Diamond

grant
GDF Junkie

Diamond

Post by grant » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:42 pm

I'm moving Bell from the Diamond Puppy.

Can anyone recommend what to feed her now? I would like to stick with diamond, but I saw that they had several choices...

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:55 pm

With Cooper I started out on the Diamond Puppy, Cowboy is on it now.

When Cooper hit 10 months old, I moved him to the Premium Adult formula (green bag with yellow highlights). It has 26% protien and 18% fat. I liked that feed a lot. Cooper looked fantastic on it. I was able to maintain his weight easily. It also came in 50 pound bags.

For the hunting season, I have been running Cooper alot more. So I switched over to the Professional formula (black bag with purple highlights). It has 30% protien and 20% fat. I found that a lot of guys in the bird dog world like a 30/20 feed. Since switching to this feed, Cooper's muscles have become very well defined, he looks pretty skinny through his ribs, but the vet says he likes the way he looks. I am not sure if I can attribute this to the food or the fact that I have been running him a lot. The other thing is that this food comes in a 40 pound Bag. It also costs more than the green bag.

I have been wondering if switching to the Performance formula was overkill. I plan to switch back after hunting season. I know your dog will do fine on the Premium Adult formula in the green bag. It costs less and you get more for your money. It may benefit your dog to use the Performance Blend in the black bag. It may also be overkill.

I probably just confused you more. I await what others have to say.

Oh and another note: In a taste test, Cowboy, who is 4 months old likes the Performance Blend the best. He leaves his food and steals Cooper’s food whenever he can get to it. :P

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:43 pm

That doesn't mean Cowboy likes it better, it just means he's a real dog!!! :lol:

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:44 pm

Cool thanks...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:40 pm

Try the Maker's Mark Exceed Performance from Sam's. It's Pro Plan Performance (30%, 20%) in a Sam's bag. I got 44 lbs for $20. My dogs that were on Pro Plan dig it.

Best,

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:27 am

We feed everything here Pride, and just switched the pups over. They do great on it. 15.00 for 50 lbs. . It`s 28/18
brenda

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:36 pm

Prices shouldn't be a factor, ingredients should be the key reason for buying a dog food. A lot of dog foods are cheap because of that reason. What ingredients do you think are best for your dog? They're alot like us so what do you eat? I have to watch what I eat no corn, potato, pasta, white rice (starches)I can eat chicken, fish, brown rice, whole grains veggies and fruit.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:07 am

Prices should defineltly not play a role in which food to buy.

Go by the ingredients only, but also look in to the derivative of all protiens and fat. Ground yellow corn is useless.

You want to use the higest fat available. High protien comes along with it, it is the preservative for the fat. You could leave your dog on the better food all year round, just feed less according to activity.

You best bet for fat is, save all oils, grease and fat from cooking and add to food. I also use fresh oil on top of their kibble too.

Depending on how carried away you want to get.....Dogs need the creatine found in raw meat. THey alos benefit from raw bone marrow as well. You could get a cheap meat gringer and but Chicken backs and necks, to make a patte consistency out of.

Now that Deer season is here, there is going to be a fresh supply availble here!

Phil

blitzkrieg

Food

Post by blitzkrieg » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:31 pm

Brenda,
Is that Pride as in Sportsman's Pride? Aaron

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:35 am

QCBirddogs wrote:Prices should defineltly not play a role in which food to buy.
As long as I can get the same quality food for less, I do believe I'll consider price.

Best,

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:58 am

Aaron, it is just Pride. We feed the green bag, 26-18. They have a black bag thats 24-20 also. We have fed it for several years and love the way our dogs do on it, and training dogs many times leave looking better than they came. Dogs can come and go without that uckky change in stool. I have seen dogs come in with a uckky stool and it firms up overnite on this food. I can check the bag for a contact no if you want to find where he dealers are. It is made in London Ky.
brenda