Anyone switched from Pro Plan

PoorMansWrangler

Anyone switched from Pro Plan

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:04 am

Have fed Purina Pro Plan since I got my first dog (5 years) and now up to 2 dogs. Dogs have always done fine on it, younger pup seems to shed more than he should, but other than that I have been happy. However, prices have continued to go up, now up to $67 dollars for a 50 pound bag. Had. Anyone ever switched from Pro Plan, and if so what did you switch to? I have been looking at the Victor 30/20, but would love to hear other options

Garrison

Re: Anyone switched from Pro Plan

Post by Garrison » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:01 am

Yes, just about everyone has switched from Pro Plan at some point and most I know have found their way back. Victor is a good feed, Loyall was a good feed, just like many others. But my dogs have always seemed to do the best on Pro Plan and I can’t ever remember it not being readily available wherever I was or remember a recall.

At my local tractor supply, Victor 30/20 is $1.34 a lb, Pro Plan is $1.35lb. After submitting my receipts to the pro club and receiving a $25 visa after x amount of bags, Pro Plan is actually cheaper.

I do a lot of things to save a buck or two, my dogs nutrition is not one of them. I’ll gladly hold off on what equates to a Starbucks coffee and make a cup at home, to make up the small difference between Pro plan and Brand X. But, I also don’t have as many dogs as some.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:41 am

Would have to think about that.... Starbucks or dog food? :D ( You know I am kidding. )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:59 am

Sharon wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:41 am
Would have to think about that.... Starbucks or dog food? :D
Wouldn't take much thought here.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:42 am

slistoe wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:59 am
[quote=Sharon post_id=505849 time=<a href="tel:1633192917">1633192917</a> user_id=4373]
Would have to think about that.... Starbucks or dog food? :D
[/quote]

Sorry, I failed to mention, I am a connoisseur of sorts and have my beans shipped from a small batch roaster who continually win “best cup of coffee” in competition. :lol: Way better and still cheaper than Starbucks!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pm

Garrison wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:42 am
slistoe wrote:

Sorry, I failed to mention, I am a connoisseur of sorts and have my beans shipped from a small batch roaster who continually win “best cup of coffee” in competition. :lol: Way better and still cheaper than Starbucks!
I have three blends I choose between depending on the mood and what I am having it with (well four actually if I count the one I keep for mixing in Baileys) - or maybe 5 if you want to count the Nescafe Gold Instant that I mix a mocha with ... :lol:

My goto is the 454 Horsepower from these guys https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.ca/our-story but I do like their Grizzly Claw, Kick "bleep" and for a lighter roast the Three Sisters.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:09 pm

As for the original post - I tried Pro Plan but didn't find it as good as the Eukanuba. Won't save any money with that switch though.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:11 pm

slistoe wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pm
Garrison wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:42 am
slistoe wrote:

I have three blends I choose between depending on the mood and what I am having it with (well four actually if I count the one I keep for mixing in Baileys) - or maybe 5 if you want to count the Nescafe Gold Instant that I mix a mocha with ... :lol:

My goto is the 454 Horsepower from these guys https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.ca/our-story but I do like their Grizzly Claw, Kick "bleep" and for a lighter roast the Three Sisters.
I like your style!
- Mark Twain-

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:10 am

When Max my 2nd shorthair was on his way I was researching foods and found a Holistic food that looked like a good choice. Jax my first shorthair was a purina pup his entire life .Starting with puppy chow and graduating to pro-plan. Did great until cancer ultimately took him.

Now back to Max after a couple years on the high {Price} holistic food I switched him to pro-plan and he did very well & IMO much better then the holistic brand . In time I switched him to Purina One and he did fine on that for our lifestyle . I chose Purina One because a friend visiting for a weekend hunt was feeding his setter the Purina One and his dog was doing great on it. Purina One can be found in most any super market and living rural that can help.

Axe is on PPP all life stages and has been since coming home . I do notice Axe does shed more then any dog I have ever had but his coat looks great . A friend who feeds raw seems to think if I fed raw his sheding may deminish. IDK ?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:41 am

Max2 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:10 am
A friend who feeds raw seems to think if I fed raw his sheding may deminish. IDK ?
Is there anything that proponents of feeding RAW don't claim it will cure?

