Question for Gayla (if she doesn't mind)

Colleen

Question for Gayla (if she doesn't mind)

Post by Colleen » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:12 am

I got some Ivermectin for my pups (although not Biscuit yet, she's too little). Heartgard pills pills are ivermectin (duh) and panflouate.

What is panflouate? What does it do? That is the other ingredient in Heartgard. Just wondering what it is my pups may or may not be missing out on. Also to be able to defend myself in case I get a vet critic like Grant and Lindsay, and want to know I am doing the best by my dogs.

Thanks!!

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:21 am

Colleen,

She is checking her eye lids for light leaks...When the test is over I will ask her for you!!

I checked the Med books, couldn't find it, even googled it, no sources available. I would say its either a perservative, a carrier or something that holds the pill together, but I will get an answer tomorrow! I dont have heartgard here, are you spelling it right?

If it was something that they thought the dogs really needed, they would be hyping it as such, I would think.

Phil
REO

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:31 am

I checked my Heartgard, and the only secondary ingrediant I could find was Pyrantel (I use Heartgard plus). Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension, or Pyrantel as Pamoate Salt (on the Heartgard label) is a secondary drug that helps fight worms and infections caused by worms. The FDA approval states: "The Abbreviated New Animal Drug Application provides for oral use of two strengths of pyrantel pamoate suspension in dogs for the management of various internal parasites."

The approval can be seen here: http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/ ... i24493.htm

(Notice at the bottom of the amendment, they also correct a previous misspelled word. :lol: )

If that's not what you're looking for, then I'm stumped. I couldn't find anything on panflouate either. I'd venture a guess, like Phil, that it's a secondary ingrediant to help keep the chewable together or give it more flavor to be palatable for dogs. My dog eats it up better than a milkbone, so whatever they use it works.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:01 am

OK, well of course then I threw away the little wrapper the pill came in after giving it to her, but I swear the label says "Ivermectin XX%, Panflouate XX%"

Regardless, I guess the meat of my question is really just whether ivermectin alone is enough to protect against all the worms.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:55 pm

colleen,
i think it protects against many common ones, but not all. (whip is one of those i think???) anyhoo.... i am pretty sure that there is something that you can give along with the ivermec if you suspect a problem or are just worried about it. just a thought.... judge was on ivermec alone for a while, while condor and bowen were on the very expensive interceptor, and NONE of the dogs got ANY worms. so.... as far as the ivermec doing a good job on its own... i would say yes. :)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:21 pm

Ivermec gets all worms but Whips and Tapes. I think Whips are pretty rare anyway. I have been using it alone for 20 yrs. Swear by it.
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:43 pm

Pyrantel is for roundworms.

Best,

ward myers

worms

Post by ward myers » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:45 pm

i use zemectrin gold paste once in a while to catch the oddball worms such as whips & microndas that regular ivermectrin doesnt catch,i was told it even gets tapeworms