Male dogs will breed @ what age?

gary

Male dogs will breed @ what age?

Post by gary » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:37 pm

Males become futile at what age(avg.)?????
I love what I'm seeing in this young(TJ-jake-rider)pup and will wait an watch his progress before going outside for a stud...Gary

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:14 pm

Not sure on when one can re-produce but I can say I had a 6month old male that thought he could. The dog was a free runner that came looking for it and Crocket was not picky. I have no Idea if anything was produced and I am sure he was not the only one.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:35 am

Most males are "futile" for most of their lives!
Sorry, your type just made me smile.....

I would guess males are "fertile" when they start to reach puberty, some earlier than others... from 6 mos and up.

Having a male, even a very good one, doesn't mean bitch owners will be knocking your door down to use him. Unfortunately, too many male dog owners think this is going to happen..... and they are very disapointed in the end.

Go do everything you can with your youngster, learn all you can about your breed, be informed and educated about other dogs in the country. Most importantly, try not to be kennel blind and learn what his faults are along with his outstanding quallities!

Remember, there hasn't been a perfect dog born yet! At least I've never seen one myself. If he becomes a great one, you will get calls.

Have fun!

gary

Breeding

Post by gary » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:16 am

FUZZNUT Quote:Go do everything you can with your youngster, learn all you can about your breed, be informed and educated about other dogs in the country. Most importantly, try not to be kennel blind and learn what his faults are along with his outstanding quallities

Good advise,and yes I will hunt some weekends and trial this dog all the way to NFC(if it's in him),and I have worked hard trying to learn as much as I can about this breed.
It goes back 58 years and 27 years of saveing semen from the greatest dogs of the past.
My interest was to try and prove this female and male at the same time.Most mateings are subjective and don't always come out the way one plans..I had no intention of selling pups or breedings,but to pick the best and nuter the rest.
All my dogs are OFA , but that will have to wait in this case,but since they will not be for sale I can wait out the 2 years.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:05 pm

Gary
tell us more about this pup and what you mean about 57 yrs and saving semen.

gary

Male Dogs

Post by gary » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:38 pm

FUZZNUT,
Semen banks have been around for years.I have access to several right here in my area.
This pups mother was a semen breeding that was 25 years in storage.
It will be the future on mant types of animals.I save
back semen each year,for accidents happen and some things cannot be replaced,or convently reproduced.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:04 pm

Generally, by the time they're 6 months old, they're fertile...7 for sure.