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:31 am

I, like many others, went away from ProPlan only to make my way back. Yes, the price has gone up but so has all the other dog foods and most everything. To find a comparable dog food to ProPlan you will end up spending just as much. And if you are feeding Sport 30/20 you generally feed less than other foods so take that into consideration also.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 pm

I have used PPP in the past and my son uses it now for his two dogs. If I had only one or two dogs, there is no question that I would be feeding PPP.

Over the years I have used several different feeds, mostly 30/20 and with a couple of exceptions the dogs did fine on them. Price and availability were my key criteria. I fed Kasco for many years until it was no longer available. it was a good quality feed and fairly economical. The dogs always seemed to do well on it. I generally did not switch a feed that I had settled on, until it was difficult for me to get locally, even if the price crept up significantly. Changing dog foods is always a PIA because I need to be sure that the dogs do welll on it and that takes time. If the feed changed its appearance or the dogs seemed to not do as well with it, I would switch and not look back. I fed a Sam's club product for about 8 years and the dogs did very will on it, but they changed suppliers and the feed was simply not the same, so I dropped them like a hot rock.
I have had as many as eight dogs and feeding a premium feed like PPP or Iams was not a viable opion on my income, so I looked into less well known brands for value while maintaining good nutrition.

In recent years I have dialed down somewhat, in terms of my dog activity. My current dogs do not work as hard or as often as their predecessors used to. I currently use a Sunshine Mills product called Sportsman's Pride and the feed I use is 26/18. I settled on it after the Sam's Club episode. I cycled through about four different feeds before finding the SP 26/18, including two that were pretty pricey. It keeps the dogs in great shape and, so far, I have not noticed any variations in the product or differences in the dogs' health and energy levels. It is literally half the price of Purina Pro Plan and since I am feeding four dogs currently, that does make a difference. I feel that it is a quality product. They make several other formulations including a 30/20 feed, but as I said, the 26/18 does everything my dogs need.

RayG

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:35 am

I left purina a couple years back when they knowingly allowed one of their manufacturing plants to continue to make the 50 pound bags of PPP to be made that was giving dogs horrible diarrhea unfortunately it also caused the puppies from my females litters to get watery diarrhea also problem they weren't even a week old I managed to save 2 out of the litter of 9 and the way it was handled by them I will never feed it again.
We went to diamond Hi Energy and I have been extremely pleased with the results for our kennel and the dogs that the PPP wasnt working on finally are maintaining a nice weight and energy levels. Feed the diamond performance lightly coated with Dumor Calf Colostrum to the puppies
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:18 am

I switched about 6 or 8 months ago from PPP to Inukshuk and really like it. 1/3 the price, same results, and they are starting to support pointing dog sports. Plus Canadian made which means better quality that USA made food.

I switched for the same reason, when I started it was $50/bag plus a $14 savings with the breeder program. Now it's $80 a bag here!

I can get Inukshuk for $45/bag if I buy a pallet. The hardest part is finding a back haul for the 500km trip.

Fun fact, Pro Plan has a plant in Canada as well to make food for the Canadian Market.

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:09 pm

I tried the Inukshuk 32/32 but it seemed a bit hot for my dog. I have been mixing it in with the PPP Salmon to use it up. At some point, I may buy a bag of the Inukshuk 30/25 to try. Right now I can get it for $54 a bag. Don't have enough dogs for a pallet. I was looking at the NutriSource Performance the other day at a Scheels. Seems like a quality dog food for a hunting dog but it doesn't seem to be as popular for some reason. Maybe distribution. I don't think Chewy sells it.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:35 am

Mosby wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:09 pm
I tried the Inukshuk 32/32 but it seemed a bit hot for my dog. I have been mixing it in with the PPP Salmon to use it up. At some point, I may buy a bag of the Inukshuk 30/25 to try. Right now I can get it for $54 a bag. Don't have enough dogs for a pallet. I was looking at the NutriSource Performance the other day at a Scheels. Seems like a quality dog food for a hunting dog but it doesn't seem to be as popular for some reason. Maybe distribution. I don't think Chewy sells it.
NutriSource is a quality dog food made in Perham, Minnesota. If you try it I don't think you will be disappointed. NutriSource quit selling their food through Chewy a few years ago when Chewy was acquired by PetSmart. I do believe there are some other online sources to purchase NutriSource. But as you know, Scheels has it as well as Runnings and other retail pet food stores.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5