Bummer….Broken Tail

Garrison

Bummer….Broken Tail

Post by Garrison » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:19 pm

Came home on Monday and when coming through the garage door to the house, my setter got his trail caught in the door. He yelped, but a few minutes later he showed no sign of discomfort and all looked normal for the rest of the week. When I let him out of his crate this morning, it was curled down and he was showing discomfort and trying to lick it. I took him to the vet and the 4th vertebrae from the end is fractured. I have a splint coming to try and help it heal a bit straighter, and the vet thinks the way it fractured it won’t be crooked from side to side. Hoping for the best, but also have some realistic expectations. Could be worse but still stinks when you own a long tail.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

NEhomer

Re: Bummer….Broken Tail

Post by NEhomer » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:26 am

Oh man, so sorry to hear that. My setter pushes through the spring loaded front screen door and I'm always worried that it'll slam on his tail.

Best of luck~

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:02 pm

Sorry to hear that. It's always something. :(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:12 pm

Always something, but that’s what we are here for!

I noticed this morning when he went to lift a leg, he straightened out his tail and it looked completely normal. Keeping my fingers crossed. The break was center of the bone and no damage to the joint, so maybe, just maybe, we might come out of this better than it could have been.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:23 am

Update:

Well it’s looking better every day. Tails are notoriously difficult to immobilize, but luckily it was near the end and I found a product that helped tremendously for where the fracture was located. It utilizes a braided material that acts similar to a child’s finger handcuff. I snuggly vet wrap about 6” of the tail, place this contraption on and secure it with a couple half pieces of duct tape. I have to do it about twice a day, and he has become accustomed to it, and seems to be leaving it alone even after we ditched the head cone. When I take it off it seems to be pretty straight. 🤞🏻

Garrison
FF0BB524-634F-44E5-939D-D7A42E452D2F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Mark Twain-

mask

Post by mask » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:58 am

I hope all turns out good. You always hear that a dog does not find birds with their tail but I hate tp see a dogs beauty altered by an injury. Some people that make those kind of statements may just have a dog with lousy tail. :lol:

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:21 am

Well it was going well. Then he some how hit it just right and re-injured the tail. It became much worse and infected. Tried our best, but going to have to amputate a portion of it. Really stinks!

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:03 am

I'm sorry that happened Garrison.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:57 pm

So sorry Garrison...and after all the pia of wrapping it and trying to keep it still. Best of luck to you~

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 pm

NEhomer wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:57 pm
So sorry Garrison...and after all the pia of wrapping it and trying to keep it still. Best of luck to you~
Thanks, it really does stink. But there are much worse issues to deal with, still have a healthy hunting buddy.

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:26 pm

Sorry to hear it Garrison. Looking for a bright side here. I bet he will be a dog you always remember…
Willie