My dog can't stand up

traveler

My dog can't stand up

Post by traveler » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:48 am

dog.jpeg
I picked up my dog, a pointer mix when she was about 2. I have had her for about 18 months. She has turned out to be the best dog I have ever had the pleasure to train. She is also by far the most athletic dog I have ever been around. She has some pretty muscly hind quarters.

For the 3rd time in about 2 months she is unable to stand. The first vet visit seemed to be the worst. I carried her into the vet and out of the vet. We left with Pred and a painkiller. I am not sure how much pain this causes, I will just say 4 out of 10.

We thought we were past it and then a week or 3 later it happened again. Back to the vet we went. Maybe slightly less severe this time. This time we get the same routine and the doc calls us back and says she suspects rocky mountain tick fever. The test comes back positive and we go through 3 weeks of antibiotics while tapering the pred out. Energy and strength seemed to return. We have hiked and walked several miles at a time nearly every day for the last 2 weeks. Everything was going good and her energy seemed to completely return.

Here we are 2 weeks past her last antibiotic and she is unable to stand (well). I helped her up and she hobbled out to take care of her business. That is where things stand.

When we are out in the woods there are always tasty treats left from raccoons, opossums, armadillos and foxes. I stop it when I can but it happens. I can't find anything that would indicate this could be a cause.

The other thing I noticed this morning is that she grabbed a dry piece of black walnut out of my workshop yesterday. She chewed on it yesterday. a 6 inch by 2 inch board and she pretty well rounded both ends off. I think I remember last time this happening making a mental note that she had also chewed on a small piece of walnut, I am not 100% sure on that though.

I did find one source that makes it sound like this could be a possibility.

If you folks could give my any insights I would greatly appreciate it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrison

Re: My dog can't stand up

Post by Garrison » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:19 am

Sorry to hear your pup is going through this.

So many things can cause similar symptoms, toxicity, injuries, and orthopedic reasons to infections, illnesses, and cardiovascular reasons it can be difficult for a vet to find the cause. Sounds like your vet was able to do that pretty quickly with that positive test. Curious if it could still be lingering. If you have the means and the time, taking a trip to a university hospital may be worth the trip.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:43 am

It sounds like Lyme Disease. Don't know where you live but that would be the first test here. I guess southwest if you have armadillos. It should
have responded to the antibiotics and Pred.........Cj

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:23 am

talk to your vet