Strange!!

snips
GDF Junkie

Strange!!

Post by snips » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:33 pm

I was running some dogs today and noticed one dog eating something, did not pay much attention. Later I was out with another and that dog stopped and was munching too. I hollered and made them drop it. I looked at it and it was a square of something that smelled good, inside was a parafin coated packit of pink fluid. It looked like someone trying to poisen something. I got in and called our co-op, they told me to call animal control. YIKES! After a panic attack, I found out they were dropping Rabies tablets from a plane for coyotes and what not. So, I guess I have Rabies vaccine strewn all over...I had see low flying planes the last couple of days, kinda scarrey! The good news is they said it would not hurt them, I hope not!
brenda

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:57 pm

This might sound like a stupid question, but why are they dropping them? Do you have a high rate of rabies cases in your area or are the coyotes getting so populated that they want them protected in the event that they encounter a human?

We have a case of rabies in a 15 year old in the state. She was scratched by a bat back in Sept. Got sick in October, went into a coma and is just now coming out of it. The drs. don't know what sort of damage has been done, but she recognizes her family members and is trying to talk. If she survives, I believe she will only be the 4th in the world(?) to survive.

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:30 pm

Not sure how your state is ran but I know it is state law for Utah to notify the public of such things! Thank the Good Lord that it was not bait for death!

ward myers

rabies bait blocks

Post by ward myers » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:23 pm

my female ate 6 of them 2nd from last day of hunting season
they are made of pressed processed fish
she was to sick to hunt next day not shure if it was fish or the vaccine but was fine in 2-3 days
here in florida it has cut rabies out breaks to almost nill

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:00 pm

Now that I know about them I`llkeep a closer eye on them. I`m sure Logan, my current trial dog sucked one down before I could do anything, the only dog that can grab something and eat on the run. The other dog had to stop and chew, thats when I grabbed it. Yes, we have alot of Rabies, and coyotes, but most Rabies cases are reported in Coons, skunks and such. They may have had it announced on the news, but I did not hear it. It sure scared me.
brenda

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:29 am

brenda!!
can't believe you actually FOUND some.... if you only knew HOW many times i bugged eric this summer about "what if the dogs eat some of the rabies pellets that they are dropping bla bla." and eric would say "they won't FIND any!!" i'll bet that DID freak you out!! now you can tell the dog catcher that you didn't vaccinate for rabies this year because "i jes took muh dogs out'n the woods an let um eat some them coyote pellets you'uns been throwin out the planes!!" just kidding!! :) i remember hearing something about that EARLY this summer... but i thought they were for the racoons and didn't know they were STILL dropping their vaccine bombs!!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:33 am

Hey Sudie! Miss you around here! Yes, I TOTALLY freaked out. It was`nt 5 min after finding a dog eating one, I was in here on the phone. Tell Eric, and dog with a nose will find them, they definatly have a odor to attract an animal. Unfortunatly the vet came by here about 2 mo ago and vaccinated all our dogs. No freebies........ :D
brenda

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:24 pm

man, you have NO idea how homesick i am!! just spent a week in mobile with my family b/c i was so sick of this place!! 3rd year blues i guess since i can FINALLY see the light at the end of the tunnel... eric will be graduating in early may, and as soon as hails is out of school later in the month, it is BACK to chattaboogie!!!!! i can't wait!!! how is you big liver pup?? what did you end up calling him?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:16 pm

BIG. Rick calls him "Chug" I call him Bomber. He`s a big sweetie, totally serious about his birds and swimming too. I adore his personality tho. The first time I ran him with the adults, after Gamble went to Africa, he was running up the path and his Mom cme ripping up behind him, he looked back and saw her coming and took off screaming for the house. It was a hoot! Just not used to the big dogs. Now he`s running right in with them.
brenda

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:23 pm

not surprised... he was big as a dang keg last time i saw him.... bet he is going to be a MONSTER!! you would not believe how big old judge has gotten!! when he arches his back like a cat he's taller than condor :) can't wait to get back home.... running the dogs at your place was a blast last summer... especially when i didn't lose the dogs!! :D