dog around and spicing up his $hit, but hey.... if it works, then no harm done. :wink:
also wondering if you have tried letting the dogs out seperately and scooping and getting rid of the dogmess inbetween dogs? if it isn't there, then the pup can't eat it, right? plus, you eliminate those squishy surprises that inevitably await if you are ever out in the yard. scooping sucks, but it is cleaner, and all of your problems are taken care of. whatever you decide to do, good luck!!

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:40 pm

Eight only likes the fresh ones! With the temps below zero I really hate to stay out and watch to see if Dukes gonna take a crap, but I've got to do whatever it takes to get this dog away from doing that.

Eight very well could be lacking something. I have been feeding him chicken and rice Pro Plan Performance. He doesn't seem to like it much. I always hate to switch the dogs though, seems so disrupting. But, have been thinking about it since he doesn't really care for it.

Duke has all sorts of digestive/allergy problems. That is probably the reason. I don't want to use the forbid on it, just for that reason - stomach problems.

We had this problem when Duke was little with eating deer poop, he always had such great breath after that!

Well, we'll see what happens, thanks all for the good explainations.

Caren