Hypothermia > False Pregnancy > Mammamry Gland Removal > Lymphedema?

media310

Hypothermia > False Pregnancy > Mammamry Gland Removal > Lymphedema?

Post by media310 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:53 am

Been a long couple months. My dog had a mammary tumor removed. Then a month later had a second false pregnancy. Few weeks after I took Char skiing with me, 30 minutes into the day she stopped walking. Started panting really hard through her nose and would not breathe through her mouth. I had to carry her out of the backcountry took about an hour. She was shaking considerably by time I get her down to car and then to the vet her temp was 90.2 the vet told the assistant to get another thermometer.

We got her warmed back up, ivy and blankets and she went home later that day.

That night she started having trouble breathing so I took her back to the vet (first of many emergency trips) and he gave her some Tussigan and Temoril to help with the breathing.

Then we realize her mammary glands seems infected so the decision is made to remove them. The plan (which now seems very aggressive) was to remove all the glands and spay her at the same time.

After getting 2 infected glands out Monday Jan 3rd , her temperature dropped to hypothermic so they stopped the surgery. When I went to pick her up I was told there was some blood that needed to drain and that she had a drain in her belly.

2 nights later her leg and foot swell up like a balloon. So back to the vet for another night emergency visit. He wrapped her leg with compressions bandages and said it was Lymphatic Fluid.

WTF is happening?

Garrison

Re: Hypothermia > False Pregnancy > Mammamry Gland Removal > Lymphedema?

Post by Garrison » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:44 am

Wow, that was tough to read and I imagine much tougher to go through. Sorry for your and your pups current misfortune, hope you can get it sorted out ASAP.

Garrison

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:48 pm

Wish I could help.. I had a female that went through a false pregnancy, got really sick and had to have an emergency hysterectomy. That fixed her and she was back to normal in a couple weeks. All I could think of would be to take her to your University Vet hospital or have your vet consult with them for a second opinion(if you haven't already).

Hope things work out.

media310

Post by media310 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:43 pm

Well she has fluid in her lungs. The last few nights were really hard for her to breathe. I said my goodbyes last night and hoped for the best today at the vet.

The findings, fluid in her long and low grade soft tissue carcinoma of a type that's nerve sheet tumors under both armpits. The plan was to cut them out, but the tumors are spreading, there's something around her heart and they took a Liter and Half of fluid out of her lungs today.

I wrote this earlier:

Today I found out my dog is dying. At 11 years old she had a great run, was a wonderful best friend and even better partner in the backcountry splitboarding, running, biking and hunting. And man what a great cuddler she is, a ball of warmth perfect for snuggling with me under the blankets on cold winter nights, or year round for that matter.

Buddhism has taught me about impermanence, nothing is constant, everything is in change and nothing last forever, not you, nor I or my dog. It’s a given that one day our parents will die and the same can be said for our pets too. It would just be nice if we had a say in the matter, but that’s not how the cycle of life works.

Everything is perfect, everything is happening exactly how it’s supposed to be. Fighting change will only allow us to suffer. But back to my dog.
I adopted Char when she was 8 months old, she is now 11. She’s been by my side literally every day and every hour of that time. I was fortunate enough to run my own business and set my own schedule that revolved around lots of time with my dog.

When I would travel, it was always tough especially at night sleeping not having my dog to cozy up in a ball with me under the covers. So I started using pillows to mimic having her by my side. I’m not sure pillows are going to work this time around.

At some point within the next 6 weeks the decision will be made to put my dog down. It’s something I knew would one day happen but liked to just keep sweeping it under the rug to think about in the distant future.

I do want to be with my dog for the last bit of her life and plan to be there with the vet when we have to relieve her of her pain. My hope is she will be welcomed with open arms wherever she may go. Perhaps my dad will be waiting for her in heaven with our old English sheepdogs.

This too shall pass, but my love for Char will never diminish.

Char I love you so much, thank you for being the best friend anyone could ever ask for!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:45 pm

It's really hard when they get old and start slipping away. I feel for you--I've been there and done that (too many times). You have had a lot of years and good times with her--and you will remember her and all your good times & good hunts in the future. In future hunts you will see her locked up in your mind, with a perfect point & retrieve. Sorry for your upcoming loss.

media310

Post by media310 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm

The vet came over this morning after she struggled last night. Char went peacefully while we laid in bed together. Thanks everyone! The vet waited maybe 2 minutes and said you going to get another pointer?

I laughed said why would you think that? Then I said OF COURSE!

I have a big heart and can't wait to share that again when the time is rite.

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am

I am really sorry for your loss.