What do you feed your dog(s)?

BlessedGirl

What do you feed your dog(s)?

Post by BlessedGirl » Wed May 25, 2022 2:59 pm

Just curious what you feed your dogs. What kind of kibble? Do you add in any meat scraps or any other things? If not kibble, what? What's your success rate with your current dog food diet?
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

Garrison

Re: What do you feed your dog(s)?

Post by Garrison » Wed May 25, 2022 4:48 pm

Two questions:

1) What is your criteria for success?

2) Have you already finished reading the volumes that have been written on the subject under the health an nutrition tab? If you have, you’re good! 😉

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Wed May 25, 2022 8:36 pm

Oh, no, I wasn't wondering what I should feed my dogs, although it may have sounded like that. I am already satisfied with how my dogs are doing health-wise and have no inclination to switch their food, but somehow I just got this bug to ask and see what y'all feed. :)
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 am

Purina ProPlan. No table scraps. Only supplement I use is Cosequin.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:50 pm

NutraSource Chicken and Rice. I generally throw in 1/4 can of cheap canned food to motivate my 12-year-old dog, as his appetite is sometimes a little slow. And what the heck. He seems to like my cooking!

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Fri May 27, 2022 11:06 pm

I have tried.a number of different brands over the years with varying results. Some dogs do well on different food and food formula's change. I fed PPP 30/20 Salmon and Rice. I normally add a food topper that I make at home with beef, sardines, chicken gizzards, liver etc., Make 4 to 6 qts. at a time.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun May 29, 2022 8:39 am

Sportsman's Pride 26/18.

Been feeding it for about ten years now. As far as table scraps and such, that is my wife's department. She gives them the occasional leftovers and stale bread and a pouch or two of cheddar cheese goldfish every once in a while. In the hot weather, they really go for the occasional bucket of ice cubes. They grind them up. I think it helps clean some of the tartar off their teeth too.

The dogs are... and have been healthy and have plenty of energy.

RayG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:35 am

Inukshuk 30/25. Nothing else.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:46 am

Dog is 9 years old.

Pro Plan
Bright Mind
Adult 7+ Senior
chicken/rice

recently switched to Pro Plan Complete Essentials 26/16 (less fat and calories for my old dog).
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:20 am

PPP Sport Salmon & Rice 30/20. I float my dogs food daily with filtered water. I also add a few tbs of food topper that I make myself with beef, chicken, liver, sardines etc., Adds small nutritional value but encourages eating when they are tired and I use it to spike their morning water when hunting. We don't give them anything else.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:02 pm

I was feeding Pro Plan and had quiet alot of success with it however have since changed. When it hit $80/bag I stopped feeding the food and started feeding Inukshuk 26/16.

Inukshuk vacuums the fats into the kibble which makes it 30% more dense than the PP so I found I feed alot less.

Inukshuk when added to water turns grainy and breaks apart where the PP swells up and breaks apart. Less chance of bloat or twist with the Inukshuk because of this.

Performance from the dogs seem to be about the same. The only thing I haven't tested hard was recovery. I didn't really have any days where my dog wasn't able to go, and I have some pretty high expectations, however I wasn't able to hunt as hard as I would have liked.

The dogs in our group seem to use more when fed the Inukshuk than with PP, we are feeding less and able to maintain the same condition. So the dogs are getting more out of the Inukshuk.

Inukshuk is a canadian company, yes PP is made in Canada as well, but Cody is based in Canada. That means a higher quality product than that made in the USA. Look at the food standards guides in Canada vs the USA if you don't believe me.

The last is the bill, I pay 25% less or for Inukshuk than PP, or 30% more for PP than Inukshuk, however you want to look at it. On top of feeding less it's quiet the savings. A friend was feeding 4 bags a month of the PP Vet diet at $100/bag and has since cut that down by 40%. In my house I am feeding a 45lb GSP and a 50lb setter, we go through roughly a bag every 4-6 weeks.

The downside to Inukshuk is availability. They don't do alot of retail stores, so unless there is someone in your area buying bulk to resell you have to order it online. I was the guinea pig in our group and have since gotten enough of a following we may start buying it by the pallet. Buying 3 or 4 months at a time for now and increasing if needed.

More and more are switching over to Inukshuk, you may want to give it a look and a try.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:00 pm

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:02 pm
I was feeding Pro Plan and had quiet alot of success with it however have since changed. When it hit $80/bag I stopped feeding the food and started feeding Inukshuk 26/16.

Inukshuk vacuums the fats into the kibble which makes it 30% more dense than the PP so I found I feed alot less.

