Dogs with sensitive stomachs

Mosby

Dogs with sensitive stomachs

Post by Mosby » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:34 pm

I have an older Vizsla that has had a sensitive stomach. For the past few years, she frequently would delay eating in the morning and would have ongoing stomach issues. We have always blamed it on food and treats.

Changed her to PPP Sensitive Skin and Stomach and that helped but she would still have issues on a relatively regular basis.

A couple of months ago I found a Brita pitcher in our basement that we forgot about and started filtering my dogs water. She hasn't had a stomach issue since. Big difference and I am now wondering if her problems has been the chemicals and minerals in the water.

Regardless, I am sold on filtering my dogs water going forward. Even bought an extra pitcher to take on hunts with me in the fall.

Thought I would pass it along, in case anyone else has a dog with stomach problems. Might not be the food and filtering dogs water might be worth a try.

art hubbard

Re: Dogs with sensitive stomachs

Post by art hubbard » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:42 am

Interesting....

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Is that just regular city water that you're filtering?
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 pm

We have well water at our house in NW Arkansas and we are in KC monthly at our son's house, which is city water. So our dogs get both types on a regular basis.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:07 pm

Oh, okay!
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:17 am

Mosby wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:34 pm
I have an older Vizsla that has had a sensitive stomach. For the past few years, she frequently would delay eating in the morning and would have ongoing stomach issues. We have always blamed it on food and treats.

Changed her to PPP Sensitive Skin and Stomach and that helped but she would still have issues on a relatively regular basis.

A couple of months ago I found a Brita pitcher in our basement that we forgot about and started filtering my dogs water. She hasn't had a stomach issue since. Big difference and I am now wondering if her problems has been the chemicals and minerals in the water.

Regardless, I am sold on filtering my dogs water going forward. Even bought an extra pitcher to take on hunts with me in the fall.

Thought I would pass it along, in case anyone else has a dog with stomach problems. Might not be the food and filtering dogs water might be worth a try.
You may be on to something there:
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/canine-n ... -nutrient/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:01 pm

Attached is a spreadsheet reflecting a recent water filter comparison off of a YT video(link provided). The water tested was from the Phoenix area I believe and the far left column reflects the chemicals found in that sample of water and various filters ability to remove them. Every City is likely going to be different; some have fluoride and some don't...some will have more nitrates from fertilizer etc., depending on location but does reflect an ongoing issue with water quality. Well water can have its own issues with Giardia, pesticides and nitrates from generations of farming run off.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =759150934
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeRGnHuYol8

Far from scientific but my old dog is seemingly healthier and it seems logical that there wouldn't be much downside to using a water filter. Minimal cost and effort on my part.