Cuts and Gashes

ourhunters

Cuts and Gashes

Post by ourhunters » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:43 pm

I am wondering at what point do you take your dog in for stitches? Eight got quite the gash today, trying to get it together with EMT Gel, but it's pretty big.

Thanks in advance!

Caren

ward myers

cuts

Post by ward myers » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:46 pm

my rule of thumb is if your asking then you need to

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:27 am

Most DOcs wont stich up a cut after 24 hours.............

If you think its that bad...get it done right away.

While you are there, ask the Doc to show you the proper way to use staple sutures.the best thing to have in your first aid kit in my opinion! Especially with our fast moving dogs these days!

Phil
REO

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:03 am

Since it's Sunday tomorrow, I don't forsee seeing a vet. So, I'm really hoping the wound heals up fast. My husband thought we should go in for stitches, but I thought I could get it back together. If you can't see a vet in 24 hrs. it's pretty much just got to heal on its own? Or do they do some sort of suture? I'm betting on it healing up, but we'll see.

Thanks. I'll ask about the staple sutures next time I go in.

Caren

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:50 am

If you can't get to the vet within 24 hours, then yes, it is too late for stitches. By that time, the body starts to heal. If it's still open pretty good, you might want to call the vet to get some antibiotics for preventitive measures to infections. Keep the area dry and if it's in an area that can stay somewhat clean, keep it open and let the air heal it.

I had a dog that got into a fight over a bitch in heat...the only way to break it up was to pull the other dog off of him, and the result was getting his ear torn in half length-wise. It was on a Saturday and seeing the accident led my father-in-law to pass out and head to the hospital...needless to say, there wasn't time to deal with the dog until it was too late to stitch. We did have the option of having the vet put him under and cut the scar tissue and then resew it after it had completely healed, but I think having "3" ears adds more character.

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:47 pm

Today it looks like it he must have licked it open again. I looks like it is clean, I shot some saline in there to flush it. Is there a sign of infection or should I just call the vet and get some antibiotcs anyhow? Maybe I'll stick some more EMT gel in there before our run tonight, that way he won't be thinking about his wound, and it'll have a chance to dry.

Thanks gals and guys!

Caren

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:52 pm

Getting an antibiotic wouldn't hurt, especially if you're going to be running him. If it's a decent cut, it's going to ooze for awhile...nature's way of cleaning it out and healing it up.

tfbirddog2

Cuts and Gashes?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:40 pm

I can not stress enough for all birddoggers EMT it is the birddogs best-Friend.I've had two run ins with barb-wire this year one needed stiches,but I was out of town an my boss had the dog. So he had her stiched up cause you could see muscle.The other run in was just a punchter,but without EMT I would might of had to see the vet.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:01 pm

You should get her on Keflex or cefalexin, if you think she needs antibiotics. The canine form is the same as the human.

EMT gel does work wonders, I wouldn't use it instead of getting stiches, but in a pinch it will do. You might try wraping it with Vet Wrap too. Also if you cant find EMT you could use crazy glue.

A staple suture is the next best to have around. They are available in local drug stores. But you would have to learn how to use them properly.

Phil
REO

ward myers

staple sucture

Post by ward myers » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:10 pm

phill is a staple suture the same as a butterfly clamp ?

snip

Post by snip » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:26 am

I don,t hardly stitch anything anymore. Unless it's a show dog. Good 'ol triple antibiotic ointment (keeping it clean by cleansing it daily) and some antibiotics. Dogs heal remarkably. I have even had a huge tear in a leg, I think it healed with a little lump left, never to be noticed.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:27 pm

Ward,

Butterfly clamp, she doesn't know exactly what you are reffering to. The staples are small circles for lack of a better example.

BTW....have fun with that new dog this evening.....Give Miss Dixie a pet for me....I didn't get to see her before she left.

Phil
REO

birddog

Post by birddog » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:35 pm

This is after the fact, but I would like to suggest a Topical Ointmen that an old time Pointer man introduced me to. It is used on the utter of cows for chapping and small abrasions. It is Thuja-Zinc Oxide Ointment. I have been using it for years with remarkable results. While grouse hunting, one of my dogs got poked with a branch which put a really big whole in her chest. Sitting in the cabin that night petting her I felt the injury that was not noticeable by sight. Being Saturday I could not get her to a Vet. I put some of the ointment right into the deep whole and the next morning it looked really good. I kept it clean and continued to apply the ointment and by Monday when Vet offices were again open the injury was healed enough that it needed no further attention. In no means do I suggest you would use this ointment in place of a Vet, but in an emergency it is nice to have around.
Janet

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:35 pm

Zinc oxide is a great bacteriostat as well as helping to promote new skin...look how well it works for diaper rash, acne and as a sunscreen! :D

ward myers

ointments

Post by ward myers » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:28 pm

any heavy metals such as zinc,silver,copper are good bacterilcides & virulcides
heavy metals messes up there membranes so they cant reproduce

birddog

Post by birddog » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:37 am

I nearly had a panic attach after reading Wards post, so I pm him to get a clarification.
The metals he mentions such as zinc and copper only affect single cell organisms such as virus and bacteria from reproducing. Nothing to do with the dogs reproduction.
Janet

ward myers

birddog

Post by ward myers » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:34 pm

so your the one that beat me to the punch on the birddog name
:roll: