Dog behaving strangely - decreased appetite and lethargy

Taylor_B

Dog behaving strangely - decreased appetite and lethargy

Post by Taylor_B » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:11 am

Hi All
I'll preface this post with a note that we do have a vet appointment scheduled, so this will all be reviewed by our veterinarian.
I'm just curious if anyone has any insight.

Over the past week or two, our one dog (9YO) has just been seeming down and out. Lethargic, moping around, decreased appetite (though she appears to be drinking normally). It's not uncommon for her to turn her nose up to her kibble, so I wasn't all too surprised last week when she started her regular "Nope - not eating that" behavior (we rotate through flavors of proplan because if we're on one for too long, she and my setter just flat out refuse it no matter what we do to it). Since I wanted to get through the rest of this bag, I started souping it up with goodies (some ground deer here and there). And then she was eating it, but picking out only what she wanted from the bowl (i.e. spitting out the kibble, eating the ground meat). I switched to a new bag of kibble earlier this week and she enjoyed a whole bowl, but as of the past few days, she's just not interested in eating that either, or most things (she turned down a bowl of ground meat last night).

She doesn't appear to be in pain at all (no limping or lameness). I've felt her all over and don't notice any inflammation of lymph nodes, no abnormalities that I can see. She also scarfed down a few milk bones at work the other day when I brought her to the office, and will readily take us up on a walk or a run in the field...like there's not a "bleep" thing wrong. But she just won't eat a meal...and she's just been laying around constantly..just seems down and out.

About 8 or 9 months back at a routine vet appointment she had her regular tick-borne disease/heartworm test. She tested positive for anaplasmosis. At that time, since her CBC was normal and she appeared otherwise fine, the vet said she was not going to treat it.

I've read that anaplasmosis, like lymes, can hang around and start to show symptoms months after infection. The lethargy and the decreased appetite are both symptoms.

The wildcard is we also got a 3rd dog in July...he's a year-old ball of wild and it's definitely taken some getting used to for the other two dogs. Our girl doesn't particularly like him, but she tolerates him. I'm not sure if maybe she's just depressed with the change of life?
Idk...but it's got me stressed out. I can't get her into the vet until Tuesday. So I figured maybe I'd see what you guys think?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog behaving strangely - decreased appetite and lethargy

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:13 am

I'm not a vet, but to me it seems very likely that it is anaplasmosis and should be treated.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett