Food Help

Iowa_Dude

Food Help

Post by Iowa_Dude » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:42 pm

I just switched my pup to Eukanuba lb pup last month, almost through the 33lb bag and I can't find a bag anywhere. What is going on with Eukanuba? So I have been reading a lot of you feed PPP, I will most likely go with this but have heard of a few issues with the new formula. What do you guys suggest? Thanks.
Hawk -14 weeks old Chessie.

art hubbard

Re: Food Help

Post by art hubbard » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:00 pm

PPP- Salmon & Rice or Chicken & rice...Hands down. Been feeding PPP for years, no issues

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 pm

In all my years of dogs, I have yet to find a dog that was fed Purina Pro Plan that wasn’t doing well.

Switch the pup over gradually and keep him on the slim side, you will have a healthy happy pup.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:27 pm

I am feeding my young GSP the PPP Salmon and Rice and she does well on it. I think Victor is good food too but has fewer calories per cup than the PPP, if that matters to you. When I was looking at different dog food, a friend of mine told me he tried Victor and his dogs liked it but he couldn't keep weight on his GSP's and went back to PPP fwiw. I took his advice and its worked so far for mine.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Victor is a good feed. With the much higher calcium and phosphorus levels, I don’t think it would be my first choice for a large breed pup. Make sure to check the AAFCO statement, it needs to say “for 70lbs or larger” to be suitable for a big retriever pup.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:58 am

Garrison wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:25 pm
Victor is a good feed. With the much higher calcium and phosphorus levels, I don’t think it would be my first choice for a large breed pup. Make sure to check the AAFCO statement, it needs to say “for 70lbs or larger” to be suitable for a big retriever pup.
Good point. Edit: I noticed on the Victor website that they have come out with a formula for large breeds fwiw. Something to compare to PPP.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:51 am

From what I've read is that most of Eukanuba's dry dog foods are being made in Australia. Here is a link to an article from their web site:

https://www.eukanuba.com/au/articles/eu ... transition

Like others have said above, I'd look at switching your dog to something like Pro Plan.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:51 am
From what I've read is that most of Eukanuba's dry dog foods are being made in Australia. Here is a link to an article from their web site:

Like others have said above, I'd look at switching your dog to something like Pro Plan.
Well that explains why he can't find it. Likely sitting on a ship off the coast of California. Fortunately we still make quality dog food here.

Iowa_Dude

Post by Iowa_Dude » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:47 pm

Ppp is not agreeing with my pup. He kept me up all night puking, then the house hade puke all over when I got home from work. Stools seem normal. It is possible he got into something or another I don't know about. I'll give it another day, Eukanuba is back on petco shelves. I'm almost half tempted to just take it back anyway. Where's the receipt🤔 thinkbi tossed it...

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 pm

I would be willing to bet it’s not the food, it’s the switch or something else. Did you transition slowly?
- Mark Twain-

Iowa_Dude

Post by Iowa_Dude » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:21 am

He did fine last night, we finally got some sleep. He had only eaten maybe a cup to two cups total before he got sick. Started with about a 1/3 cup with 3/4 cup old. Transitioning slowly. Bumped it up to half n half today. Must have gotten into something I didn't know about I dont know but all is well. Reckon I'll continue the switch, If eukanuba is going to be hard to find in the future id rather get this over with now.

channeledbymodem

Post by channeledbymodem » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 am

Dakotazeb wrote:From what I've read is that most of Eukanuba's dry dog foods are being made in Australia. Here is a link to an article from their web site:

With respect, you misread that article you linked to. It is an announcement from Eukanuba *Australia* that they are increasing manufacturing capacity in Australia *for Australia*. This is being spun as consumer friendly, since less product will need to be imported and thus *more* available in *Australia*.

This had nothing to do with the US or other territories. The reason a big company has factories all over is to minimize the shipping cost of ingredients and distribution. It would make no sense for a company doing business in the US to ship all of its product in from half way around the world.

I feed a variety of Purina products and they have been intermittently unavailable at Walmart and Amazon in some formulas and sizes. So far Purina had more or less held the line on prices.

Tl;Dr: Eukanuba shortages are not due to a shift in manufacturing.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Iowa_Dude

Post by Iowa_Dude » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Yeah I kinda read it the same way. Im a contractor and work at several Iams/eukanuba, royal canin, and other manufacturers. Very impressive facilities. Purina plants I go to are for cattle feed only around here, and hopefully their dog/cat food facilities are not like their cattle feed ones. Its terrifyingly below lowest standards imaginable. Covid has everything backed up, I'm just surprised noone can keep stock here with a plant being so close. Anyway, Hawk is doing great, but I think the purina gives him a little more gas than eukanuba did. Other than that, were happy.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:25 pm

channeledbymodem wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 am
Dakotazeb wrote:From what I've read is that most of Eukanuba's dry dog foods are being made in Australia. Here is a link to an article from their web site:

With respect, you misread that article you linked to. It is an announcement from Eukanuba *Australia* that they are increasing manufacturing capacity in Australia *for Australia*. This is being spun as consumer friendly, since less product will need to be imported and thus *more* available in *Australia*.