Inukshuk when added to water turns grainy and breaks apart where the PP swells up and breaks apart. Less chance of bloat or twist with the Inukshuk because of this.

Performance from the dogs seem to be about the same. The only thing I haven't tested hard was recovery. I didn't really have any days where my dog wasn't able to go, and I have some pretty high expectations, however I wasn't able to hunt as hard as I would have liked.

The dogs in our group seem to use more when fed the Inukshuk than with PP, we are feeding less and able to maintain the same condition. So the dogs are getting more out of the Inukshuk.

Inukshuk is a canadian company, yes PP is made in Canada as well, but Cody is based in Canada. That means a higher quality product than that made in the USA. Look at the food standards guides in Canada vs the USA if you don't believe me.

The last is the bill, I pay 25% less or for Inukshuk than PP, or 30% more for PP than Inukshuk, however you want to look at it. On top of feeding less it's quiet the savings. A friend was feeding 4 bags a month of the PP Vet diet at $100/bag and has since cut that down by 40%. In my house I am feeding a 45lb GSP and a 50lb setter, we go through roughly a bag every 4-6 weeks.

The downside to Inukshuk is availability. They don't do alot of retail stores, so unless there is someone in your area buying bulk to resell you have to order it online. I was the guinea pig in our group and have since gotten enough of a following we may start buying it by the pallet. Buying 3 or 4 months at a time for now and increasing if needed.

More and more are switching over to Inukshuk, you may want to give it a look and a try.

You may want to check your math Mr. Doolittle. It may seem like it, and it may make you feel like you are feeding much less when you put it in a bowl, but I would wager you are not. If your dog is keeping the same condition, he is consuming the same amount of calories. Volume “cups” is not a measure of weight, feeding a kibble that is more dense may take less space in the bowl, but you are failing to recognize we buy and feed dog food by weight. Even so, PPP is more calorically rich per pound than even their 30/25 formula.

PPP 30/20 4390 Kcal/Kg 484 kcal/cup
Inukshuk 30/25 4125 kcal/kg 578 kcal/cup

Are there an equal amount of cups per pound/bag? I think not. It’s the old “what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?” You may indeed be saving a bit of money due to per pound or more importantly per calorie pricing, but it is not due to proprietary magic calories that allow you to feed much less.

Heard it is good feed, my dog was on it and seemed to do well when he was up north with a trainer. Glad it is working for you.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:09 pm

The proof is in the pudding. My dogs kept the same condition, eat less, and it's cheaper in my pocket.

The dog is using more of what's in the kibble. To me the proof is in the pudding and what I am seeing is proof enough.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:41 pm

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:09 pm
The proof is in the pudding. My dogs kept the same condition, eat less, and it's cheaper in my pocket.

The dog is using more of what's in the kibble. To me the proof is in the pudding and what I am seeing is proof enough.
You may be saving some money, but the proof actually lies in what has yet to been disproven, the first “law” of thermodynamics. It states that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but only transformed. Thus, your dog’s body is constantly transforming energy—in this case, kilocalories (from predominantly fats of the same source)—by combusting food to produce heat. It is physically impossible to provide a dog less calories and maintain the same condition. You are not feeding less weight, you are feeding less volume……of a feed which happens to be less calorically rich on a per weight basis.

Again, I am glad it’s working for you like most any good feed will. Even if you are having a difficult time wrapping your head around density. By density, I mean mass per unit volume, not the connotation of being slow to learn or understand, and lacking intellectual acuity.

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:23 pm

I get exactly what your saying.

What I am saying is less money out of my pocket, less food into my dog, same results. Win win win.

I am buying less dog food and it's lasting me longer. Volume or weight I get more time between bags and bags are significantly less money.

Call it what you want, I call it cheaper than PPP for the same results. No need to get all worked up over it.

This is the problem with dog food threads, no matter what you post, someone has an issue with it. Not sure what's worse, which breed is best or which pick up truck is best type threads :lol: :lol:

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:30 am

Dakotazeb wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 am
Purina ProPlan. No table scraps. Only supplement I use is Cosequin.
Just a side note to my first post on this thread. I had been feeding my now 6 year old spayed female Brittany PPP Sport 30/20 but really had to watch that she didn't put on any extra weight. Earlier this year I switched to PPP Complete Essentials 26/16. With less fat and calories I haven't had to monitor her weight as closely and I have not noticed any reduction in energy or stamina. Think I will keep feeding it right through hunting season and just give her some extra kibble on days she is working hard.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

mask

Post by mask » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:39 pm

gun powder mixed with wolf blood poured over pro plan :lol:

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:09 am

mask wrote: