Fungal infection treatment

danceswithquail

Fungal infection treatment

Post by danceswithquail » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:57 am

After 40 years of owning gun dogs, this is the first time I have had one have a pretty bad fungal/yeast infection in her front paws. Big trip down to South Texas this weekend, but she has two wart looking bumps on one front paw and is favoring it. Vet put her on Ketoconazole, but was wondering if anyone had battled this and had figured out a quick fix topical solution to get her more comfortable as we are already a little lean on dog power.

Garrison

Re: Fungal infection treatment

Post by Garrison » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:55 pm

I had a dog with some infection in his pads from a run in with some cactus. Our vet directed me to soak the feet in a warm vinegar, water and think it was Epsom salt mix twice a day, before applying a topical medication. It was pretty amazing what worked itself out of his pads after a few day. Debris other than cactus spines made its way out. He also said it would help the yeasty smell that he had going on.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

danceswithquail

Post by danceswithquail » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:30 pm

Thanks Garrison, saw that mentioned somewhere, giving it a try when i get home

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:49 pm

Live culture yogurt will fight a surface yeast infection, if you can keep it on there long enough. Athletes foot medication for fungus, but only if you can keep the dog from licking it.

Gold bond powder works pretty good on both.