Lacerated Front Pad

BlessedGirl

Lacerated Front Pad

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 pm

Well, Indy goes and cuts her pad today. I think on a rock. It was bleeding pretty good but she didn't seem to favor it that I noticed. Nobody knew anything was wrong except there was blood all over the place. I cleaned it up and bandaged it and have her hanging out inside now. I think she would be fine if I put it in a sling of some sort, but when I let her outside to go potty tonight she used it and it started bleeding again.

Any advice how to aid a speedy recovery?

P.S. Suddenly this evening the other dog, Rainey, starts running around with her front paw held up, "hurting". Almost makes me wonder if she plays copycat so she can come inside too :) ...
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

jmez

Re: Lacerated Front Pad

Post by jmez » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:52 pm

Should get it sutured. Best and quickest way for it to heal.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 am

As jmez said. Sutures.

Running around outside will just end up with an infected paw.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:13 pm

The only cut pad I ever had to deal with my vet said it couldn't be sutured. It was quite deep and on a very strong GSP that my vet knew well. He said kennel him for 8 weeks.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks. I called the vet this morning.
Sharon, I meant outside with a bandage and plastic bag around the bandage. Not bare paw.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:00 pm

Sorry . Missed that. Didn't think of that helping as my dogs have always ripped the bandage off 3 minutes after I put it on. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Haha, no problem! I didn't have bandage supplies on hand so my makeshift bandage was pretty lame anyway. :)

I sent a picture of her paw to my vet. He gave me a call and said since the sutures on the paw often come out anyway, he recommended I just bandage it up and let it heal on its own, disinfecting periodically with diluted iodine. I picked up some supplies at Wilco and now she's all bandaged up properly, lol (and now she can't get the bandage off!).

Thank you for the suggestions tho :)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:22 pm

In the chukar hills, it is pretty common for one of my dogs to tear up, cut up, or run off his pads. I clean them with a warm soak in a dish tub, pack them with bag balm and do a couple wraps of vet wrap around the ankle before duct taping a couple of my daughters old socks on his foot. They like to lick the bag balm off and will pull off the sled dog booties to get to them. A week or two in the penalty box, and we are usually back in business.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Indy's been confined all month long except for potty breaks, but almost ready for freedom again! Here's a couple progress pictures from day 1 and day 23. Now she's probably wishing she could be out exploring in the snow.
IMG_2440 (1).JPG
20211222201615_IMG_2521 (1).JPG
20211212105758_IMG_2460 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.