This had nothing to do with the US or other territories. The reason a big company has factories all over is to minimize the shipping cost of ingredients and distribution. It would make no sense for a company doing business in the US to ship all of its product in from half way around the world.

I feed a variety of Purina products and they have been intermittently unavailable at Walmart and Amazon in some formulas and sizes. So far Purina had more or less held the line on prices.

Tl;Dr: Eukanuba shortages are not due to a shift in manufacturing.

My bad.

Iowa_Dude

Post by Iowa_Dude » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:42 pm

Been a little while, Hawk is doing great. His hair is more lose curley then do rag tight tight curly. Not sure if that was anything other than a bath that did that or not. But! His poops are noticeably smaller. He did get into the pantry while at work the other day, not sure what he ate but came out like white dried marshmallows... energy is still 1,115% I haven't seen any change even with lower calories. Also I made some comments earlier about his farts. They have gotten to be less often and they are not as putrid smelling. All in all, he's still a great pup and coming along very nicely. Purina made him living with us "especially in our bedroom" alot more tolerable. "Not a salesman or endorsed". Still working on discipline. Haven't even really gotten to the "hunting" work at all other than play fetch. He's very hard headed. But, he's going to get there. Have a good day.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Great to hear back - so often folks ask, get answers and are never heard from. Thanks for posting.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:36 am

Seems a lesson to be learned here is... keep a large enough supply on hand that your supplier being out for a month doesnt cause a panic.

I buy almost all my ppp and victor at my local Lewis drug store. 10% discount for seniors first week of the month. Lowest everyday prices plus rotating weekly sales. Buy 11 bags and your 12th is free. Only drawback is is low quantity and occasionally out. That is why I buy at least 2 bags everytime and try to always have 200ibs in reserve .

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:40 pm

Garrison wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 pm
I would be willing to bet it’s not the food,
Not to get in any 'Manufacturers food debate' ..!! Because nobody ever is going to say the food they currently feed their dog who is currently healthy is going to say the food they are feeding is bad!? ...for their dog.
I feed mine 'Everything' ..Yup ...everything they can eat ,that's raw, to kibble made by everyone and anyone and everything else leftover . I never have a problem when a particular supplier runs out .Often ..nay' more often than naught, the slightest thing wrong with either toilet or health or ailment or attitude with dogs these days , the first/mostly is diet or food. And it simply ain't So. (imo)
Cabbage ...It's good for dogs that live in kennels ,mind you , it's not so good for humans who eat too much and live in the same cell block 'for fourseasons'. :wink:

channeledbymodem

Post by channeledbymodem » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:05 am

Iowa_Dude wrote:Purina plants I go to are for cattle feed only around here, and hopefully their dog/cat food facilities are not like their cattle feed ones. Its terrifyingly below lowest standards imaginable.
Purina's livestock feed division and its factories were sold in 1986 to Land O'Lakes. Purina Mills is a completely different company from Purina Petcare. Purina Petcare's quality control is among the best in the industry. Irrc, Pro Plan dry food has never had a recall. In recent years, mostly Purina wet foods have been recalled, and then for vitamin irregularities, rather than contamination.

MarkMN

Post by MarkMN » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am

The breeder I got my EB from recommended Nutri-source, so that's what I've been feeding my pup. Seems to be doing well on it, coat looks good, he's growing , etc. He's only 3 months old, so he hasn't been on it for months or anything ☺ Nutri-source is made a couple hours from where I live, so that's a plus.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:32 pm

MarkMN wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am
The breeder I got my EB from recommended Nutri-source, so that's what I've been feeding my pup. Seems to be doing well on it, coat looks good, he's growing , etc. He's only 3 months old, so he hasn't been on it for months or anything ☺ Nutri-source is made a couple hours from where I live, so that's a plus.
I fed NutriSource Adult Chicken & Rice to for several years to my previous dog. Excellent dog food made in Perham, MN by the old Tuffy's dog food company. A family owned business. My dogs did very well on it. My current dog seems to do better on ProPlan for some reason but I have considered giving NutriSource a try again.

https://nutrisourcepetfoods.com/categor ... trisource/